Season One: 1st Disk.

Rate this topic

Guest The Daughter

Guest The Daughter

My first post and I`m nervous LOL!!

I re-watched the first four episodes of season one last night "Pilot, Gehenna, Dead Letters, The Judge." here are my thoughts.

Pilot: Deep, dark and thoughtful was the opener, good rainy scenes and polariods from a stranger which instantly got me hooked for later shows. The story, whole story just makes you want to watch the whole season in one night - if that was possible.

Totally enjoyed it from start to finish, no major floors that I could see and a good introduction to Frank Black, his family and the gerenal "Gift and curse" that he has to suffer - I even felt for that poor soul they found in the coffin at the end.

Gehenna: Belivable characters, good opener yet again but somehow, you miss the rain a little. Got you guessing to as to what was happening - I thought that the hair shampoo might have contained some chemical that caused the buying to combust or something, maybe thats just my imagination running wild.

The guy dying from fright was a masterful piece of acting and Frank Blacks friend being caught in that giant microwave, you really did feel for him.

Dead Letters: From the off this episode lost me somehow, I didnt feel anything apart from anger at "James" for being so arrogant and self opinionated. The story lacked the punch the previous two had, it didnt hold my attention as much either so I found myself thinking about the ironing a few times.

I totally loved the fact that Frank stood up against all those that didnt believe him about there being a note on the body somewhere but, unfortunatly, "James" loosing it at the end totally made me feel disappointed after such a jaw opening 2 episodes that went before this.

The Judge: Watching the guy eat with a green tongue, what can you say but ewwww and then to make it worse, to have it removed and mail it to someone. That poor, poor woman! The tension was so high, I even looked away from the screen for a second or two before the tongue was revealed in the package.

I was now enjoying the story once again after the let down of Dead Letters. The introduction of The Judge, his ways and his "family" made my spine tingle and how he carried out his justice but, what could have been a totally excellent episode went down hill from there to an average one.

They caught the runner and they caught the judge, the only note worthy comment would be the stand off between judge and Frank but other than that, I felt like they were killing time until the end credits. Frank going to the house and finding a note - I still dont understand that. The Runner being caught drinking beer and saying that judge wasn't home.

I wish they had kept it that way, even I could establish that some of the "sentances" was carried out by being fed to the pigs and when it wasnt actually said where The Judge was and Frank walking away, they should have left that as open ended as it should have been, not a close up of a half-eating by the pigs judge.

Well, thats the 1st Disk of season one reviewed. I`ll watch the next two episodes tonight and so on then post another review (so long as no one minds)

the daughter

Guest ein042

Thank you for your fresh outlook on our fav show.

I rarely think about the ironing when watching Millennium. Actually I don't need an excuse to avoid thinking about it, lol!

If you have time to glance through some of the episode discussions you'll find a whole wealth of information on the meaning behind many of what you might think are less than riveting episodes. This group misses nothing and there are hidden gems everywhere.

"They caught the runner and they caught the judge, the only note worthy comment would be the stand off between judge and Frank but other than that, I felt like they were killing time until the end credits. Frank going to the house and finding a note - I still don't understand that. The Runner being caught drinking beer and saying that judge wasn't home."

As you revisit the rest of the series you'll notice the recurrence of a character known as Legion. The bible reference in this episode, though slightly inaccurate, explains who Legion is. He appears next in 'Powers, Principalities, Thrones & Dominions' as Alester Pepper, who again refers to Frank's family and again offers him a job, as in this episode.

The note ;

" 'SORRY TO HAVE MISSED YOU. ANOTHER TIME?" refers to a personification of evil that is constantly metamorphosing into different people.

The different incarnations of this entity and it's lust after Frank and his abilities is part of the myth-arc of the series.

Bardale's comment that Frank was "like me" still puzzles me. and the destruction of the Judge as the destruction later on of Pepper may have a connection I haven't caught on to yet.

But that's why we love this show!

Welcome

Bonnie :)

Thank you for your fresh outlook on our fav show.

I rarely think about the ironing when watching Millennium. Actually I don't need an excuse to avoid thinking about it, lol!

If you have time to glance through some of the episode discussions you'll find a whole wealth of information on the meaning behind many of what you might think are less than riveting episodes. This group misses nothing and there are hidden gems everywhere.

As you revisit the rest of the series you'll notice the recurrence of a character known as Legion. The bible reference in this episode, though slightly inaccurate, explains who Legion is. He appears next in 'Powers, Principalities, Thrones & Dominions' as Alester Pepper, who again refers to Frank's family and again offers him a job, as in this episode.

The note ;

" 'SORRY TO HAVE MISSED YOU. ANOTHER TIME?" refers to a personification of evil that is constantly metamorphosing into different people.

The different incarnations of this entity and it's lust after Frank and his abilities is part of the myth-arc of the series.

Bardale's comment that Frank was "like me" still puzzles me. and the destruction of the Judge as the destruction later on of Pepper may have a connection I haven't caught on to yet.

But that's why we love this show!

Welcome

Bonnie :)

Bonnie...very eloquent reply. In regards to the issue of the note, i tend to agree with you. Knowing from where it comes from lends a heightened sense of inevitability and uneasiness. In regards to the destruction of the judge, this is the way i am thinking. The judge was the personification of Legion. In the Bible, Legion, also known as the Gadarene Demon is found in both the gospels of Mark (5:9) and Luke (8:30)...

According to the Bible, Jesus travelled to a region by the name of Gadarenes where he met a man possessed by an evil spirit...

Luke 8:30-33

And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him.

And they besought him that he would not command them to go out into the deep.

And there was there an herd of many swine feeding on the mountain: and they besought him that he would suffer them to enter into them.

Then went the devils out of the man, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the lake, and were choked.

I believe that we see the Judge dead amongst the swine on his farm as an allegory or metaphor of the Biblical references above...but i could be wrong....

The scene i found that defined the episode was where Bletch is questioning The Judge as he stands at his door. There is a moment when he looks at Frank and smiles, as if he knows who he is...

Also, as Frank is walking to the questioning room, here is the dialog as taken from The MillenniuM Abyss..

Teeple: "You know that he asked for you last

night."

Giebelhouse: "Talk to him. He's going home soon

anyway."

Teeple: "He called you `The Outsider.' "

does anyone know what significance "The Outsider" would have in regards to this episode?

4th Horseman..

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
My first post and I`m nervous LOL!!

I re-watched the first four episodes of season one last night "Pilot, Gehenna, Dead Letters, The Judge." here are my thoughts.

Pilot: Deep, dark and thoughtful was the opener, good rainy scenes and polariods from a stranger which instantly got me hooked for later shows. The story, whole story just makes you want to watch the whole season in one night - if that was possible.

Totally enjoyed it from start to finish, no major floors that I could see and a good introduction to Frank Black, his family and the gerenal "Gift and curse" that he has to suffer - I even felt for that poor soul they found in the coffin at the end.

Gehenna: Belivable characters, good opener yet again but somehow, you miss the rain a little. Got you guessing to as to what was happening - I thought that the hair shampoo might have contained some chemical that caused the buying to combust or something, maybe thats just my imagination running wild.

The guy dying from fright was a masterful piece of acting and Frank Blacks friend being caught in that giant microwave, you really did feel for him.

Dead Letters: From the off this episode lost me somehow, I didnt feel anything apart from anger at "James" for being so arrogant and self opinionated. The story lacked the punch the previous two had, it didnt hold my attention as much either so I found myself thinking about the ironing a few times.

I totally loved the fact that Frank stood up against all those that didnt believe him about there being a note on the body somewhere but, unfortunatly, "James" loosing it at the end totally made me feel disappointed after such a jaw opening 2 episodes that went before this.

The Judge: Watching the guy eat with a green tongue, what can you say but ewwww and then to make it worse, to have it removed and mail it to someone. That poor, poor woman! The tension was so high, I even looked away from the screen for a second or two before the tongue was revealed in the package.

I was now enjoying the story once again after the let down of Dead Letters. The introduction of The Judge, his ways and his "family" made my spine tingle and how he carried out his justice but, what could have been a totally excellent episode went down hill from there to an average one.

They caught the runner and they caught the judge, the only note worthy comment would be the stand off between judge and Frank but other than that, I felt like they were killing time until the end credits. Frank going to the house and finding a note - I still dont understand that. The Runner being caught drinking beer and saying that judge wasn't home.

I wish they had kept it that way, even I could establish that some of the "sentances" was carried out by being fed to the pigs and when it wasnt actually said where The Judge was and Frank walking away, they should have left that as open ended as it should have been, not a close up of a half-eating by the pigs judge.

Well, thats the 1st Disk of season one reviewed. I`ll watch the next two episodes tonight and so on then post another review (so long as no one minds)

the daughter

Hello again 'The Daughter'; thank you for your good post and your first impressions of the show. It's been a while since I have seen the First Season, so I'd better get on the ball and catch up with you : )

I can understand your feelings about 'Dead Letters'; I remember having similar thoughts after seeing it the first time (actually, I've only seen the series one complete time through with the exception of a few episodes) Especially in direct comparison to the first 2 Episodes, this one seems a little less directed. I suppose the main thought we are meant to get from this Episode is the emotional stress that Frank consistantly has to deal with and it's effects on others. I hope you enjoy your continuing on in the series; I'm anxious to see what you think of the 2nd Season when you get there since it is quite different in a number of ways than the First Season. Actually, as you look through the posts, you will see that this one fact is the source of endless conversation and controversy.

Have Fun! :bigsmile:

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
Bonnie...very eloquent reply. In regards to the issue of the note, i tend to agree with you. Knowing from where it comes from lends a heightened sense of inevitability and uneasiness. In regards to the destruction of the judge, this is the way i am thinking. The judge was the personification of Legion. In the Bible, Legion, also known as the Gadarene Demon is found in both the gospels of Mark (5:9) and Luke (8:30)...

According to the Bible, Jesus travelled to a region by the name of Gadarenes where he met a man possessed by an evil spirit...

Luke 8:30-33

And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him.

And they besought him that he would not command them to go out into the deep.

And there was there an herd of many swine feeding on the mountain: and they besought him that he would suffer them to enter into them.

Then went the devils out of the man, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the lake, and were choked.

I believe that we see the Judge dead amongst the swine on his farm as an allegory or metaphor of the Biblical references above...but i could be wrong....

The scene i found that defined the episode was where Bletch is questioning The Judge as he stands at his door. There is a moment when he looks at Frank and smiles, as if he knows who he is...

4th Horseman..

Excellent comments tying in the Biblical reference 4H! Being a avid Bible student myself I really enjoyed your including that. I think your observation as to how they specifically brought that into the episode at the end there likely is true.

Guest The Daughter

wow, you guys are so knowledgeable!! I`ll continue to watch season one then read all your guys posts. As you can tell, I totally missed the point of the letter in "The Judge" Twists like these only makes you love it more!!

Guest ein042
wow, you guys are so knowledgeable!! I`ll continue to watch season one then read all your guys posts. As you can tell, I totally missed the point of the letter in "The Judge" Twists like these only makes you love it more!!

Please keep posting your thoughts on the show. I enjoyed your review and new perspective. remind us of things we may have overlooked or take for granted after so many watchings.

Thanks to Forth Horseman for clarifying on the biblical reference. I checked Libby's Transcript on the episode but relied on memory for that. The actual quote made the difference. I'm not sure what the "outsider" means. Franks true nature remains a mystery to me.

Bardale's comment "like me" when Frank told him he was a private citizen not a cop, indicates a connection to Frank, if I'm not reading too much into it.

Bardale's twisted but compulsive need for justice parallels Franks own, in a way.

Anyway, Daughter. Like LoH said, Have fun!

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

The whole point of 'The Judge' is that Frank is an outsider, exactly like The Judge. The Judge has an authority and power that instills awe but also resentment in the criminal classes. Bardale looks at him and sees great power but also that The Judge is not one of his kind. Therefore, in the end he turns on him.

Frank is the same. He has great knowledge and power in his field which Bletch, giebelhaus etc respect but he isn't 'one of the guys'. Frank is left out of the interrogation and it is clear that Gibelhaus really doesn't care for Frank and his ways at this point. Bletch also calls Frank on his behaviour many times in the season and they always seem to be on a different wavelength.

Bletch says he has been told he looks like a cop and wonders if Frank does too. The truth is that Frank is hard to pin down. Bletch doesn't know if he looks like one of his guys, Bardale doesn't know if Frank is one of his kind. Where Bletch respects the law and doesn't trespass because of the injuction, wants to run in the car for stolen plates etc, Frank understands the limits of the law and goes beyond to do whatever it takes. How is that different from what The Judge does? He sees the law will never adequately deal with thugs like Bardale' they'll just bounce him in and out of prison with the death toll slowly mounting.

Guest betweenthelines

[

After the great 'Pilot' and 'Gehenna' I guess anything was bound to look second-rate. I didn't really care about James all that much; the only thing I really enjoy about this episode was Jordan's nightmare about the clowns. Otherwise, a huge step backwards from the previous episodes. I thought 'The Judge' was good, though...

[

After the great 'Pilot' and 'Gehenna' I guess anything was bound to look second-rate. I didn't really care about James all that much; the only thing I really enjoy about this episode was Jordan's nightmare about the clowns. Otherwise, a huge step backwards from the previous episodes. I thought 'The Judge' was good, though...

BTL...what is it about clowns that freak people out so? There are many others here who feel the same as you do. Two things...during the clown sequence at the birthday party in the front yard, did anyone notice anything different about the color of their skin? In particular, the lips? To me they had that dark gray tinge of decay and death....maybe i am seeing things..

2ndly, i think Dead Letters, although as i agree as well that it is not as strong as The Pilot or Gehenna (still my favorite episode), very eloquently showed that to do the work that Frank has taken upon himself, you MUST be able to seperate the profiler from the husband/father. Frank, thru years of experience is able to look at his life as being divided in half, between what he has to do to combat evil, and what his responsibilities are at home. James on the other hand, was never able to make the seperation. I think this ties in very nicely to the interviews of the Academy Group members who make the same claim. If you personalize it, it will drive you crazy...

i also think, if i remember correctly that this was one of the shows that saw some of the crew quit over its gratuitiousness. Even Lance was taken back when he had to do the scene in the elevator if i remember..

4th Horseman...