Aliens/Lance Henriksen reference in V episode

Rate this topic

• Elders (Admins)

I was just watching this week's episode of the V remake, which was episode 8 "We Can't Win":

Chad and Anna are in Geneva for the U.N. Summit, where Anna is going to present a gift of technology to the world. It is there the U.N. Secretary General reveals his beliefs that the Vs aren't just visiting.

Whist the camera pans across the UN personnel and representatives, one of the name plates read Weyland-Yutani! :grinning:

I managed to take a photo with my phone...

post-1-127487614995_thumb.jpg post-1-127487617383_thumb.jpg post-1-127487619502_thumb.jpg

Aliens franchise fans will no doubt recognise this name immediately, but for those unfamiliar and still reading this, here's Wikipedia except:

Weyland-Yutani is a fictional corporation in the motion picture Alien and its sequels, often referred to simply as "The Company". It is one of the corporations that runs the human colonies outside the solar system through the Extrasolar Colonization Administration, has a seat in the Interstellar Commerce Commission's Company Review Board, and also has a large presence on Earth.

Weyland-Yutani is consistently portrayed as exhibiting the worst aspects of corporate profiteering, willing to sacrifice decency and human life in the pursuit of profit. In various portrayals of the Aliens universe, the corporation has its hands in all aspects of space colonization and research. The corporation has consistently ordered its employees and agents to attempt to obtain living xenomorphs so that they can be exploited as a biological weapon, without regard for their obtainers' lives.

Weyland-Yutani is a modern example of the longstanding trope of the evil megacorporation in science fiction.

300px-Aliens-Weyland-Yutani_Sign.png

Source: https://en.wikipedia..../Weyland-Yutani

• Like 1

That's fantastic!

I'm not the most eagle eyed of viewers I have to confess and I miss things like this all the time. I spend most of "Lost" visiting forums only to find that everyone and their mother had spotted something in an episode that I had failed to see. Graham weren't you the one who spotted the ouroborous in "Breaking Bad"?

When I caught the first episode of "FlashForward" (and then didn't bother with any more) I did spot the Oceanic Airlines Billboard in the background of one of the shots. I think that's my only claim to fame.

That's a superb find, I'd have an even bigger fanboy moment if it turned out the U.N. Secretary General's surname was Bishop. :whistling:

Eth

ff_oceanic.png

• Elders (Admins)

LOL! Good old Oceanic - I'm surprised the events in Lost weren't explained in some way by volcanic ash clouds! I wonder if they're cabin crew were in Unite?

No, someone else posted about the Ouro in Breaking Bad, but I never actually saw it myself - I think it was a season 2 episode.

Volcanic ash clouds Graham? Can I start a campaign here and now for any further instalments of the "Lost" saga (should spin-off media be on the cards) to be written by yours truly. :oneeyedwinK

And since I am so wildly off topic I may as well continue before reigning myself in a little. I didn't know but Oceanic Airlines are not a "Lost" creation. I realise almost everyone is pointing and laughing at this point but I genuinely didn't. Apparently it's a fictional creation used in films and television and predates "Lost". You can read all about it at Jacob's Magic Cave (otherwise know as Wikipedia).

Eth

PS Would the stream flowing into to Jacob's Magic Cave be Jacob's Creek? :blink: