AICN.com site's Harry says IWTB film is a big disappointment

Rate this topic

Guest BDuncan

Guest BDuncan

The Aint it Cool News site's Harry (a big XF series fan himself, who owns all the season DVDs) who doesn't review cinema release films on his site as much as he used to, said while he liked IWTB, he was still generally hugely disappointed, saying the low budget and weak script ruined the film and that Fox (the film company, not Mulder) and Chris Carter need to learn some lessons from the film's failure if a 3rd XF film ever happens, plus he weighs in on what he'd have greatly loved seeing a 2nd XF film do. Harry doesn't mention DD and GA took an extremely small upfront fee and a backend deal, to help get it made. If you want to weigh in, post your comment in the AICN website's talkback for the thread.

https://www.aintitcool.com/node/37666

Harry's Review of the Theatrical Broadcast of This Week's Episode of X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE...

Why take a TV show from TV to a Theatrical Environment - if you're just going to tell a story that could have easily fit within the confines of at TV Budgeted Universe ? Did I enjoy the film ? Yes, but is it worth putting in a theater ? Not really. I'm not sure where the problem lies... is it Chris Carter just holding back and being stuck in the serialized reality of his TV existence - or is it the numb-nutted executives at Fox forcing Chris to make a film within a narrow confine? I don't know.

The film's budget was a scant $US 30 million - which is many times the budget of an episode of the XF TV series. I'm sure inflated budgets to all key personnel devours large chunks - followed by the more expensive post process, but seriously is this all that they could come up with ? I know - I said I liked it. I did. It's hard not to like an XF episode about a group of Russian scientists that are taking up the better work of Dr Herbert West - not Dr Frankenstein.

Now I'm not asking for a giant Alien bonanza, in fact I'd prefer it if we never ever saw an Alien again in an XF movie. Instead, how about just a balls out supernatural film. Something like Curse of the Demon with Mulder & Scully, but when the Demon shows he's holy f*** awesome. How about something on a taller order than just exchanging an arm here and a leg here. Something that gets the ol nightmare factory going in the noggin. I've been talking about what the film could've been, what I expect or desire from the XF films. How about I talk about what it was?

The film was an ok episode. I feel they spent a bit too much going back and forth with Mulder and Scully's personal life and frankly I had very little interest in the sub-plot of the dying kid Scully was treating. I also don't like Mulder & Scully being outside of the FBI. I understand that the 'conspiracy' needed to get them out of the FBI, but if they have to be outside the FBI and have to be 'consulting detectives' - then set them up as a modern day Sherlock Mulder & Dr Scully, specializing in unsolved and unexplained cases. I'd prefer they not be in 'retirement' - the bitching about the 'darkness' and harping on the 'Searching for your sister' stuff and Scully's 'Me or Investigation' bit all just makes Dana unlikeable. I get she doesn't want this life anymore, but they're fated to it - I find it hard to believe anyone

that's seen the things these two have seen and that have been through what they've been through together, that they wouldn't be glued to one another.

I know there seems to be a lot of gripping for a movie I liked, but that's exactly the problem. I liked it. I don't want to 'like' an XF movie, I want to LOVE it. I want to come out of it scared of the shadows, freaked out by the night sky, jumpy at every creak and slightly traumatized by it all. I want to be filled with an urgent excitement to share my theories with my fellow crackpot X-philes.

I'm a huge XF fan. I have every episode made on DVD. I've attended 2 XF conventions, on my own dime. As a result, I honestly feel I couldn't not at least LIKE an XF movie. It's so nice seeing Fox and Dana on that screen. Fox's dry wit. Scully's concern. It's just so nice to see them doing anything. You know it's kinda like the Alien vs Predator movies. I love the Alien creature and love the Predator. I love seeing the creatures on screen together, but the films that have surrounded them are so much less than what these characters I love deserve.

Maybe what really needs to happen is to have Chris serve as a writer - producer only and bring in a great director. Someone like a Jonathan Demme to make it all come to life. Put the characters in a situation and the actors in an environment that would challenge them. While at the same time creating a cinematic world that isn't like what we've seen on the TV. Probably the best thing about the film and possibly the worst, is it makes you want to go back and watch your fave episodes. The shame of that is, the best XF episodes are so much better than either of the feature films and that's a damn shame.

Hi BDuncan,

Congratulations on your first ever post. May I take this opportunity and welcome you to the board. Here's hoping you enjoy your stay.

Best wishes,

Eth