If each season was to be stripped down to mini series format?

Rate this topic

claaa7

Inspired by the new X-Files mini series I started watching MillenniuM again for the first time in probably a couple of years.. i was initially thinking of going through only my favorite episodes, making a sort of mini series of each season (with 6-8 episodes in each), but i noticed quickly that there was a lot more episodes I wanted to rewatch (besides the stretch from "Kingdom Come" to, and including, the episode preceding "Force Majeure" + "Broken World") i think Season 1 is exceptionally strong and has grown to be my favorite season..

anyway while MillenniuM is probably my favorite show of all time I do feel that each season had some lackluster episodes - very few that are really bad but there's definitely peaks and valleys.. so if we had to imagine that each season only could have 6 to 8 episodes how would you break it down? For me it might have been something like this...

SEASON 1

01. "Pilot"

02. "Gehenna"

03. "The Judge"

04. "Lamentation"

05. "Powers, Principalities & Domionions"

06. "Paper Dove"

SEASON 2

01. "The Beginning and End"

02. "The Curse Of Frank Black"

03. "Midnight Of The Century"

04. "Goodbye Charlie"

05. "The Mikado"

06. "A Room With No View"

07. "The Fourth Horseman"

08. "The Time is Now"

SEASON 3

01. "The Sound Of Snow"

02. "Antipas"

03. "Saturn Dreaming Of Mercury"

04. "Seven & One"

05. "Via Dolorosa"

06. "Goodbye to All That"

haha wow, that was incredibly hard to narrow down when you really sit down and think about it.. i'm really glad that we got full 22 episodes season (season 2 had 23 episodes which is why i made it 8 episodes here), these days they'll never order that many episodes for shows anymore - had MillenniuM been made today it would probably have been 12-13 eps for each season, which i think is generally about the amount of eps i consider truly great in Seasons One and Two (and maybe 8-9 in Season 3, the ones i mentioned above plus i like the one where Jordan is sick, "Nostalgia" and "Through A Glass, Darkly").. sorry if this has been done many, many times as it is basically a "your favorite episodes" in disguise

• Like 1

Totally hard to narrow down, and I for one am not about to try.  I will accept your answers as mine if you don't mind.

Honestly, if I go over all the episodes, there literally is only one that I didn't enjoy at all, otherwise I like them all, including everyone else's worst choice, Human Essence, which was deep and to some people, very personal.  My least favorite is ...Thirteen Years Later.  With all due respect to their fans, I personally can't stand KISS, and found the episode absolutely annoying.  It's possible I might have enjoyed the episode if there had been any other group besides them.  Sorry KISS fans.

of course, i don't mind at all

i like almost all episodes of "MillenniuM" as well, but don't you agree that an episode like "Lamentation" or "Pilot" is way above an episode like "Human Nature" if we're talking quality in writing, production, direction, overall enjoyment? it's of course all personal opinion but for me it's more when i have rewatched the series as many times as i've done by now, i feel that there are certain episodes that i don't need to see each rerun.. not because they are bad, but because i want to focus on the ones i really love.

it's interesting, "Thirteen Years Later" is often stated to be one of the most hated - personally i always thought it was a fun episode.. i don't like KISS at all though and i have no clue why they should be on MillenniuM, perhaps Marilyn Manson (the band) would have been a better choice haha. but as for the plot / acting outside of the KISS stuff i found there was a lot of hilarious stuff there, a lot of easter eggs for both horror buffs and millennium fans.

I think we all skip over some episodes that we just don't want to see again.  Not that we don't like it, but we've seen it enough.  And I agree, "Human Nature" is in the bottom section of the list, but had its good points to appreciate.

Yes, I agree, there are fun parts to  "Thirteen Years Later," but KISS ruined the episode for me.  It was fun seeing scenes from some of the real old horror movies.

12 hours ago, Earthnut said:

I think we all skip over some episodes that we just don't want to see again.  Not that we don't like it, but we've seen it enough.  And I agree, "Human Nature" is in the bottom section of the list, but had its good points to appreciate.

Yes, I agree, there are fun parts to  "Thirteen Years Later," but KISS ruined the episode for me.  It was fun seeing scenes from some of the real old horror movies.

haha yes that has to be my favorite part of the episode too, "Frank" using his training and instinct to profile the villains from the classic horror movies.. the profile of Jason was hilarious. i read an interview with writer Michael R. Perry where he said he was already writing that episode as a more standard case when FOX demanded that they incorporated KISS into MillenniuM and it had to be a Halloween episode so he had to work that into there as well.. Network executives.. how do their strange minds work?

• 6 years later...

This is a great idea. I'm currently finishing up the 3rd season again, so I don't want to compile my own version of the mini series quite yet, but I would say for Season One I would add "Force Majeure." Without it, the shift to season 2 would be even more abrupt than it was when the series ran in its entirety. I also loved how you included "The Judge," one of my favorite episodes.

Edited by davidmarx2000