Frank's Coat

Rate this topic

Guest michjoto

Guest michjoto

Has anyone noticed that the first thing Frank does when he enters a crime scene is zip up or button his coat? It may be freezing outside - but his coat is open. Then he enters a building and the first thing he does is close it up. What's that all about??

Perhaps a means to protect himself against... I don't know... too hard visions: like a shield in fact; it may be a kind of unconscious gesture...

Edited by Truth

Guest michjoto

yes. I didn't think about forensics. I don't buy that. Never saw anyone else do it - either on MM or another show. But the subconscious mechanism - that fits in with Frank's makeup. Curious, I wonder who came up with the idea? My money's on Lance. Figure it to be something he'd bring to the character. :ouro::ouro::ouro:

Guest LucyButler2000
When this was discussed before I think, if my memory serves, it was concluded that the whole coat fastening was 2 things. Firstly for forensic purposes and secondly as Franks subconcious defence against the nasties :devil01:

I agree. He's protecting himself mentally as well.

I WANT his coat. I don't think L.L. Bean carries em anymore though :(

• 3 weeks later...

From watching the special features on season 1 and little bits I'ver read here and there and having just seen two of his movies one of the hardest things for Lance being 'Frank Black' was not to move about ...ie BE STILL.... you can see it the the eps too... he is literally struggling not to wiggle, jiggle or otherwise twitch [except in his closeups hes allowed facial twitches]

Maybe doing up his coat was his way of making himself stay in 'Frank Black' mode instead of all those times he was a cop/FBI/ investigator type in his movies where he was allowed more freedom of movement.

....i seem to recall either Carter of T.J. Wright stating that it was semi-conscious defense mechanism more than anything else. Almost like simultaneously shielding himself and defending himself from what he is about to encounter. The forensic angle also fits in perfectly as well. unlike some shows-COUGH-csi-miami-COUGH- where you have techs all dolled up in high heels with thier latest hiarstyle hanging from thier bulbous heads over crime scenes and even the bodies themselves.-LOL! -(love CSI/CSI-NEW YORK, but MIAMI is simply too preoccupied with fashion and hiarstyles over good storytelling, IMO.)

~se7en

Guest Second Coming

I think it was Lance being a little self conscious about his weight and trying to hide his little belly. In several scenes you'll see him touch his stomach like he's self conscious.