Aged?

Rate this topic

Guest Core

Finally got to watch the S3 season finale...boy did Frank look old. I remember his hair turning grey the night Kath disappeared/died, but...man, did they deliberately make him look so old and...worn out? Well, he didn't look worn out, so to speak. when he had that gun in Watts' face, but...ya know?

Hey, Core!  Great Avatar, BTW!

So, did you see what I mean by the season 3 finale?  How it actually made for a good series finale even though it wasn't meant to be?

And, yes, in my opinion, they dilerberately let Lance's grey come thru, so he would look old and weather... sort of a man broken, or weathered by all his experiences with the Group, the millennium, the things that drove him to the brink of insanity twice... almost 3 times.  I think this was definitely diliberate.  Yeah, how 'bout that scene with the chair thru the glass doors!  Intense!  That qualifies as one of my top most intense MLM moments!

Scott

Finally got to watch the S3 season finale...boy did Frank look old. I remember his hair turning grey the night Kath disappeared/died, but...man, did they deliberately make him look so old and...worn out? Well, he didn't look worn out, so to speak. when he had that gun in Watts' face, but...ya know?

......scott is absolutely right! the gradual greying and the lessening of makeup was entirely intentional. to my recollection the idea was first brought forth by chip johennessen,who then told thomas j. wright-(producer/director)-who then approached henriksen. he wasn't too crazy,at first,about letting his natural grey show but that quickly dissapeared once all the reasonning behind it was explained to him.-(at least that's how i remember it being explained).

...if you watch the first eps of S3 his hair/general look was just about the same as S1/2 and then very gradualy they lessened the hair dye and then the makeup applications so that by the ep after "borrowed time"-(when jordan almost dies)-he was nearing total grey. there was even an instance when his aged look was actually exaggerated: see "the sound of snow" when frank falls down a rocky slope in the woods and he wakes up-(sic)-in katherine's arms. in that sequence he looks older than granite!

...me? i thought it was a stroke of genius and do not recall that ever "purposefully" happenning,as a dramatic device,before EVER on a television series.

~peace all,

se7en :ouro:

Wow! I am getting chills remembering my first reaction to noticing the effect of his hair gradually getting greyer, etc as the show/season went on!  (not to mention being really blasted with Franks pain, loss, and millennial heaviness when his hair turns white in The Time Is Now!)  I remember - that beyond just recognizing how brilliant it was for them to do this - I remember the actual mood and impact of the whole greying process... it really gave me the feel of the weight and weariness of Frank and all he had been through, as well as the weight and heaviness of the comming millennium, as portrayed in the show!  Brilliant, just brilliant!  Just another on of the amazing subtleties of MLM!

:hands4: Scott

>Hey, Core!  Great Avatar, BTW!

Thank you. It is actually a picture of me.

>So, did you see what I mean by the season 3 finale?  How it >actually made for a good series finale even though it wasn't >meant to be?

Yes, I did. I am kind of surprised that this was unintentional. It makes for a pretty nice ending for the series. Perhaps the same should've happened to The X-Files, cuz 1013 sure screwed up on 'The Truth', if you ask me...

>Yeah, how 'bout that scene with the chair thru the glass >doors!  Intense!  That qualifies as one of my top most >intense MLM moments!

Yeah, the Watts family dinner certainly got a little interrupted. I think this was an interesting scene, actually... This is the first time, I think, that I have actually seen Peter Watts AFRAID. Not a common thing at all.

Guest TheSunKing1972

Man, I had the same reactions about "Frank" aging...but I was wondering if it was deliberate...or Lance was just .....well......getting old quickly.  My mind set was, hell....maybe the show was taking a toll on Lance? Maybe he was having the same reaction to the "events" of the show...as his character did? If I walked around seeing demons.....or a doughnut shop full of demons (doughnuts are demons, for me anyway)  I might begin to age very quickly.

Any ways....I didn't know that "Goodbye to All That"

#MLM-322   wasn't supposed to be the last episode

:sad_big:  I want more MillenniuM :crying_big:  :frank_black:

Guest TheSunKing1972

sorry, had to reply to something else..............

OH YEAH MAN..........  when Frank went over to Watt's house and proceeded to sling a patio chair through the sliding glass door....OH MAN!!  :thumbsup_big:  :yes_big:  That's what I would have done!  I actually yelled out, "Oh SH*#!"  I was thinking "Now the show is getting REALLY good."  but then that was the last show..........that was kinda like a kick in the crotch.  :duh_big:

Guest fisbin

:thinking_big:

Damn Fox - I ceretainly agree...damn CC - I dunno...how responsible was he for the show's premature demise? Don't think he had mush choice...anyhow - as for the previous discussions on the rather sudden onset of greying hair...how about Cecil B. DeMille's classic Moses in The 10 Commandents?

live long & prosper

fisbin :Ouro_Large:

Guest TheSunKing1972
well, I just say that because he was the creator of the show...and I think he should have put more time into it...but I guess the MONEY was with X-Files..don't get me wrong...I liked The X-Files, but in my opinion, MillenniuM was a far better show. :thumbsup_big:  :frank_black:

"Hell's bells!" Where do I begin, with all these replies!

Core,Very cool effect, then on your picture!  How'd you do that.  And, yes, though my own nostalgia for The X-Files saved the series finale for me a bit, it still paled in comparisson to the season 3 finale, as a series finale.  And it was not even intended to be!  That is a sad statement about the XFs finale.

And, I have to disagree with Core on that being the only time we see Peter afraid.  I think we see fear in him several times... different times when we see fear in him about the Group, fear about not being able to control Frank and what the Group will do to him and Frank, if Frank doesn't fall in line, fear of the Group at the end of season two and three.  In fact, these fears were often coupled with an expression or additude of desparation.

I have heard that the dinning room scene was set up in way to make it even more realistic and intense.  I have heard that when they were shooting the shot, they did not tell Terry O'Quinn and the actresses play Watt's family exactly what was going to happen in that scene, in order to make them seem more convincingly startled and terrified.  I guess they were only told that the Frank character would be comming in the house somehow to confront Peter, and that Peter was to protectively tell his family to leave.  So, it definitely worked, I would say!!!

As far as CCs attentions to XFs over MLM, and Fox's decision to close the show... I have heard the CCs shows are notoriously expensive to make and produce.  So, with MLM just not getting the ratings... they probably didn't want to spent the money on making a show that wouldn't continue to pay off, etc.

Scott