Redemption - A Millennium Success Story!

Rate this topic

Guest RodimusBen

Guest RodimusBen

Fellow MM fans,

Some of you who recognize my name may remember that early this year I posted an unfortunate story about an X-Files/Millennium night gone awry. A few friends, whom I was almost certain would love Millennium based on their love of the X-Files, ended up having no interest in the show and outwardly mocking it when I showed them the pilot. I was confused, upset and disheartened by the outcome of the night, and it was honestly hard for me to hide my frustration with these friends who didn't seem willing to even give the show a chance.

One of those friends, who wasn't part of the "Mystery Science Theater" treatment the pilot received that night, told me since then that he was willing to give the show another chance in an environment when rowdy hecklers weren't preventing him from focusing on it. Along with him, I got two new friends together and we watched a couple of episodes tonight.

I changed my approach this time. I've mentioned in other threads that I'm of the unusual persuasion that I DON'T think the pilot is the best episode to show a potential new fan first. That opinion is based directly on my experiences. So this time, I played "The Thin White Line" and "Monster." I chose these two because they show different aspects of Millennium (not to mention the wildly different seasons): a straightforward SKOTW episode with no supernatural element, and an introduction to the larger mythology arc of the series.

I'm happy to say that all three friends, including the one whose experience was ruined by the hecklers last time, enjoyed both episodes and are eager to watch more. NOW they want to start from the beginning to see how the show evolves. It's a little early to be certain, but I believe that with a few more marathon nights I'll have three new Millennium fans. One of them even expressed interest in buying the DVDs, especially after learning how inexpensive they are.

I just thought you all might like to hear this happy resolution to my efforts to convert new viewers. :-)

Edited by RodimusBen

• Elders (Admins)

Ben, thanks for the wonderful update on this! I'm really chuffed to bits that you had a second attempt and it worked out better this time! :thumbsup:

I hope they all get hooked on this great show and who knows, they may even sign up at TIWWA in the future and we can give them a Millennium welcome! :ouro:

Here, have a well earned Rep point!

Congratulations Ben on having some success!

I had a breakthrough of my own recently and didn't have to lift a finger. A friend of mine who is a horror fan but never really bothered with the X-Files happened to turn on to Zone Horror one evening when there was little doing and watched Millennium for the first time. He text me as soon as it was finished and said he really enjoyed 'that show you are always going on about'. When I asked him what episode it was that he had watched it turned out it was the one with 'the evil little blonde girl' - seems Monster might be a good starting point after all. A couple of days later I was casting my glance over Steven's Millennium Facebook Group and there he was, my friend John amongst the members as a new fan. A very satisfying day that was.

Took him long enough but better late than never eh?

Eth

Guest RodimusBen

Eth, that is fascinating that your friend also became interested in watching the show after watching "Monster." When I made the decision to show them that episode, I based it simply on my own experience with Millennium last year as I went from a guy who had seen a handful of episodes as an X-Files fan in the 90s to a devotee for whom it became my second favorite TV show of all time.

I remember being entertained, but not fully "committed" to the show throughout Season 1. I started checking it out on a whim for nostalgia's sake via Netflix, but it was only when the mythology really kicked in that I felt, "OK, I have to see this show through to its end." So it only felt natural to show them an enjoyable stand-alone story, but also an episode that gave them a sense of the bigger picture of the show, since that was what kept ME coming back for more.

Lara's emotional scene where she discusses the problem of evil is the key to me, what makes "Monster" a good first choice for an episode. I believe that in that one scene, even more succinctly than the pilot, Lara vocalizes what Millennium is about-- searching for the sources of evil, and this feeling of foreboding that evil is increasing. I still get a little chill when she says it: "Something is happening, Frank. And there are 797 days left."

I think it's wonderful Ben that you did have another chance to present this fantastic show. Monster is a good choice also because they might recognize the little girl from the X-Files episodes. Something familiar always helps.

Yes, "something is happening" right now, and it's exciting. For one thing, our fan base is growing, and now there's skuttlebutt of a movie.

I don't believe evil is increasing as much as it's becoming more visable and noticable. More people are looking for the evil instead of the good, and whatever you look for is what you will find.

Guest RodimusBen

I've always felt that we have a false perception of an increase in violence because it is more widely and immediately covered by media in our age of instantaneous communication. "If it bleeds, it leads."

If there is one thing that separates us from previous generations, it is overpopulation. People are getting more and more contentious with one another because we can't move anymore without stepping on each other's toes.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest byron lomax

It's great that you had more success this time, RB! I'm not really the type to recommend shows to people unless asked to specifically, but if I did recommend Millennium, it would be on the basis that it's an alternative to the array of clean-cut CSI clones that dominate crime TV these days (when Carter says he should have made MM "more along the lines of CSI" it depresses me, it truly does). Anyway, they were perfect episodes to use as an introduction.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RodimusBen

Just wanted to update this to say that Jimmy has purchased a copy of the Millennium series box set. I couldn't be happier! He's almost through season 1.

In fact, he managed to find it at a local retailer, which surprised me.

Edited by RodimusBen

Just wanted to update this to say that Jimmy has purchased a copy of the Millennium series box set. I couldn't be happier! He's almost through season 1.

In fact, he managed to find it at a local retailer, which surprised me.

I am thrilled to hear this, what wonderful news. Yee ha yippee. jumping.gif