Writing a book on Season One

Rate this topic

To my TIWWA Community,

I just want everyone to know that I'm in the midst of writing a book on Season One of Millennium. It's largely a book of praise focused on the light and dark of the show. I'm also trying not to include many spoilers as I want the show to both appeal to old fans and newcomers who haven't yet watched the series. I'm relying on a lot of the great material on this site, so thanks to Libby and everyone involved in writing/editing the transcripts, as well as the synopsis and character profile pages. I'm reading reviews of episodes to gather additional insights, and of course, watching the episodes again. So far, I dig into favorite scenes and highlight historical context where possible (e.g. the amount of children in foster care in the 90s as it relates to "Blood Relatives" or America's prison population as it relates to "The Judge").

I'm about 15,000 words into what I plan to be a 40,000-words manuscript. I'm still in the drafting stage, and after that, revision time, which will likely occur in the next week or so (I'm working on another book as well, so that gives me some time away from the book with fresh eyes and perspective).

I'm definitely going to be shouting out/recommending our community in the book as it's a fantastic place to engage with fans and an exceptional resource. I've got an exceptional artist working on the cover and drawings of villains like the Judge and Lucy Butler, and also some of my favorite recurring characters.

The book will be self-published, but as I plan to turn it into a series that examines all 3 seasons (over the next few years), who knows where it might lead and what publisher may be interested/which publisher I may reach out to after the first book. My author/blog website is https://www.rightguywrongtown.com if anyone is interested (I write a lot about politics, education & music and am beginning to delve into film). This is who we are!

Edited by davidmarx2000
  • Like 1

@Gotham Gal I have. Bought a hard copy when it came out a decade ago. I still read it to this day. Every essay is excellent, and I've referenced it a few times and will continue to I'm sure.

My book aims to focus on the dark and light in the episodes, as well as examine the historical context related to the stories and what I see as the subtext. I'm deliberately avoiding complete synopsis-style descriptions of the episodes. In the cases where I struggle to avoid revealing significant portions of plot, I'm adding a spoiler alert, because my hope is that someone new to the show would read it, not just time-tested fans.

I feel like there's not a lot of literature about the show. Aside from Back to Frank Black, most writers I've seen usually address Millennium as extensions in books they write about the X-Files, which is understandable given the two different worlds in popularity, but that's really my goal: add to the literature.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This sounds like an excellent project!

I'm working on a very different, very spoilery thing that discusses episodes but dives into the cultural context/religious focus/and how those themes connect to the world now, so I plan to follow your project, very curious about the direction you are going in. I think this show is such a rich text, I'm so glad to see more people diving in.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 8:25 PM, letty said:

This sounds like an excellent project!

I'm working on a very different, very spoilery thing that discusses episodes but dives into the cultural context/religious focus/and how those themes connect to the world now, so I plan to follow your project, very curious about the direction you are going in. I think this show is such a rich text, I'm so glad to see more people diving in.

Sounds like we have a similar project going. Definitely let me know when it's finished. I hit 30,000 words on this project and it's been on the backburner for a couple months now as I had other projects and just released a very different book for teens, Bruh Read the News: https://bookshop.org/books/bruh-read-the-news-a-teen-guide-for-fighting-disinformation-one-critical-thinker-at-a-time/9781088026373

This backburner period will let me get some fresh eyes on the project, however, and once again, with enjoyment return to Season One.

On 5/31/2022 at 1:32 AM, Gotham Gal said:

@letty. Good luck w/the project. It sounds terrific! please let us know when you've completed it.:)

Of course! I appreciate the interest.

• Like 1