Gillian Anderson's Directorial Debut...

Rate this topic

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___

I would be VERY interested to hear what you fine people thought of the episode that Gillian Anderson directed? I personally thought it was beautifully done; the cinematography, editing, and use of soundZ were transcendent! The overall thought behind the episode was basically a spiritual journey and enlightenment for Dana. It honestly is one of my VERY favorite X-Files episodes, just from an artistic and especially an auteur, directorial angle. I was EXTREMELY impressed with her talent behind the camera!

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I would be VERY interested to hear what you fine people thought of the episode that Gillian Anderson directed? I personally thought it was beautifully done; the cinematography, editing, and use of soundZ were transcendent! The overall thought behind the episode was basically a spiritual journey and enlightenment for Dana. It honestly is one of my VERY favorite X-Files episodes, just from an artistic and especially an auteur, directorial angle. I was EXTREMELY impressed with her talent behind the camera!

Well, you asked for the opinion of the "fine people" here, but I didn't think you would mind if I responded as well. :oneeyedwinK I really thought it was exceptionally and uniquely done and I was not aware until Joe named the episode that she had directed it. This is a surprise, because this episode, and the style of the filming and so forth did not look like anyone's first crack at something. It had a thoughtful story and as you mentioned, some great cinematography, and if I remember correctly, it was one of the very good episodes in the last couple of years of the X-files. I'm not positive what year it was, but the credits include Doggett, so I am guessing it was S8 or S9. I agree, Gillian did do a very impressive job with the episode.

Well, you asked for the opinion of the "fine people" here, but I didn't think you would mind if I responded as well. :oneeyedwinK I really thought it was exceptionally and uniquely done and I was not aware until Joe named the episode that she had directed it. This is a surprise, because this episode, and the style of the filming and so forth did not look like anyone's first crack at something. It had a thoughtful story and as you mentioned, some great cinematography, and if I remember correctly, it was one of the very good episodes in the last couple of years of the X-files. I'm not positive what year it was, but the credits include Doggett, so I am guessing it was S8 or S9. I agree, Gillian did do a very impressive job with the episode.

I appreciate your comments guys! And thanks Joe for the title (I can be a lazy B@stard sometimes :yes: ) I know, an amazing first effort isn't it? Especially with the subtle and atmospheric use of songs accompanied by some really nice slow motion shots. What I really liked about the episode along with the lovely visuals were the nice trancendent spiritual quality and mood it projected.

Ironically, it appears that in the show Fox is the way out guy and Scully is the methodical scientist, whereas it appears in real life like Gillian is much more esoteric and metaphysical and Duchovny (going by the stuff he's produced and directed and taken a direct interest in) appears to be the ordinary down to Earth guy.

Weird huh...? :yes:

Guest Laurent.
Ironically, it appears that in the show Fox is the way out guy and Scully is the methodical scientist, whereas it appears in real life like Gillian is much more esoteric and metaphysical and Duchovny (going by the stuff he's produced and directed and taken a direct interest in) appears to be the ordinary down to Earth guy.

I also think that Gillian is much more interested in esoteric stuff than David but I think that he's generally been involved with some pretty "out-there" things. He played in fantastic/sci-fi like Twin Peaks, X-Files and Evolution... and the two show he wrote for X-Files (The Unnatural and Hollywood A.D.) are pretty imaginative. Yet his first movie (House of D) seems REALLY down to Earth; but I still didn't have any chance to watch it.

Anyway, I loved the way Gillian directed All Things but I guess that when you have an excellent production team that has been together for two years and that you're surrounded by so many great directors (kim manners!! :rock2: ) it's hard not to succeed. By the way, I didn't say that to downplay her work... I'm just hoping that she'll be able to do as well as a director with her first movie than she did with All Things.

P.S. Not that it's that important but I just wanted to say that All Things was an episode from season 7...

I also think that Gillian is much more interested in esoteric stuff than David but I think that he's generally been involved with some pretty "out-there" things. He played in fantastic/sci-fi like Twin Peaks, X-Files and Evolution... and the two show he wrote for X-Files (The Unnatural and Hollywood A.D.) are pretty imaginative. Yet his first movie (House of D) seems REALLY down to Earth; but I still didn't have any chance to watch it.

Anyway, I loved the way Gillian directed All Things but I guess that when you have an excellent production team that has been together for two years and that you're surrounded by so many great directors (kim manners!! :rock2: ) it's hard not to succeed. By the way, I didn't say that to downplay her work... I'm just hoping that she'll be able to do as well as a director with her first movie than she did with All Things.

P.S. Not that it's that important but I just wanted to say that All Things was an episode from season 7...

Thanks laran! Excellent comments! Remember though the NEATO 'out there' shows that our awesome Mr. Duchovny has been in are only shows in which he has ACTED... As you mention, his theatrical DIRECTORIAL debut (in other words something that he is much more DIRECTLY involved in the creative aspect of...) I believe is much more indicative of his primary bent. You are quite right, the 2 shows that he either co-wrote or directed for the X-Files were absolutely wonderful shows and both masterfully and yes, quite imaginatively done. HOWEVER carefully consider the SUBSTANCE of the two shows: Alien baseball players & Making a move based upon their 'real' characters. Both shows had great humour and were well done, but honestly the stories were VERY straight-forward human nature type stories; nothing terribly ethereal, surreal, spiritual, or supernatural, really.

All I'm saying is that it really does appear that the stories that interest him MOST seem to be grounded in very human interest type things, whereas Gillian's creative ability does appear to spring from more of a metaphysical inner direction. And you make a good point; a first time director couldn't possibly ask for a better crew around them to make their ideas work! :yes:

Guest betweenthelines

I thought Gillian did a fine job. The sequence when Scully finds her way to the Buddhist temple was stunning. It was very artfully designed. The special effects for Scully's little vision/wake-up call were well-done too.

Did you know that 'all things' was supposed to be a two-parter? Sadly there wasn't enough room in the shooting schedule so Gillian had to make a few sacrifices to her story. She talks about it in-depth on the commentary track for this episode. Give it a go if you haven't listened to it before.

I thought Gillian did a fine job. The sequence when Scully finds her way to the Buddhist temple was stunning. It was very artfully designed. The special effects for Scully's little vision/wake-up call were well-done too.

Did you know that 'all things' was supposed to be a two-parter? Sadly there wasn't enough room in the shooting schedule so Gillian had to make a few sacrifices to her story. She talks about it in-depth on the commentary track for this episode. Give it a go if you haven't listened to it before.

Hey, THANKS BTL!!! (I always think I'm calling you a sandwich when I do that!) I didn't know that she did a commentary on that show, but it certainly stands to reason that she did. I'll definitely check it out; and, YES, that sequence was particularly good!!! :yes: