A Little X-files News

Rate this topic

This snipet of info came to me this evening. Check it out:

The FX network has purchased the cable rights to The X-Files: I Want to Believe. The deal is for four years beginning in late 2010, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The purchase price was not publicly announced, though the publication says the standard rate to purchase cable rights for a film is 10 - 20 percent of the film’s total domestic box office tally. The X-Files: I Want to Believe made just over $20 million in 2008.

Guest Laurent.

It would have been a much better deal if they had considered the worldwide box office (IWTB has a much better "domestic profit"/"worldwide profit" ratio than most movies). But the deal concerns only the States (I guess) so it's pretty logical.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd add this here rather than start a topic for it as it might not generate any discussion but a US chum of mine explained that re-runs of the show are ending on SyFy. Apparently it doesn't appear that Chiller is going to carry it regularly and it seems that Frank Spotnitz doesn't know what is happening next in terms if the show's continuing presence. My friend noted that...

If it's true that no network/cable channel will carry it, it will be the first time in 15 years that XF won't be on the air

Now surely this is discussing the show airing in the US right? I'm fairly sure episodes have been airing in the UK recently so it's not a case that it won't be on air anywhere right?

Either way I am sure it's not as ominous as people are presuming it to be. The show has been re-run almost without pause for over a decade and with the increasing popularity of DVR's I would imagine re-running shows will eventually become a thing of the past as people will have a library of shows available to watch as and when they desire. Let's face it, who doesn't own a boxed set (or nine) of the X-Files by now?

Just thought you might find the info interesting.

ETh