Was There Suppose To Be

Rate this topic

Been watching the final 2 seasons of X-Files on TNT, with the additon of Doggett and Reyes it seems to me that there was gonna be a spin-off or a continuation with them 2 at the helm.....has anyone have knowlege about this? i remember either reading or hearing about it during the final season

Guest Kelanth

LOL, Joe, same here. And, having still not seen the last 2 eps, (I gave up on the show right before then, see how much I suck, but I have them on tape to watch tomorrow) I think they were planning on either a movie or a new series. However, the fan base didn't really like Monica and Dogboy. And there was no way they were willing to sit through more UST.

But, those are just my thoughts and opinions from when I was a bit more "in the know" with the XF crowd.

• Elders (Moderators)

Yeah, what a pity. I especially liked John Dogget. Like it was said before, perhaps he should have occured one or two seasons earlier, I think especially the seventh season was a little bit lame although it has great episodes. After watching seasons 8 and 9 I couldn´t really understand why so many people didn´t like Dogget. He brought a freshness to the series and was a great counterpart to Mulder. I consider season 8 as one of the best X-Files-Seasons, the finale is just breathtaking amazing and it is only topped by the finale of season 4, where Mulder is supposed to be dead. But then I just don´t know why they lost it in season 9. I would say that it´s the worst season of the X-Files because there were so many good ideas that started in season 8 and none of them were executed well. Terrific acting by Robert Patrick although but none of the episodes did rip me off my chair. The biggest disapointment was "The Truth". Reyes and Dogget mutated to some kind of extras to make way for the great comeback of Mulder. And what was that bringing back all the important characters, even the dead ones, all about ? The ghost of Krychek is even shutting the door behind Mulder in the teaser. That was the point were I was going "What the hell...?" But let´s look forward to the second X-Files-Movie, perhaps they treat Dogget better there :praying: Which doesn´t mean that I don´t like Mulder but I hate to see such a terrific actor and character like Dogget just being pushed aside where he could contribute so much to the story...

• Elders (Moderators)

That is what I meant, they chose the most convenient way and got rid of so many main characters by just killing them. But there within lies the great danger of losing the touch with the audience. They killed off Cancer Man before, they killed Mulder and they came back. So any chance to be very touched as a viewer, because of the dead of a main character, is blown away. You know that the writers will invent some weird plot twist and so...TADAA...the deceased one returns. It was very good that they didn´t do that in MillenniuM. Bletcher and Catherine didn´t return (alright she did in "Sound of Snow" and Bletcher in "Powers, principalities, thrones and dominions" but you know what I mean :grin: ) so your feelings towards Frank are much deeper. Imagine they invented some kind of bringing-back-the-dead-vacine in the first episode of season three and Catherine returns in a heartbreaking finale of Exegesis. From that moment on everytime Catherine is in danger you are going "What the heck, they give her the vacine and she is back as is everyone else...". That is losing the touch BIG time. Perhaps Mulder should have stayed dead and not coming back to life in season eight, but you know...second movie... :wtf:

Guest Burnout

I did not hear of any spin offs for the x-files. The one I really hoped they do a good job with was the Lone Gun Men, and it really ticked me off that they killed them off, TLG would have been a perfect spin off--with tons of great story lines with in the show.

They did an LGM spin-off. It sucked. BAD. Those three just couldn't carry a show by themselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, thats what I've heard. Missed the episodes on TV, but did manage to tape a few episodes so when I got some time off I'll watch them. From what little I've seen it's more comical and not so serious in tone as X-files prodominately was. Maybe they should've toned down the quirky side of them, even though that was one of their "trademarks" on the X-files.