Missing Mulder

Rate this topic

Hi folks,

For some reason the following article from DigitalSpy appeared in my inbox today as a result of my X-Files Google Alert and I do rather enjoy these blasts from the past that happen every now and again but this one intrigued more than unusual. Take a look.....

Fox has announced that, after several months of speculation, The X-Files will return to our screens for an eighth series, following a last-minute deal with Chris Carter. The statement came just one day before Fox presents its all-important Fall schedule to advertisers.

"My contract connects me to the show for another season," Carter said. "I've agreed to do it either way," with or without Duchovny.

However, mystery surrounds David Duchovny's position on the new series; something which Carter said he could explain in the show if he had to, but would prefer not. Gillian Anderson is already contracted to the new series.

Meanwhile, "The Lone Gunmen," an "X-Files" spin-off revolving around three characters from the show, is expected to debut early next year.

Now the bit that intrigued me was the comment regarding David's position. It is stated that Chris Carter would have preferred not have addressed this in the show. Does that mean, as I read it to mean, that the desired plan was simply to have Mulder abducted at the end of season seven and then leave it at that as far as the Mulder character goes without too much of the continuing arc of the show devoted to his disappearance? I'm not sure that would have worked but it certainly would have been bold and daring to do a 'he's gone - get over it' approach and simply left it at that.

Does anyone know what is being implied by this article?

Eth