Coming to fruition

Rate this topic

4th Horseman

Guest Sheree Dawn

It's all going nowhere fast, snowballing into a major economic collapse.

There is only one way out, as I see it, though I doubt my any will take up my idea and run with it. We can't stop oil moguls from bleeding humanity dry; suspending gas tax is only a bandaid fix, won't stop prices from going higher. The costs of most material goods and foods will continue to rise in cost due to the higher cost of transporting it to the consumer.

So I'm thinking raise the minimum wage, and benefit from the ripple effect. I'm not talking about these piddly increases they are putting into play now; I mean REAL money-- $2 or better an hour increase. We may not have any control over oil prices, but we can arm our citizens better and let them be more equipped to pay for such increases.

There is only one way out, as I see it, though I doubt my any will take up my idea and run with it. We can't stop oil moguls from bleeding humanity dry; suspending gas tax is only a bandaid fix, won't stop prices from going higher. The costs of most material goods and foods will continue to rise in cost due to the higher cost of transporting it to the consumer.

So I'm thinking raise the minimum wage, and benefit from the ripple effect. I'm not talking about these piddly increases they are putting into play now; I mean REAL money-- $2 or better an hour increase. We may not have any control over oil prices, but we can arm our citizens better and let them be more equipped to pay for such increases.

Sheree...good point...but upping the minimum wage 2.00/hr will surely drive the costs of goods and services rendered by those retailers up as well, costing us all. Its not an expense that any business would readily absorb without recompensation in some manner..simplest way is to pass the additional expense off on the consumer...here is a very good and unbiased link that explains the pitfalls..

https://www.heritage.org/research/economy/wm1176.cfm

4th Horseman

Raising the minimum wage would be like adding gasoline to a burning fire. When you raise the min. wage business have to pay their employees more. Some then need to fire a few employees to cover this new expense. Others might just raise prices to offset their new cost of doing business. Anyway you look at it; it causes inflation not calms it down.

Raising the minimum wage would be like adding gasoline to a burning fire. When you raise the min. wage business have to pay their employees more. Some then need to fire a few employees to cover this new expense. Others might just raise prices to offset their new cost of doing business. Anyway you look at it; it causes inflation not calms it down.
good points roo...yet, i wonder, with the cost of gas skyrocketing upward, and as indicated by the article i have provided a link to, if the government is considering a return to a national speed limit linked to federal highway funding...do any of us remember when the limit was 55MPH???? think we might go back again??

https://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...their_guzzlers/

https://wcbstv.com/topstories/Drivers.Slowi...n.2.717910.html

4th Horseman

Guest Sheree Dawn
good points roo...yet, i wonder, with the cost of gas skyrocketing upward, and as indicated by the article i have provided a link to, if the government is considering a return to a national speed limit linked to federal highway funding...do any of us remember when the limit was 55MPH???? think we might go back again??

https://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...their_guzzlers/

https://wcbstv.com/topstories/Drivers.Slowi...n.2.717910.html

4th Horseman

It still IS 55 in most of the areas in WNC--you still get a few 60s though. But I couldn't do the speed limit then, and don't know if I could slow down now. Even in spite of the fact that I know that slower speeds = greater fuel efficiency

It still IS 55 in most of the areas in WNC--you still get a few 60s though. But I couldn't do the speed limit then, and don't know if I could slow down now. Even in spite of the fact that I know that slower speeds = greater fuel efficiency

Yeah I remember 55. My brother's "goat" couldn't really get into 4th gear anymore.

Just a year ago or so, the government in the US decided that ethanhol spelling? was the answer.. so they subsidised eth. plants.. and what happened then? corn shortages and outrageous corn prices around the world. Stupid politicians are so reactive.