X-Files DVD Box Sets - Which are the best?

Rate this topic

• Elders (Admins)

X-Files fans,

Can you tell me which DVD box sets of the X-Files are the most recommended to get?

Play.com lists versions for around £14.99 called M-Lock with the following features, here for the Pilot:

866898m.jpg

Special Features

• 'The Truth Behind Season One' Featurette
  • Chris Carter Interviews About His 12 Favourite Episodes
  • 'Behind the Truth' Making Of The Featurette
  • Two Deleted Scenes From 'Pilot'
  • Special Effects Clips From 'Fallen Angel'
  • TV Trailers For Each Episode
  • Episode Guide
  • Case Files From Jane Goodman's 'Book of the Unexplained, Volume 1'

Thanks,

Grahan

Guest ZeusFaber

Are you asking for a comparison between the newer M-Lock editions (pictured above) and the old Collector's Editions? Or are you asking about which seasons are the best buys?

I presume it's the former. If so, I can tell you that in terms of content and special features, both versions are exactly the same. You'll get all the same bonus features and episodes on the newer M-Lock versions as you do on the original Collector's Editions. The only differences are in packaging, artwork and price.

The M-Lock versions come in the same kind of packaging as all the Millennium seasons (Region 2), and have slightly retouched artwork and different banner headings. The Collector's Editions came in larger fold-out DigiPacks with more artwork in the interior. They originally retailed for about £70, whereas the new versions can be picked up for as little as £12 over at ChoicesUK.com and even some high-street sellers.

It is, however, largely a mute point, as you would find it extremely difficult to locate and obtain the Collector's Editions today since they have long since been withdrawn by the suppliers. The M-Lock editions are the only versions you are likely to lay your hands on, and while you might chance to come across one of the old Collector's Editions, it would be virtually impossible to find them all and thus end up with an uneven looking collection of DVDs should you plan on buying all 9 seasons.

I own all 9 of the old Collector's Editions, and I do think they look better, but if I were starting out today with the M-Lock packs, while less aesthetically attractive, I would save a huge amount of money.

• Elders (Admins)

Thanks Zeus, yes I speaking of content and features. I recalled conversations last year about new versions.

I think the M-Lock will be just fine for me, I'm going to buy one or two a month until I get them all.

Thanks Zeus, yes I speaking of content and features. I recalled conversations last year about new versions.

I think the M-Lock will be just fine for me, I'm going to buy one or two a month until I get them all.

whats the m-lock edition?

i have the collectors edition which all have a seperate disc full of bloopers and promos

Guest Frank L.

The M-Lock editions are so cheap, because they saved on the packaging. It's just a plastic dvd-box. The seventh dvd can be found in the booklet (stupid idea from FOX). A photo I found:

Dscf1609.jpg

The Collector's Edition. I have all nine seasons and I'm very happy with them. Especially now they're out of print.

x-files_season1.jpg

Edited by Frank L.

• 4 months later...
Guest peas_and_corn

There are three versions of the box sets:

1- Normal slipcase with four DVD cases in them holding the DVDs

2- Fold-out digipack, as shown above

3- "Space Saver" pack, with the extras DVD with the booklet, and all compressed together somehow.

I ahve a combination of 1 and 2; I really don't care and I keep the discs in a wallet anyway

There are three versions of the box sets:

1- Normal slipcase with four DVD cases in them holding the DVDs

2- Fold-out digipack, as shown above

3- "Space Saver" pack, with the extras DVD with the booklet, and all compressed together somehow.

I ahve a combination of 1 and 2; I really don't care and I keep the discs in a wallet anyway

Like me good friend Zeus, i also have all 9 season of the collectors edition...Howver, if you REALLY want to impress, here is the ultimate..and i kick myself for my impatience...

https://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=109170

Whats hard to swallow is that i have paid far, far more for all 9 season seperately than i would have if i had just hunkered down and forked over the money for this all at once...in the US, i paid on an average around 45.00 per season...

what dreams are made of...

4th Horseman..