Mark Snow Cds

Rate this topic

Guest goodbye2allthat

Guest goodbye2allthat

What are your favourite, and least favourite Mark Snow cds?

And which music cues would you like to see appear in future releases (like a hypothetical The Snow Files, Volume 2)?

I've got a few scores of his, all thanks to his work on the X Files that introduced me to him

The X Files: Truth and the Light is a great soundtrack, hampered by the fact that it only features music from seasons 1 - 3 (and there were better cues that could have been featured, such as the terrific music that accompanies Dr Ridley showing up at Scully's apartment in "Young at Heart") Plus it would have been nice if there were two versions, one with and one without the dialogue

The X Files: Fight the Future - Didnt like it at first, but then it really grew on me. Threnody in X, Plague and Crater Hug are probably my faves

Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All - One of my favourite soundtracks of his.

Disturbing Behavior - Very disappointing. I hardly listen to it

Millennium, Best of Season 1 - Superb. I especially love the music to Lamentation

Millennium, The Best of - Only just got it but I love Goodbye to all That and Omerta

In the Line of Duty - to be honest, I haven't really listened to it that much due to the fact that it has 4 tracks/suites, and they're about 17 minutes each in length

The X Files: Music from Season 5 Promo - found this on ebay and it consists of 6 tracks containing three suites from Post Modern Prometheus and 3 from Christmas Carol. I really like it, with the only downside being there wasn't msuic to more episodes

The Snow Files - Brilliant CD that highlights some of his best work. A lot of familiar themes here as some bits were reused for episodes of TXF and the like. I especially like the tracks in the Darkness and Desire section

Crazy in Alabama - Would have preferred a soundtrack with just his score, but again, there are some good tracks here.

I haven't yet got 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea but I hear that its a really good score, so I'll probably be getting that soon

Also, Helter Skelter is another I haven't got, or heard for that matter. Has anyone here got it? Is it worth getting?

Tracks I'd most like to see turn up are:

Harsh Realm - Main Titles, Hobbes theme and the music from the Pilot where Hobbes help his (virtual) fiance escape

Millennium - One that really stands out is the music to Luminary. I'd love to have that. There's probably more, but its been a while since I've seen season 2 and 3 (I'm getting there) so I'll probably remember more as I go through them

The X Files - Themes from Memento Mori, Redux, Scully's theme from Season 8, This is Not Happening theme, the music I previously mentioned from Young at Heart, the theme to Red and the Black where CSM types his letter and the music from the final scene in "The Truth"

Smallville - Without a doubt the original superman theme as used in Rosetta

Lone Gunmen - theme tune

Plus I believe he did the music to the original pilot of Dark Skies - I'd be interested in hearing that

*phew*

Now I open it to the floor

:ouro: Agreed regarding the Millennium works as Snow's best, but XF's and LG had some great music as well. I'd like to have it all.

Will Snow be doing the music for Spotnitz new "Night Stalker'???

Only makes sense.....

(He also did score for short-lived UPN series - "Haunted"....actually recycled some old MM scores....when he probably did not need to)

LL&P - fisbin

:ouro:

Edited by fisbin

• 2 months later...
Guest goodbye2allthat
I'm oddity, as my favorite movie score by Snow is "Jake Speed".

I've never heard of that. What was it - movie or tv?

Then again, I'd never heard of Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All, and thats one of my favourite scores by him

In scanning the Idiot Box (TV) this past Friday evening....I stumbled upon the sound of what I thought must surely be music from none other than Mark Snow. As I patiently watched the entire show (missed the opening credits) - attentively listening to each musical interlude - and after hearing and thoroughly enjoying each one more than the one before - I became insistant - to anyone who would listen (my wife being the only one at home) that this HAD to be music from Mark Snow.

Indeed - the ending credits proved me correct, as I knew my ears did not deceive me.

The show - actually not bad, and right up our alley - is Ghost Whisperer.

I had seen this show promoted during early fall - but excused it as just another "Medium"...

This is a bit more intense, however obviously not fully developed. If you think you can take Jennifer Love Hewitt seriously as an actor - this show is worth checking out.

Friday's at 8 PM EST in the USA on ....uggh...CBS.

If you just can't stomach the show - close your eyes & listen to more of the beautiful score music created by Mark Snow.

live long & prosper

fisbin

• 5 months later...
Guest MillenniumIsBliss

And which music cues would you like to see appear in future releases (like a hypothetical The Snow Files, Volume 2)?

I've got a few scores of his, all thanks to his work on the X Files that introduced me to him

The X Files: Truth and the Light is a great soundtrack, hampered by the fact that it only features music from seasons 1 - 3 (and there were better cues that could have been featured, such as the terrific music that accompanies Dr Ridley showing up at Scully's apartment in "Young at Heart") Plus it would have been nice if there were two versions, one with and one without the dialogue

The X Files: Fight the Future - Didnt like it at first, but then it really grew on me. Threnody in X, Plague and Crater Hug are probably my faves

Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All - One of my favourite soundtracks of his.

Disturbing Behavior - Very disappointing. I hardly listen to it

Millennium, Best of Season 1 - Superb. I especially love the music to Lamentation

Millennium, The Best of - Only just got it but I love Goodbye to all That and Omerta

In the Line of Duty - to be honest, I haven't really listened to it that much due to the fact that it has 4 tracks/suites, and they're about 17 minutes each in length

The X Files: Music from Season 5 Promo - found this on ebay and it consists of 6 tracks containing three suites from Post Modern Prometheus and 3 from Christmas Carol. I really like it, with the only downside being there wasn't msuic to more episodes

The Snow Files - Brilliant CD that highlights some of his best work. A lot of familiar themes here as some bits were reused for episodes of TXF and the like. I especially like the tracks in the Darkness and Desire section

Crazy in Alabama - Would have preferred a soundtrack with just his score, but again, there are some good tracks here.

I haven't yet got 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea but I hear that its a really good score, so I'll probably be getting that soon

Also, Helter Skelter is another I haven't got, or heard for that matter. Has anyone here got it? Is it worth getting?

Tracks I'd most like to see turn up are:

Harsh Realm - Main Titles, Hobbes theme and the music from the Pilot where Hobbes help his (virtual) fiance escape

Millennium - One that really stands out is the music to Luminary. I'd love to have that. There's probably more, but its been a while since I've seen season 2 and 3 (I'm getting there) so I'll probably remember more as I go through them

The X Files - Themes from Memento Mori, Redux, Scully's theme from Season 8, This is Not Happening theme, the music I previously mentioned from Young at Heart, the theme to Red and the Black where CSM types his letter and the music from the final scene in "The Truth"

Smallville - Without a doubt the original superman theme as used in Rosetta

Lone Gunmen - theme tune

Plus I believe he did the music to the original pilot of Dark Skies - I'd be interested in hearing that

*phew*

Now I open it to the floor

Interesting that you do not like the "Disturbing Behavior" S/T. I have never seen the movie because I heard it was terrible, so I have not heard the music either, but I did actually kind of like the main title, or whatever track that was on "The Snow Files". It is kind of has a sinister beginning, and then goes into some classic piano music that reminds me a bit of "The Exorcist". I agree, by the way, with your comments on "The Snow Files". I actually had no idea, until recently, that Mark Snow's work was so extensive. I thought his main claim to fame was Millennium and X-files and maybe a small amount of other TV work. I had no idea that he did several soundtracks for some well known motion pictures.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

PS, as I have probably mentioned before, I really agree with you on Luminary too. To me this is his best work. Omerta kind of stands out a bit too, but they are all great.

• Elders (Admins)

I love the Midnight of the Century music too, but the track I like most from that episode isn't on The Best of Millennium CD. I wish it was a double CD!

I love his Smallville scores too, especially the original Superman theme (brings a tear to your eyes) and the closing music.

By the way, if you want to grab some handy Luminary music I have them for download at MDUK.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I love the Midnight of the Century music too, but the track I like most from that episode isn't on The Best of Millennium CD. I wish it was a double CD!

I love his Smallville scores too, especially the original Superman theme (brings a tear to your eyes) and the closing music.

By the way, if you want to grab some handy Luminary music I have them for download at MDUK.

One of these days I am going to have to look into getting some of his music that is available on line. I have the ability to burn music on my CD Rom, but I don't get much music off the internet, and don't even know what an Ipod is exactly, so we will have to see what I can do. I also love the Midnight of the Century music. I listened to some here, and recognized if from the episode, and it really adds to that cozy, Christmassy, feel good, quality of it.

• 1 year later...

Go to YouTube.com and you can watch the entire 1976 TV movie "Boy In the Plastic Bubble", which Snow scored.

"Jake Speed" was a movie. It's not like his work from X-files onward. It's also not like his earlier work. It's very 80's synth, and good too. Catchy and full of good themes and motifs.