Has anyone read this?

Rate this topic

Guest SouthernCelt

Guest SouthernCelt

A poster on another msg. board (devoted to ghosts and such) cites a book called Demons: The Devil, Possession and Exorcism written by a retired priest named Anthony Findlay. This book is supposed to really 'tell it like it is' for priests that are practicing their faith. The poster said, "He steps up and tells what it really going on within the world of organized religion and what they don't want the public at large to know about." I checked on Amazon.com and found available hardbacks to be $48 and up and paperbacks $45 and up. Pretty steep for a casual read...

Book cover:

post-386-1152707913_thumb.jpg post-386-1152707973_thumb.jpg

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
A poster on another msg. board (devoted to ghosts and such) cites a book called Demons: The Devil, Possession and Exorcism written by a retired priest named Anthony Findlay. This book is supposed to really 'tell it like it is' for priests that are practicing their faith. The poster said, "He steps up and tells what it really going on within the world of organized religion and what they don't want the public at large to know about." I checked on Amazon.com and found available hardbacks to be $48 and up and paperbacks $45 and up. Pretty steep for a casual read...

Book cover:

post-386-1152707913_thumb.jpg post-386-1152707973_thumb.jpg

No, I haven't read it, but it does seem to promise to be a fascinating read. Sadly, it is indeed true about MANY things that 'go on' and have gone on in organized religion; just a casual reference to either The Crusades, the excesses of The Reformation when Martin Luther began burning people for the very same thing that he had done, and up to and beyond with the Priests and religious leaders WITHIN THE SAME FAITH, merely in different lands, blessing the weapons and troops, encouraging their parishoners to go and kill one another in World Wars I & II for political reasons.

Yeah, like I can REALLY imagine Jesus doing that! :wtf:

And, that's not even touching all the materialism, greed, power, burying misconduct, deliberate political manipulation (hmmm..., let's see now... I do believe it WAS Jesus who said that 'His Kingdom and his followers were NO part of the world' and were to be 'No part of the world' [John 5:18, 19; 17:16; 18:36; James 4:4; 1 John 2:15-17])

Sorry, it's easy to get me going (if you haven't noticed... :yes: )

I'm wondering whether "they don't want the public at large to know about" things like that because no one would believe them anyway. And if so, is because we (I include myself in a rather sceptical public) have lost all faith*, or are they really just ... well, you name it ...

On a side note: Where did you get from that Martin Luther burned people? The most violent thing he ever did from all I know was nail his theses to a church door. The conflict that erupted was between the Catholic church and Luther's followers, but I don't think it was Luther going out there and burning people himself.

I'm wondering whether "they don't want the public at large to know about" things like that because no one would believe them anyway. And if so, is because we (I include myself in a rather sceptical public) have lost all faith*, or are they really just ... well, you name it ...

On a side note: Where did you get from that Martin Luther burned people? The most violent thing he ever did from all I know was nail his theses to a church door. The conflict that erupted was between the Catholic church and Luther's followers, but I don't think it was Luther going out there and burning people himself.

Yes, good point Noah! Forgive me, it may not have been Luther himself per se; but after The Reformation Movement REALLY got going, many segments of 'his' group would then burn people at the stake for their 'heretical' view that conflicted with Luther. Remember, Martin Luther did a wonderful thing in boldly and fearlessly declaring where The Church was at odds with The Bible; sadly though, a while later due to political pressure (what else is new...?) he went back to almost the exact same teachings (Doctrinally) that he had originally decried. However, of course the new movement dispensed with a number of the 'Church Traditions' and practices such as the use of Images, paying money for dispensations and getting outta Purgatory, etc.

Don't feel too badly; I just read this recently (we do a LOT of religious and historical research concerning The Bible) and quite frankly it shocked the living daylights outta me. I NEVER dreamed that that kind of thing had gone on from The Reformation movement.

But, isn't that what it ALWAYS is about? POWER, POWER, POWER...

And yet Jesus barely had anything and NEVER dealt with the common people that way (although he DID indeed tear the Pharisees and Saducess[again Religious Leaders] a NICE BIG NEW ONE on many occasions! :bigsmile: )

Yes, good point Noah! Forgive me, it may not have been Luther himself per se; but after The Reformation Movement REALLY got going, many segments of 'his' group would then burn people at the stake for their 'heretical' view that conflicted with Luther. Remember, Martin Luther did a wonderful thing in boldly and fearlessly declaring where The Church was at odds with The Bible; sadly though, a while later due to political pressure (what else is new...?) he went back to almost the exact same teachings (Doctrinally) that he had originally decried. However, of course the new movement dispensed with a number of the 'Church Traditions' and practices such as the use of Images, paying money for dispensations and getting outta Purgatory, etc.

Don't feel too badly; I just read this recently (we do a LOT of religious and historical research concerning The Bible) and quite frankly it shocked the living daylights outta me. I NEVER dreamed that that kind of thing had gone on from The Reformation movement.

But, isn't that what it ALWAYS is about? POWER, POWER, POWER...

And yet Jesus barely had anything and NEVER dealt with the common people that way (although he DID indeed tear the Pharisees and Saducess[again Religious Leaders] a NICE BIG NEW ONE on many occasions! :bigsmile: )

Just to clarify something that I had said here, I did some checking and Martin Luther himself NEVER condoned such things to be done in his name. As a matter of fact some of his followers wanted him to adopt some of these extreme methods and he refused. These events that I am refering to happened quite a while after Luther had died and was carried out by some of the more extreme elements of his following much later on when they had become quite a power base themselves.

Sorry for not being really clear and specific on that; I promise to be careful to be more precise in the future :yes: