X-Files Writer Joins Torchwood

Rate this topic

Well a great deal has been said about this in blogs all across the internet including some incredibly high profile news sites so I am absolutely delighted to see Torchwood really generating the kind of interest it so richly deserves. There's a great new article gone online and it is a must read for fans of the show as it has even more insight into the new incarnation of Torchwood and already the creative team are using The X-Files as a reference point and an 'in' for US viewers who may not be familiar with it in much the same way that Fringe does.

Joining Captain Jack and Gwen Cooper (Eve Myles) in TNW will be an American CIA agent named Rex Matheson (the part is not yet cast). Davies says that Matheson is an "entrance into the new story," a way for new viewers to learn about Torchwood along with the character. Davies explains that given the fact that Torchwood was destroyed and the team broken up after CoE, Matheson will have no idea what Torchwood is since "It's like something that ceased to exist a long time ago that's spoken of only in whispers. It's like a legend now."

But Matheson will begin investigating and stumbles onto something that will turn into a "massive, great big story." In this way, Davies feels he can start a new story and bring in a new audience. Says Davies:

You can start a brand-new story this way, in the way that Mulder's X-Files had been sitting there as a mystery and a legend to be uncovered before the series even started. So Rex is drawn into this, has no choice but to be drawn into this through complications that you will see in the story.

"Also, he's at the CIA. We also have a watch analyst at the CIA called Esther, who is not friends with Rex, but works with a colleague of Rex's. The two of them become embroiled in the Torchwood legend and investigate what Torchwood is or was and then find themselves on the run from that moment onwards and having to decide -- having to meet Captain Jack and Gwen, decide whether they're friends, whether they're enemies, a decision that takes a long time to be decided.

To read the entire article (and you should as it's really good) visit afterleton.com for more.

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

All strong to very strong episodes, "Tunguska" and "Terma" being one of my favourite X Files mythology two-parters.

Mine too. The team Mulder/Krycek, the dark russia-setting... It was just great.

Regarding Torchwood: am I the only one who hasn't seen the mini-series yet? I bought the dvd-set some month ago so I hope I don't have too high expectations.

Oh you have to watch "Torchwood: Children of Earth" it really is magnificent. As it happens, all this talk of "Torchwood" has encouraged me to do the same and I think I am on my third or fourth viewing of COE and it is simply wonderful television. The scenes between the Government are just wonderful. A really taught and tense and exciting mini-series that rarely drops the ball.

I was going to point out some really interesting trivia here but then I realised that to do so would mean spoiling a fairly big element of the mini-series so I shall refrain until you've seen it but give it a watch. You won't be disappointed.

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

I definitely will watch it. But I decided to first re-watch the seasons 1 and 2 because I haven't seen them in a while and my girlfriend never saw s1. No problem as the DVD-set contains the whole show so far.

I finished it last night and it was simply fantastic. I do think John Barrowman can veer towards a slightly forced portrayal of Jack and some of his scenes can be hammy (see the closing scenes of "Adam" for a fine example of when it becomes too much) but he is much more focussed and gives a more naturalistic performance in COE and whether this was down to the direction or the writing I don't know.

All in all, British genre at its best if you ask me.

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

All in all, British genre at its best if you ask me.

Eth

As there is a lot out there. My first love in television series was Robin of Sherwood. I still love that show. You simply can't top the RoS-atmosphere. That's at least my opinion.

Right now they show The Prisoner for the first time in 18 years on a german channel. Never saw that one before and that's totally cool, too. J. J. Abrams must be a fan. His Lost has a lot of similaritys.

And I could go on a long time with this list. :oneeyedwinK

Ah the golden age of British genre shows eh. Sadly the haven't delivered anything of particular merit for many years and we owe Russell T Davies a great debt as his success with Doctor Who seemed top jolt those at the top from their slumber and made them realise that you could make a success of genre TV on British screens again. I believe the next slice of British sci-fi comes from the BBC's Outcasts and by all reports it might be one worth keeping your eyes open for.

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

@ all: Sorry for getting really of topic

@ Eth

You might be right about the golden age (The Avengers!) but there are still a few successful "new" British genre-shows. I think of Hex (no airing in Germany yet and the plot reminds me a bit too much on Buffy but everyone seems to like the show), Primeval (successful enough to raise interest in the USA and they got top quotes in Germany too), the new Dr. Who (sadly only seen by insiders here), Torchwood (hit show here too), Jekyll (wow) and Whitechapel (okay, both mini-series) and I'm sure I forgot some.

But you're still right about the old days. Recently I re-discovered The Tripods. I saw them the last time when I was kid and even though it's not that stunning / magical anymore it has a hard to top atmosphere, great story and still good looking effects.

Guest Ghostmojo

I have to say I am not a fan of Torchwood. I'm not that mad about what has happened to Doctor Who either in recent years - although this new lad Matt Smith is actually quite endearingly quirky (even if he is only slightly older than my near teenage son!).

TV sci-fi in the UK has become incredibly formulaic and derivitive. Most of it is extremely lame. I'm searching hard to remember the last good UK effort in this department. Doctor Who itself has just become a repository for reusing old ideas nicked from either the various Star Treks or The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy mixed with weekly urban soapbox nonsense, which is why (particularly when the Eccleston/Tennant/Piper characters dominated) I gave it my own nickname of The EastEnder's Guide To The Galaxy. Doctor Who remains - for me at least - the great idea still in search of proper realisation. Sure, it has been a great success for the BBC - but only by going down-market and aiming at the yoof/family market. Great sci-fi it certainly ain't. The way to do the Doctor is to go darker, more serious, and with an older actor taking the role into something altogether more chilling and classy. That's my view anyway ... millions would of course disagree!

Sadly, it is far easier to journey back to the weird and wonderful world of the 60s and early 70s when there was so much ground-breaking and whacky stuff about.

The Prisoner was a classic. I tried to get into the new version of this show but honestly can't make up my mind about it. Great production values and a decent cast (with Sir Ian McKellern how could you go wrong?) it certainly had - but it was far too short at 6 episodes and seems arguably like a rather expensive waste of time. It was an interesting attempt, however, and I bought the DVD set and will watch it again a few more times to see if I can get anything else from it...

I think perhaps a lot of US sci-fi TV has also become trend-following rather than trend-setting. Warehouse 13 is a good example of this with a curious idea let down with two-dimensional characterisations.

Can anybody direct me to anything that is both new ... and good? We still have to go back to The X-Files (for clever sci-fi ideas), Millennium (for inspired scary chills) and The Lone Gunmen (for clever humour) and to all three for interesting characterisations and inter-personal relationships that make us care.

Currently I am awaiting the first two series of Californication (on DVD) from posty, and the imminent release of Spooks 8 on DVD and Spooks 9 on TV before I get suitably energised about current and contemporary viewing pleasures - and of course neither of them is remotely sci-fi...

BTW - I also remember and loved Robin of Sherwood. I am pleased to say it is due a new dusted down and remastered DVD box-set release very soon and of course the Russell Crow film is also due out on DVD and I liked that very much :smile:

Hi there folk,

You seem to echo me sentiments exactly Ghostmojo. I'm old enough to remember what I consider to be the Golden Age of British science fiction and I remain largely unimpressed by a great deal that has emerged in recent times and that includes Doctor Who despite the immense amount of pleasure I derive from it at times.

Searching for a show that comes close the output of Ten Thirteen has been my Holy Grail for many years and one which I have never discovered and you will often find me around these parts asking for suggestions for shows to keep an eye open for in the hope that a real gem emerges but I have never had my itch scratched. I stand by my claim that as far as British genre goes these days that "Torchwood: Children Of Earth" is amongst the few examples of when it is done right.

That said, when Doctor Who Season Five was airing a great many of the posters on Doctor Who forums seemed infinitely more impressed with the final season of "Ashes To Ashes". "Life On Mars" was undoubtedly superb television but I missed "Ashes To Ashes" simply because I forgot to record the odd episode here and there. Given that it was an adult show rather than one which was designed to have cross-appeal they could be much darker in terms of the stories they were telling than, say, "Who" but it did appear to receive the overwhelming support of genre fans and many proclaimed it the best British genre show in many a year - just as I had with "T:COE."

I can't recommend it based on my own opinion but it's a show I am about to watch simply because I heard so much about it from other people.

Might be one for you to check out to if you haven't already.

Eth