No more Decca Records

Rate this topic

SadEyes

• Elders (Moderators)

Bad news, in general and for the upcoming X-Files-music-release. The traditional label Decca Records is being shut down before Valentine´s Day. A great loss not only for fans of classical music and movie soundtracks, but also not a good sign for the announced X-Files-music-release, because Snow stated in an interview that most likely Decca Records would release more music from the X-Files-tv-series. Of course, this wasn´t confirmed offically, but it gets me thinking. Let´s cross our fingers...rest in peace, Decca.

You can read the article here.

Guest Anephric

Light at the end of the tunnel: I know for a fact that more Mark Snow music is coming out this year. Can't say what at this point (since its still being worked on), but its going to be a good year for Snow fans.

Does this include X-Files music? Well, at this point, I honestly don't know. I don't hear everything, but I do wish I could confirm/deny Decca's closing having affect on the project. At its absolute worst, I'd assume the label's closing would be a major *delay* more than a cancelation; between BSX Records and LaLaLand doing what they do, if the material is "ready for use" then its just a matter of legally transfering rights and stuff.

• Elders (Moderators)

That´s really great to know, Anephric, can´t wait for it to happen. Of course, there are other labels, that can pull off such a release, but the fact, that we waited so many years for more Snow-music and that the record label, which was supposed to do that, gets shut down, just gets me thinking, that maybe Carters shows are still without luck in certain things... :oneeyedwinK

I´m sure that the release will come, but please, no more delays... :nope:

Guest Anephric
That´s really great to know, Anephric, can´t wait for it to happen. Of course, there are other labels, that can pull off such a release, but the fact, that we waited so many years for more Snow-music and that the record label, which was supposed to do that, gets shut down, just gets me thinking, that maybe Carters shows are still without luck in certain things...

Well think of it this way.

Despite the love you and I and everyone on this board shares for Millennium, it was hardly a hit in the form and fashion as X-Files or a Star Trek or a (God Help Us) CSI. It had a good run and that was really about it in the eyes of FOX.

Yet here we are, 10 years after the show was canned and we just *now* have a soundtrack release. Its obvious that someone in the mix - a music or album producer, or the like - knows theres a market for Mark Snow music. And while Decca did release music by Snow - that doesn't mean much considering soundtracks are such a niche market. We have all sorts of "homebrew" labels (and I mean that in the kindest, most loving sense!) that put out things that wouldn't exist if it was up to the general mass market.

Does Decca affect things? Yes, of course. But its hardly reason to give up hope. Snow is obviously interested in releasing the music (which is more than we can say for Bill Conti!) and since things like the Millennium release at LLL, we've proven theres continued interest in the man. Its all just a matter of time, really.

• Elders (Moderators)
Well think of it this way.

Despite the love you and I and everyone on this board shares for Millennium, it was hardly a hit in the form and fashion as X-Files or a Star Trek or a (God Help Us) CSI. It had a good run and that was really about it in the eyes of FOX.

Yet here we are, 10 years after the show was canned and we just *now* have a soundtrack release. Its obvious that someone in the mix - a music or album producer, or the like - knows theres a market for Mark Snow music. And while Decca did release music by Snow - that doesn't mean much considering soundtracks are such a niche market. We have all sorts of "homebrew" labels (and I mean that in the kindest, most loving sense!) that put out things that wouldn't exist if it was up to the general mass market.

Does Decca affect things? Yes, of course. But its hardly reason to give up hope. Snow is obviously interested in releasing the music (which is more than we can say for Bill Conti!) and since things like the Millennium release at LLL, we've proven theres continued interest in the man. Its all just a matter of time, really.

Just what I said in the other MillenniuM-Music-Thread...I just used different words... :oneeyedwinK

But, all is well, that ends well...Decca moves to Universal