Avian Flu Update

Rate this topic

Guest SouthernCelt

Guest SouthernCelt

Spread of Bird Flu Boosts Pandemic Chances

The spread of bird flu from Asia to eastern Europe and now west Africa has increased the chance the virus will mutate and set off a pandemic, the U.N. bird flu chief said.

Dr. David Nabarro said there is no evidence yet of any change in the virus, which has killed at least 88 people since 2003.

Almost all the deaths have been linked to contact with infected poultry, but experts fear the virus could mutate into a form that spreads easily among humans, setting off a pandemic.

More here...

Spread of Bird Flu Boosts Pandemic Chances

The spread of bird flu from Asia to eastern Europe and now west Africa has increased the chance the virus will mutate and set off a pandemic, the U.N. bird flu chief said.

Dr. David Nabarro said there is no evidence yet of any change in the virus, which has killed at least 88 people since 2003.

Almost all the deaths have been linked to contact with infected poultry, but experts fear the virus could mutate into a form that spreads easily among humans, setting off a pandemic.

More here...

Southern Celt - i saw the same article today as well. I stopped posting updates because they were met with a "cant happen here" attitude...well, something wicked this way is coming, and i dont think you need a weathervane to tell which way the wind is blowin...

Its certainly worrying. Last I heard the UK Goverment had ordered a stockpile of anti-flu vacines but I recall the suppliers couldn't meet demand.
Southern Celt..some more "good" news on the H5N1 virus...

EUROPEAN LEADERS URGE CALM AS VIRUS SPREADS ACROSS EUROPE

European leaders took urgent new action to counter fast-multiplying outbreaks of bird flu, ordering poultry indoors to avoid infection but urging consumers not to panic.

The European Union's executive arm also warned that it expects more cases as warm spring weather brings a seasonal migration of swans and other wild birds carrying the potentially lethal disease.

Tick tock, Tick tock.............

4th Horseman

Guest SouthernCelt

I wonder if those that contributed to the Marburg w/prion storyline of the Season 2 finals episodes have ever thought about the similarities of their "fictitious" plague to what happening with the spread of avian flu?

I wonder if those that contributed to the Marburg w/prion storyline of the Season 2 finals episodes have ever thought about the similarities of their "fictitious" plague to what happening with the spread of avian flu?
Hey my good friend, with the climate of "controlled hysteria" that permeated large circles of society at the turn of the century, i dont think it places too heavy a burden of proof on the idea that the concept of a killer mutated virus, spreading unchecked around the globe, could or would kill a heavy number of its contemporaries. They certainly had the historical precedence to draw their ideas from when you consider that during the 20th century ALONE, there have been three quantified pandemics:

The 1918 Spanish Flu which infected nearly 40% of the world's population and killed over 20 million.

The 1957 Asian Flu, which, due to improving technological advancements in disease recognition and treatment, was recognized fairly early and a vaccine was developed to stave off the mortality rate. Still over 69,000 people in the U.S. died.

The 1968 Hong Kong Flu. In early 1968, the Hong Kong influenza pandemic was first detected in Hong Kong. The first cases in the U.S. were detected as early as September of that year, but illness did not become widespread in the U.S. until December. Deaths from this virus peaked in December 1968 and January 1969. Those over the age of 65 were most likely to die. The same virus returned in 1970 and 1972. The number of deaths between September 1968 and March 1969 for this pandemic was 33,800, making it the mildest pandemic in the 20th century.

Of course, as you know, these 3 COMBINED do not compare with one of the greatest natural disasters in history, The Black Death or more commonly referred to as The Plague. Sweeping thru Europe during a 5 year span, here is a summary of its effect:

25 million people died in just under five years between 1347 and 1352. Estimated population of Europe from 1000 to 1352.

• 1000 38 million
  • 1100 48 million
  • 1200 59 million
  • 1300 70 million
  • 1347 75 million
  • 1352 50 million

So as you see, the contributors to the Marburg/prions story most certainly had history on their side. It was more than likely calculated that there would be another pandemic resulting in a catastrophic event which would tear at the very fabric of society...Now with the unabated advance of the H5N1 virus, particularily at this time due to the navigational migration of birds, fowl, etc, well, as i said before:

Tick tock, Tick tock...

4th Horseman