Back to the Pilot

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

I'm not sure why, but suddenly the time feels right to go back to the beginning and watch season one from start to finish. Last night I started with the Pilot, and it was interesting going back to the start after most recently viewing season 3. It's kind of sad, looking back to the pilot and seeing a happy family in a new yellow house, with a new puppy and making a fresh start, and then seeing it all fall apart as the series progresses. Don't get me wrong, this is not a complaint, as I like a nice tragic story, but it is sad nonetheless. This episode really sets the tone for the series and does a great job introducing the characters and setting up the story line with Frank and the Millennium group.

I don't know if it's just getting older or if it's partially due to my love for shows like MM and the "cop shows" that delve into the dark side of human nature, but I frequently remind myself of Frank in a way. I have never faced evil up close and personal like Frank's character, and I have certainly never gotten disturbing polaroids like he does, but I kind of remind myself of Frank in the episode "The Curse Of Frank Black", when on Halloween night, when everyone else is in a light mood and having fun, he is seeing the creature in the window and thinking the program on TV is an actual person screaming. With all the maniacs and idiots out there, I never really relax with the family until we are at home. I guess it's a good thing I don't have kids of my own or I would probably always be imagining crazy scenarios.

It would be fun to be a kid again for a day and not to have the slightest inkling of the realities of the world. Even during the first go around, I kind of viewed Millennium more from the entertainment point of view, but when you watch some of the documentary type shows, and think about it, the kind of thing we see on Millennium really does exist, and it's kind of disturbing to think that your Grand Parents and nephews and nieces have to go out among some of these monsters, not to mention your run of the mill idiots. Season one really does deal with some fascinating subject matter, and might be the first show that really consistently explores the theory of there being a "greater evil" out there. The episode also really sets the tone of the series with some pretty graphic imagery, especially with the coffin scene and Calamity dancing on the blood dimmed tide. Oh, and yes, now that it has been pointed out, I can see that the pilot did use another yellow house than the one we see throughout the rest of the series.

By the way, there were some scenes that kind of unintentionally made me chuckle. The first is when they make Peter Watts say "extraneous stressor" in his first scene. It really comes out of his mouth like a tongue twister. It sounds like the kind of thing you could flub a few times and have to keep re shooting the scene, kind of like in "Doomsday Defense" when it seems like Frank has to struggle to get "roving free lance forensic profiler" out without flubbing it. Another chuckle that comes to mind of kind of subtle, but typical Frank, he tells the Bletcher and the police that the killer doesn't see the world like everyone else, when Bletch asks him to elaborate on how he does see it, Frank simply says "Differently". Gee, thanks Frank.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
......oh my goodness you should be writing reviews!!!!!!

LOL, thanks, I try. The reviews of some here can be compared to wine and caviar, mine are more like a burger and fries, but it's still fun. Didn't somebody famous say something like that once? I was going to move on to Gehenna tonight, but I decided to go with the Pilot again because I enjoyed it so much last night. Man, somebody please come up with a new series that is in the same league as Millennium. This series really is/was in a league of it's own. Maybe Chris Carter will come up with a new project, but MM and XF might be a once in a lifetime thing. And to think they were both out at the same time. Chris must have felt on top of the world back then.

Guest Janset
Last night I started with the Pilot, and it was interesting going back to the start after most recently viewing season 3. It's kind of sad, looking back to the pilot and seeing a happy family in a new yellow house, with a new puppy and making a fresh start, and then seeing it all fall apart as the series progresses. Don't get me wrong, this is not a complaint, as I like a nice tragic story, but it is sad nonetheless. This episode really sets the tone for the series and does a great job introducing the characters and setting up the story line with Frank and the Millennium group.

I felt the same thing when I rewatched the pilot after seeing the whole show. I also felt the sadness you mentione.

Thanks for your review,it's gives me the desire to rewatched the pilot.

And sorry for the bad english...

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I felt the same thing when I rewatched the pilot after seeing the whole show. I also felt the sadness you mentione.

Thanks for your review,it's gives me the desire to rewatched the pilot.

And sorry for the bad english...

Yes, the pilot is one that you never really get tired of. By the way, your English is actually pretty good. I didn't notice you were from France until you mentioned it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Elders (Admins)
I'm not sure why, but suddenly the time feels right to go back to the beginning and watch season one from start to finish. Last night I started with the Pilot, and it was interesting going back to the start after most recently viewing season 3. It's kind of sad, looking back to the pilot and seeing a happy family in a new yellow house, with a new puppy and making a fresh start, and then seeing it all fall apart as the series progresses. Don't get me wrong, this is not a complaint, as I like a nice tragic story, but it is sad nonetheless. This episode really sets the tone for the series and does a great job introducing the characters and setting up the story line with Frank and the Millennium group.

I don't know if it's just getting older or if it's partially due to my love for shows like MM and the "cop shows" that delve into the dark side of human nature, but I frequently remind myself of Frank in a way. I have never faced evil up close and personal like Frank's character, and I have certainly never gotten disturbing polaroids like he does, but I kind of remind myself of Frank in the episode "The Curse Of Frank Black", when on Halloween night, when everyone else is in a light mood and having fun, he is seeing the creature in the window and thinking the program on TV is an actual person screaming. With all the maniacs and idiots out there, I never really relax with the family until we are at home. I guess it's a good thing I don't have kids of my own or I would probably always be imagining crazy scenarios.

It would be fun to be a kid again for a day and not to have the slightest inkling of the realities of the world. Even during the first go around, I kind of viewed Millennium more from the entertainment point of view, but when you watch some of the documentary type shows, and think about it, the kind of thing we see on Millennium really does exist, and it's kind of disturbing to think that your Grand Parents and nephews and nieces have to go out among some of these monsters, not to mention your run of the mill idiots. Season one really does deal with some fascinating subject matter, and might be the first show that really consistently explores the theory of there being a "greater evil" out there. The episode also really sets the tone of the series with some pretty graphic imagery, especially with the coffin scene and Calamity dancing on the blood dimmed tide. Oh, and yes, now that it has been pointed out, I can see that the pilot did use another yellow house than the one we see throughout the rest of the series.

By the way, there were some scenes that kind of unintentionally made me chuckle. The first is when they make Peter Watts say "extraneous stressor" in his first scene. It really comes out of his mouth like a tongue twister. It sounds like the kind of thing you could flub a few times and have to keep re shooting the scene, kind of like in "Doomsday Defense" when it seems like Frank has to struggle to get "roving free lance forensic profiler" out without flubbing it. Another chuckle that comes to mind of kind of subtle, but typical Frank, he tells the Bletcher and the police that the killer doesn't see the world like everyone else, when Bletch asks him to elaborate on how he does see it, Frank simply says "Differently". Gee, thanks Frank.

......oh my goodness you should be writing reviews!!!!!!

Okay, I've bagged this post as a review for the Pilot episode in the new episode guide! Its really good and makes some great points, plus its written from a fans point of view!

Also, you helped me identify and fix a bug at the same time!

Hope this is okay with you! :kickin:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Okay, I've bagged this post as a review for the Pilot episode in the new episode guide! Its really good and makes some great points, plus its written from a fans point of view!

Also, you helped me identify and fix a bug at the same time!

Hope this is okay with you! :kickin:

Absolutely, I'm honored to be a participant in the new episode guide. I haven't run across that new feature, so I will have to look for it. By way, anything you do is OK with me, you're the old man, just don't call me Franklin. :oneeyedwinK Also, I'm glad I could help with that bug.

• Elders (Admins)

LOL! Thanks! I've updated your membergroup settings so that you can access our Millennium Episode and Credits Guide forums where you can find links to the new episode guide and see your review in all its glory! Hopefully you might want to write a few more, or some other contributions.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
LOL! Thanks! I've updated your membergroup settings so that you can access our Millennium Episode and Credits Guide forums where you can find links to the new episode guide and see your review in all its glory! Hopefully you might want to write a few more, or some other contributions.

Thanks Old Man, I feel as though I have been Knighted!! :notworthy: