the petition: a good thing?

Rate this topic

Guest Pencil Machine Operator

hey, i suppose everyone on this forum put their name to that petition thingy that was going round. personally i was feeling pretty optimistic signing it (finally, we were doing something). but then i read on one of the sites that it got something like 450 names, which was disappointing to say the least. And then i started thinking "if that petition is sent to someone at fox, wont it just turn them off releasing MM on dvd?" I mean, 500 (ok lets say a thousand at the most)guaranteed copies sold? unless fox have suddenly become disinterested in profits or something, they're not going to want to release such an expensive, and, it seems, unpopular package

ok sorry to be so pessimistic. I honestly hope someone can convince me im wrong.

• Elders (Admins)

Hi,

You make a valid point but I think the DVD Petition is the one I stared some time ago (details on my site) and at the time I had very few visitors. In fact not much has changed!

It couldn't be a representative indicator of projected sales I'm afraid.

Regards,

Graham. :ouro:

Gra,

I didn't know you were the mastermind behind the DVD petition!  That was one of the first things I did when I hooked up with the online MLM community.

PMO,

I agree with Gra, you make some excellent points.  I have also heard that studios don't pay much mind to petitions in the first place.  Is this true?

Scott

ah, who cares anyway, I've just found out about the dvd-rs...best news in ages! Im ordering at least one season ASAP (but which one...?).

thanks for the review,

p.s Is season 3 worth the money? (I havent seen any of the episodes) I loved the first 2 (2 a little more than 1), so I'm thinking they're the safer bets.

:plain_big:

.......if it were me getting them for the first time i would start with season-1.    ...my all time favorite seasons are,in a tie for best,S1/3 with season-2 a slightly distant third. there are a group of hardcores who wish S3 never happened and there's an equelly,if not larger,group who admired the "balls to the walls" back to form of S3 :cool-big:

...just my perspective. PEACE,

se7en :ouro:

Guest Wellington

Hi

Petition or not, I am not sure whether it will have any influence over the commercial release of the DVDs. The only positive thing about it is that it shows that there are hard-core fans for it, but litle more. Of course 500 signatures are not the best argument, but at least the petition is there for everyone to sign in. But not everybody knows about it. But on second thought, perhaps the single fact that it is may prove very positive.

I am pretty sure that amongst those who have bought The X-Files DVDs many do not roam the x-f online community as much as others could do. People who liked MM then may very well be tempted by buying it, even though they do not breath MM. And in the end (how many days left?  :p ), good marketings create the need to buy. MM could be an enormous success in DVD, maybe far more than syndication. Like every other product, some will buy it and will never have had the intention to! The challenge will be to rise this amount to the threshold of payback, or so I guess.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LauraKrycek
Hey, think of it this way:  if every one of those 500 people also puts down the names of ten family members, or makes up ten names, that makes it 5000.  Playing dirty, but hey, the only people who can lose anything from it are the FOX fiends, and nobody cares about them once they make the DVDs anyway.

• 2 months later...

Wow! I just signed the new petition (at least I think its new).

1,600 signatures! now thats impressive. I hope no-one is signing it multiple times (or, whisper it, maybe I hope they do... :bigsmile: ).

So how come theres such a noticeable difference between the 2 petitions? Has MM's internet fan presence suddenly tripled in size? I hope so.