What Made You Watch?

Rate this topic

Guest fledgling666

Saw 'The Mikado' by chance one night and was hooked. The high production values (i.e money well spent rather than lots and lots and lots of money badly spent), plus the considerable 'star power' of Lance Henriksen convinced me to keep watching past the first few seconds. He was a very wise choice of actor.

......WELL,MDM, if it had to be a S2 ep to start with you really can't get much better than "The Mikado", that's for damn certain.

~se7en :ouro:

It wasn't just one specific reason. At first I checked out the pilot because I was (and am now) an X-Files fan. Maybe I was too young or something but I didn't really get it and I ended up missing most of season one. The show went on a break here after Maranatha and I really started watching full time when it came back with The Paper Dove. Then something clicked and made me watch.

Like with the X-Files the secret of the show's greatness can't really be defined. It's a combination of many things. High production values (the look, the music), great scripts, the mythology (legion stuff and the season two storylines), Lance & a great supporting cast (during the first two seasons, third season characters weren't that great), the lack of TV clichés, etc. etc.

I have mixed feelings about the seasons being so different. It kept the show fresh but it caused too much continuity glitches and was probably one of the reasons why nobody watched the show.

Guest LucyButler2000
Being one of the lucky ones to see the pilot first, aside from my earlier post, the other thing that made me think 'Im gonna watch this series' is the fact that the group arent really explained. Its called 'millennium' and theres a millennium group so its about them, I thought. Frank wasnt asked to look at the case he took it upon himself and then we meet Peter and are let in a little about the group. Peter acting so secretive when he visits Frank it makes you think 'so whats this all about then?' but they dont tell us. Thats why I was compelled to watch the next and the next episode, to find out about this group Franks consulting for.

Actually, I think we've all answered this question with hindsight instead of our first reactions to the first episode we saw.

Yes! This was another reason I have been hooked on the show from the beginning. The "not-knowing" factor. The motives of the group not being explained outright made it more mysterious.

People don't HAVE to know everything. For example, one of my favorite movies is "Tremors". Its pure fun all around. The best aspect of that film (to me) is that they dont get bogged down with the science of science fiction and get right to the story at hand.

A good story can carry a lot of weight where others without are unforgiving.

Oh, I consider it's impossible to compare CSI and MillenniuM...

I watch this latter one because it's full of symbols, because L. Henriksen is made for the role (or rather the role is made for Henriksen :wink: ), because I'm strongly interested in the themes we can find in the series, and because the time is near...

Edited by Truth

Guest michjoto
Oh, I consider it's impossible to compare CSI and MillenniuM...

I watch this latter one because it's full of symbols, because L. Henriksen is made for the role (or rather the role is made for Henriksen :wink: ), because I'm strongly interested in the themes we can find in the series, and because the time is near...

the time is near... even withut the concept of the millenium I think this is a concept upon which we could spend considerable time in discussion :ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro:

the time is near...  even withut the concept of the millenium I think this is a concept upon which we could spend considerable time in discussion

That's right! the end of the world, of times, death, etc. is a universal theme, and so, that interests many of us, above all if we have quite spiritual concerns or worries...

Guest michjoto

I always felt that the Milenium idea was no more than a vehicle used to present what this program was all about. - the battle between good and evil - the struggle for salvation or damnation (or whatever those words mean to you) - I believe that those of us who hold this program in such esteem share that view - we are concerned with the spiritual aspects of humanity much more than the average person - most of whom don't even want to talk about such things. That is what makes this forum so important. :ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro:

.........oh, i don't know about that one, really. I know plenty of die-hard fans who couldn't care a whit about the spiritual aspects of anything on the show, let alone this world.

This program has the uncanny ability to affect people in many different ways and for many different reasons across the board.

-(no pun intended.)

~se7en :ouro:

I know plenty of die-hard fans who couldn't care a whit about the spiritual aspects of anything on the show, let alone this world.

Do I understood well?

How is it possible?

Guest michjoto

That's interesting. To me MM continuously presents the struggle of people conflicted by life's difficulties. The character of Frank Black recognizes their struggles and witnesses how they succumb to the "Dark side" (if you wil allow the hyberbole). His efforts are to prevent the chaos and distruction resulting. But often times he also sees the perpetrators as victims themselves. This is at the heart of all the Black Family scenes. Even Kathryn tells him that she knows he is trying to protect Jordan and her but, she tells him - he can't. There is no place to hide. He sees the evil in the world and knows it cannot be contained. As the seasons progress he realizes that all innocence has been lost. Until he himself finally has to run. This is classic tragedy. It is the eternal combat of good vs evil, regardless of how you want to define it. But it is definitely a spiritual matter.

And I find it to be the essence of what the program is about.

I'd be very curious to hear the attraction of MM to those who aren't intertested in the spiritual aspects of the program. Not that I would dismiss them. There are so many facets to the program that, when put together, make it extraordinary. It's simply that I thought my perspective was widely shared. Or perhaps we are saying the same but from a different perspective. :ouro::ouro::ouro: