Was There Suppose To Be

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

Well the LGM weren´t THAT bad in their own show. It has of course nothing to do with the X-Files anymore, but some moments were pretty funny in the show and Duchovny does a guest appearance in one episode, I think it was the last one. And it was this last episode "All about Eve" that was continued in the ninth season of the X-Files "Jump the shark". So now you know why Langly has a blue face :grin:

• 6 months later...
Guest charlie_k
Yeah, thats what I've heard. Missed the episodes on TV, but did manage to tape a few episodes so when I got some time off I'll watch them. From what little I've seen it's more comical and not so serious in tone as X-files prodominately was. Maybe they should've toned down the quirky side of them, even though that was one of their "trademarks" on the X-files.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Lone Gunmen wasn´t so bad show, Gunmen were comic characters in the X-Files anyway :grin: So bad it was cancelled so early.

Guest lonegungrrly1121

yeah, as people have said, I think their intention was to have season 10 with just doggett and reyes. i think it the show would have gone on for much longer if mulder stayed dead in season 8 and the show was carried by doggett and scully. just my oppinion. I can always dream :kissing:

the thing I don't get though is why so many fans like the finale. what an absolute disaster. it gave us no closure to the mythology OR any other character other than mulder and scull. , as far as i'm concerned it was just an excuse for mulder and scully to get all shippy (*pukes* lol) and for scully to cry a lot. although, I did enjoy seeing a few familiar faces, that was it's only redeeming quality IMO. :grin:

I also quite liked (what I saw) of the LGM series, I just wish it would get released over in the UK so I can see it all.

Guest canadian girl

I enjoyed Doggett and Reyes very much. Of course they were different from Mulder and Scully but I wouldn't have minded a show with just them.

• 1 month later...
Guest Laurent.
the thing I don't get though is why so many fans like the finale. what an absolute disaster. it gave us no closure to the mythology OR any other character other than mulder and scull.

I was REALLY dissapointed when the finale first aired but, the more I watch it ; the more I like it. i think there was way too many mythology thread to give closure to all of them, and x-files was never about closure. I think they just wanted to use the underlying theme that ran during the entire series. As Frank Spotnitz said in a few of the x-files documentary... the search for alien (mulder) was really linked to the search for god (scully). There were quite a lot of episodes that dealt with the after-life (even in the mythology; One breath, Piper Maru, The Blessing Way, The Sixth Extinction and especially The Truth)

"We bury our dead alive, don't we." - Commander Johansen, "Piper Maru"

Now that the characters knew the alien force was real and was prepared for the invasion... they had to ask themselves if God, or the after-life, existed. The ghosts of Krychek, X and The Lone Gunmen (no Deep Throat :down: ) were a quite definitive answer to that. And they gave an optimistic end that contrasted with the rest of the series.

Scully: "You've always said that you want to believe. But believe in what Mulder? If this is the truth that you've been looking for then what is left to believe in?"

Mulder: "I want to believe that the dead are not lost to us. That they speak to us as part of something greater than us-- greater than any alien force. And if you and I are powerless now, I want to believe that if we listen to what's speaking, it can give us the power to save ourselves."

I think that, while it wasn't what I expected, the finale was great. It wasn't about the characters or the paranormal quest. It was about the really basic theme of the show: faith. And it gave a really more down to earth moral to the x-files than a huge alien vs humanity war would have. Finally, I think that the show really closed the curtains in a modest yet very honest way.

Mulder: Maybe there's hope.

• 2 years later...
Guest Laurent.

^^ Good post! Hahaha! :clapping:

Those who didn't enjoy the finale are surely also disappointed by the new movie. It's a shame really. I think that, in the end, the way Chris Carter views his own creation is very different from how a lot of fans view it. It's not science-fiction in the lines of "Independance Day" or "Star Trek".. it's more about the characters and their search for the truth is mostly use to test and play with their faiths, beliefs and personalities. The X-Files will not go out with a big surprise story, but it will go out with a comment about the human spirit. The characters find conclusion even if the story doesn't... and maybe it was always meant to be this way. The human search for God will never end.. so why would the XF mythology end?

It would be strange to see a movie where Mulder and Scully stop an alien invasion... that's not very X-Filish... neither is the end of the world. If a third movie ever gets the greenlight, I'll be very anxious of how they end the franchise.