Small Error In "goodbye Charlie"

Rate this topic

The scene is where Steven Kiley is being interviewed by both Frank and Laura in the hospital. The conversation turns to Bobby Darin, whereby Kiley does state several actual facts, the many heart surgeries, the rheumatic fever Darin had as a child, etc. However, Kiley also claims that Darin decided not to have any more surgeries, knowing that he would die sooner than expected. In acutality, Darin died during open heart surgery on 12/20/1973, his body being donated to the UCLA Medical Center.

I know its nit-picking :eyes: it still did nothing to take away from a great episode..

Guest F_Black
The scene is where Steven Kiley is being interviewed by both Frank and Laura in the hospital. The conversation turns to Bobby Darin, whereby Kiley does state several actual facts, the many heart surgeries, the rheumatic fever Darin had as a child, etc. However, Kiley also claims that Darin decided not to have any more surgeries, knowing that he would die sooner than expected. In acutality, Darin died during open heart surgery on 12/20/1973, his body being donated to the UCLA Medical Center.

I know its nit-picking  :eyes:  it still did nothing to take away from a great episode..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed that, too. But it sounds better.

It would be interesting to reread some newspapers of the times.. [memory isn't what it use to be] It is possible he was found unconscious and taken to surgery to try and save his life even tho he did not wish it. Relatives have legal right to do it unless there is a living will or a DNR signed. It would not be the first time someone's verbal wishes were not honored by family members .

Just a thought! :ouro:

PS... thanks for the spell checker Old Man :clapping: :grin:

Guest F_Black
It would be interesting to reread some newspapers of the times.. [memory isn't what it use to be]  It is possible he was found unconscious and taken to surgery to try and save his life even tho he did not wish it.  Relatives have legal right to do it unless there is a living will or a DNR signed.  It would not be the first time someone's verbal wishes were not honored by family members . 

Just a thought!  :ouro:

PS... thanks for the spell checker Old Man  :clapping:  :grin:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I remember in my brief period of research, he had gone to the dentist shortly before his last surgery and, despite his doctor's warnings to take antibiotics before any sort of dental work, contracted septicemia which was the ultimate cause of death.

More here: https://www.bobbydarin.net/rollingstone.html

Kind of sad, really. Actually, when you go through his biography in some detail, it can be rather depressing during the last few years of his life. Still, he survived far longer than was expected and accomplished much more than anyone would have thought. He didn't have the pipes of, say, Sinatra, but he could do such a wide range of music with great facility.

Also, much of his music was kind of morbid, so his role in various Millennium episodes makes some sense. The title song for this episode, in fact, refers to a guy getting bumped off for fooling around with someone's wife.

My favorite period is his "crooner" phase when he was doing a lot of standards. This is the "Mack the Knife" period, and "Beyond the Sea" (used extensively in an X-Files episode) is also on this album. "Goodbye, Charlie" is kind of hard to come by; it's only on a few compilation CDs (it's on the Capitol Collector's Series CD, for example, but also "Touch of Class" which I think is a better collection). But try to pick up "That's All" and "This is Darin" (I think. THe one right after "That's All") as those are generally regarded as his classics..

He went into kind of a hippy phase after that and tried folk music, which he was good at, but you have to be into that sort of thing.

It would be interesting to reread some newspapers of the times.. [memory isn't what it use to be]  It is possible he was found unconscious and taken to surgery to try and save his life even tho he did not wish it.  Relatives have legal right to do it unless there is a living will or a DNR signed.  It would not be the first time someone's verbal wishes were not honored by family members . 

Just a thought!  :ouro:

PS... thanks for the spell checker Old Man  :clapping:  :grin:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, history gets distorted by time...anyone remember the old sociology experiment where every student but one left the room, a story was told to the first student, and then the other students were brought in one at a time to relay the story?. By the end, it had completely changed. Some add embellishment, some subtract things not personally important. It was fascinating to see a story morph into a half-truth. The source i had said he died on the operating table during a procedure to fix a faulty heart valve..

Whether he did or not, no biggie. I have to say, what do you guys believe, was Kiley from Heaven or Hell? We could get into quite a philosophical conversation over this, concerning moral and ethical ramifications of suicide, etc...i would like to have your opinions...thanks...Mark.. :gaba:

Guest blondton13
Yes, history gets distorted by time...anyone remember the old sociology experiment where every student but one left the room, a story was told to the first student, and then the other students were brought in one at a time to relay the story?. By the end, it had completely changed. Some add embellishment, some subtract things not personally important. It was fascinating to see a story morph into a half-truth. The source i had said he died on the operating table during a procedure to fix a faulty heart valve..

Whether he did or not, no biggie. I have to say, what do you guys believe, was Kiley from Heaven or Hell? We could get into quite a philosophical conversation over this, concerning moral and ethical ramifications of suicide, etc...i would like to have your opinions...thanks...Mark.. :gaba:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, since I waver between agnostic and atheist, I cannot accurately state that I think Kiley was from Heaven or Hell. But I will say that I am a firm supporter of Krevorkian, whom I feel serves a very similar function of providing an outlet for those who seek it. I don't think I personally could ever commit suicide because that's like game over, man! How would I ever know how it went?! :Gehenna_demon:

Making light of a dark subject...but I do feel that people have a right to do what they wish as long as it harms none. OK, suicide is self-harm, but it's their body, their choice. Though I say I wouldn't commit suicide, I'm relatively healthy and happy. If I were ill and in pain, I might want the option and the ability to call it quits with dignity.(Is this too depressing?-sorry!!) :eyes:

I believe his note said it all...' I had no choice' :ouro:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking of that particular scene when i submitted the question. I was just curious to see what others thought. Lets have some fun. If one adheres to the moral tenants of the Bible, then there is absolutely no doubt which path one should follow. In regards to demons, there are several passages in the Bible where they have appeared as "angels of light". To certain terminally ill patients, Kiley would have most likely been a "god-send".

The note "I had no choice" seems to denote an either or situation, and i guess one could logically deduce that since the very act of his fleeing the scene was an admission of guilt, then he would have had an inherent knowledge that what he was doing was, in society's eyes and from a religious viewpoint, wrong/immoral, etc.

Strange that the same painting appeared over the bed of the motel and in the living room in the final scene. I wonder if there is some hidden meaning in the painting, other than the fact that his picture was ALWAYS a face in the crowd, and that walnuts were believed to be prophetic. Aren't these great discussion topics??? Mark...LOL!!!!

as far as his face showing up in the pic would seem to indicate he was some sort of 'immortal' living generation after generation.

As to the note.. there are those who feel some have been used as pawns in the fight between good and evil.. There are those who feel that Judas had 'no choice' .. that he was a pawn .. one was needed and he was chosen [being the easiest to corrupt] .. perhaps 'Steven Kiley' was a pawn too and had 'no choice'.. :ouro:

WOW.. 400 posts.. :clapping::notworthy::roedecker: