Millennium Unofficial Soundtrack

Rate this topic

Guest RodimusBen

Guest RodimusBen

Lasses and Gentlelads,

In a previous thread I started the topic of "songs Millennium changed for you--" that is, the incidental music that Millennium profoundly altered your perception of by featuring it in an episode. The topic got me thinking that, while we are blessed with a truly wonderful 2-disc compilation CD set of Mark Snow's score for Millennium, we do not have a soundtrack of the incidental music!

To that end, I decided to put together one myself. Using the exhaustively thorough music guide on This Is Who We Are, I picked out what I consider to be the most essential Millennium songs, and downloaded them all at 99 cents a pop on Amazon mp3. I had to make some choices-- I wasn't going to feature EVERY Bobby Darin or Patti Smith song, for example. But I think I put together a pretty good selection to make my very own unofficial Millennium Soundtrack:

• White Zombie – More Human Than Human
  • Nine Inch Nails – Piggy
  • Portishead – Roads
  • Cypress Hill – Insane In The Brain
  • The Bee Gees – How Deep Is Your Love
  • Marusia Georgevskaya – Dark Eyes
  • Talking Heads – Life During Wartime (Live LP Version)
  • The Carpenters – (They Long To Be) Close To You
  • Bobby Darin – Goodbye, Charlie
  • Dean Martin – Memories Are Made Of This
  • Screaming Jay Hawkins – Little Demon
  • Tchaikovsky – The Nutcracker Suite: Arabian Dance
  • America – A Horse With No Name
  • Sir Geraint Evans – Gilbert & Sullivan: The Mikado
  • Paul Mariat & His Orchestra – Love Is Blue
  • Black Flag – My War
  • Zager & Evans – In The Year 2525
  • Patti Smith – Land
  • KISS – Psycho Circus
  • Nazareth – Love Hurts
  • James Carr – The Dark End of the Street
  • The Mills Brothers – Till Then
  • Huun-Huur-Tu – Prayer
  • Backstreet Boys – Everybody (Backstreet's Back)

But that's not obsessive enough for this Millennium Fanboy. I even decided to combine the incidental music with the Mark Snow score to make an ultimate collection of Millennium music, original and non. I am putting them all on a CD set together for my own enjoyment, and I designed this snazzy set of inserts to go in the jewel case when I finish it. I thought you all might like to see:

page1yc.th.jpg

page2ns.th.jpg

page3y.th.jpg

page4t.th.jpg

Once again using the vast resources at This Is Who We Are, I took one image from each episode that features either an incidental song, a Mark Snow composition included on the soundtrack, or both. I chose some iconic images as well as some cast close-ups-- a nice mish-mash to make an effective collage.

I hope that you all like these images. The images here are scaled down for easy viewing on the web. I have full size versions if anyone wants them (just send me a PM).

Hi Ben,

That is absolutely superb work, incredibly creative.

On my iPod I have a playlist that is a jumble of Mark Snow compositions, incidental music tracks, tracks from the fan creation M=1000 and dialogue from the show such The Ghost Dance, The Life of a Comet and Tobias' Mehler's monologue from Luminary. I did something similar with incidental music from The Lone Gunmen and added snatches of musical cues I ripped from the DVD's and that is my cheer-up compilation. I guess we could firmly submit these as evidence for a "...you know you're a fan when..." topic. Am I right in thinking you can create a playlist at the iTunes store so that someone could search for Millennium music and find the above list all together and ready for download? That might be a cool idea if anyone knows how to do it.

I salute your creativity!

Eth