From Hell

Rate this topic

Guest Tammy55

Guest Tammy55

Just watched "From Hell"  about Jack the Ripper and it was like Frank Black and "seeing" what the killer sees.

Was this based on fact???? A real character??? Or was it based on Frank Black because it is a popular thing to "see" things like that and would add to the movie and make money.

Just thoughts on the raping of the ideas of Chris Carter

Tam

Guest TheSunKing1972
I noticed that too when my wife and I watched the flick. It really does seem that ""Frank like" characters are every where now, but that's becasue we love MillenniuM so much. :thumbsup_big:  :frank_black:

Guest TheSunKing1972
another recent movie that seemed to borrow from MillenniuM (or they both borrowed from the same source) was "Red Dragon"  with comparisons to "Goodbye to all that"  killer/blind girl......killer watches video tapes of victims and tells blind girl it's an "instructional video"  :wink_big:

Guest Second Coming
I've noticed a lot of movies lately with characters that have an ability similar to Frank Black's.

Guest Tammy55

I think people have always "seen" things.  The folks of Salem Mass burnt them at the stake.  In the middle ages, they were tourtured and killed.  Even the christians were fed to lions.

Maybe we are  finally at a time when "seeing" is not so far fetched.  Society is playing with the idea, but not accepting it - yet.

Tam

Actually, I have to chime in here about Red Dragon.  I am pretty sure that the  scene in Good Bye to All That, was inspired by the book Red Dragon or the original movie that was based on the book, "Man Hunter" by the great director Michael Mann, and staring the awesome actor William Peterson.  In fact, it was Michael Mann that got me into the whole "man who can get into the mind of the criminal because he is one step away from becoming the criminal, or has the criminal personality profile, etc" first thru Miami Vice, then thru Man Hunter.  And it was Man Hunter, and Silence of the Lambs that got me into the whole forensics/profiling genre.  I was definitely ripe for MillenniuM when it came out.

Scott

Guest TheSunKing1972
Is it possible to come up with anything original? Yeah, I figured they came from the same source. :frank_black:

Guest Delbert

I think Millennium drew on Manhunter rather than Red Dragon (the novel), at least in its initial presentation of Frank's ability.  Mind you, that was when Carter was saying that it was basically the same ability as that of Will Graham - extreme empathy, to get into the mindset of the criminal.

As for "From Hell", the film conflated two of the characters from the graphic novel, who were themselves real people involved in the Ripper case.  The detective, Abberline, was not a psychic or an empathic profiler, but there was a person who claimed to be psychic involved in the case.  Check out the graphic novel - it is excellent!