Season Six

Rate this topic

I got season 6 as a B-Day gift and i have been watching the episodes. Hey, what a great season!

it does have some stinkers like.........How the Ghost Stole X-Mas. Dreamland 1&2 where OK, but some of these epis are like a knockout one after the other. Alpha-Trevor-Milagro-The Unatural...its like bam-bam-bam!

I kinda liked Morris Fletcher, wish we could of seen more of him.

Season 6 started in 1999, did it follow the X-Files Movie?

post-569-1151461521_thumb.jpg

Guest A Stranger
I got season 6 as a B-Day gift and i have been watching the episodes. Hey, what a great season!

it does have some stinkers like.........How the Ghost Stole X-Mas. Dreamland 1&2 where OK, but some of these epis are like a knockout one after the other. Alpha-Trevor-Milagro-The Unatural...its like bam-bam-bam!

Wow, crazy you would knock How the Ghosts stole X-Mas and feel "okay" about Dreamlands. If you take season six for what it's worth it's by far one of the most creative seasons of any series, hands down. I think it's one of the best because of this. Yeah, I love scary, dark, serious XF but this was really an outstanding year if you're into the comedy of Gilligan and the more warm, quirky dynamics of Mulder and Scully. It was all down hill after this year for the most part. Year 8 had it's moments but season 6 is the last great season as far as I'm concerned.

And Season six was followed by the movie.

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
Wow, crazy you would knock How the Ghosts stole X-Mas and feel "okay" about Dreamlands. If you take season six for what it's worth it's by far one of the most creative seasons of any series, hands down. I think it's one of the best because of this. Yeah, I love scary, dark, serious XF but this was really an outstanding year if you're into the comedy of Gilligan and the more warm, quirky dynamics of Mulder and Scully. It was all down hill after this year for the most part. Year 8 had it's moments but season 6 is the last great season as far as I'm concerned.

And Season six was followed by the movie.

YES! Definitely an awesome season all right! (BTW, A-S, I really like the BLUE avatar... VERY pretty :yes: )

However, please forgive me for correcting you, but I believe that the movie came out between the 5th and 6th seasons. The 5th season ended with Gibson Praise as the chess prodigy / mind reader; then the film followed.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

I kind of think of season 5 as the last great season, but season 6 had some great episodes mixed in, and I wouldn't complain if someone gave me the DVD set for that year. I forgot most of "How The Ghosts..." but I don't remember being that crazy about it either. I do have to confess that I really did enjoy "Dreamland", and some of the humorous aspects of the two parter, and yes, it would have been fun to see a little more of Morris Fletcher. Some of my favorites in S6 include Dreamlands, Tithonus, Monday, Milagro, and Field Trip.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
i am not saying hated Dreamland 1 & 2, its just not on my list of favs in this Season. Its hard to say which one is #1 for me for Season 6

Yeah, it would be hard to pick an S6 favorite because there are some good ones, but the good ones are pretty much equal to each other and none of them really stands out too much. I think if I did pick a favorite though, it would probably be Tithonus, followed closely by Milagro. Thinking back, I really thought of season 6 as a drop off, but I was surprised, looking at the episode guide recently, that there were still so many great episodes in this season and there were still quite a few classics. I guess the same really can be said about season 7, although the good ones were fewer yet and further between. As I have mentioned many times, the Doggett and Reyes years really started to lose me.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Yeah Season 7 has a few nice spots, like MilleniuM...Orison....Hungry...Theef and Chimera. Seasons 8 & 9 where heading down the shitter. Killing off the Lone Gunman was just plain dumb

I agree, and it sounds like we have some of the same favorites in S7. I also enjoyed "Closure", and I thought "The Great Maleeni" was cute.

Guest A Stranger
Yeah Season 7 has a few nice spots, like MilleniuM...Orison....Hungry...Theef and Chimera. Seasons 8 & 9 where heading down the shitter. Killing off the Lone Gunman was just plain dumb

My bad on the movie timeline, I meant to say seaosn six came after the film.

I have really mixed feelings on "Closure." It's really a testement to the quality of directing, acting, and Carter's ability to create great images with words that make what what is really a s*** story appear decent. I think at times it's very moving and I love the ending, it's very sad and comforting in a very interesting way. The monoluque by Mulder in the teaser is one of Carter's finest, very poetic and affecting. But it just destorys all the continuity regarding Samantha. We'd been told too many times that she is still alive and though he is reunited in a way, it's a cop-out and just anti-climatic for her to have been dead all this time, walkin spirts or otherwise. Samanath being alive was really what fuled Mulder and it makes his entire search seem somewhat useless knowing she's dead and that her death didn't even have much to do with her abduction.

On season six, I'd go with "Milagro" as not just my favorite of that year but one of my favorites all together. It's absoultely outstanding.

I think seven was probably the worst just after year nine. Season eight, actaully had it's moments. The show felt kind of fresh at times as the mythology was reinvigerated briefly (This is Not Happening) But Carter's insistence to keep the show going w/o Duchovny was the downfall and instead of taking the precious time they had left to got out on top, they sqaundered the oppurtunity by trying to keep the show going. Doggett was an alright character, Patrick is actaully really good in the series, but the character is out of place as a lead and he was used too much and in the wrong capacity. His love for Scully was actually a really good idea but it should have been used to play off of Mulder and Scully's love. The focus was shifted to make Mulder "just another character" in Team X-Files but he was really the focus of the first seven years, or at least he and Scully equally. It's hard to create characters as real, timeless and in tune with the culture the way Mulder and Scully were and I think Carter and Co. got selfish when they thought he could do it again with Doggett and Reyes.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
My bad on the movie timeline, I meant to say seaosn six came after the film.

I have really mixed feelings on "Closure." It's really a testement to the quality of directing, acting, and Carter's ability to create great images with words that make what what is really a s*** story appear decent. I think at times it's very moving and I love the ending, it's very sad and comforting in a very interesting way. The monoluque by Mulder in the teaser is one of Carter's finest, very poetic and affecting. But it just destorys all the continuity regarding Samantha. We'd been told too many times that she is still alive and though he is reunited in a way, it's a cop-out and just anti-climatic for her to have been dead all this time, walkin spirts or otherwise. Samanath being alive was really what fuled Mulder and it makes his entire search seem somewhat useless knowing she's dead and that her death didn't even have much to do with her abduction.

On season six, I'd go with "Milagro" as not just my favorite of that year but one of my favorites all together. It's absoultely outstanding.

I think seven was probably the worst just after year nine. Season eight, actaully had it's moments. The show felt kind of fresh at times as the mythology was reinvigerated briefly (This is Not Happening) But Carter's insistence to keep the show going w/o Duchovny was the downfall and instead of taking the precious time they had left to got out on top, they sqaundered the oppurtunity by trying to keep the show going. Doggett was an alright character, Patrick is actaully really good in the series, but the character is out of place as a lead and he was used too much and in the wrong capacity. His love for Scully was actually a really good idea but it should have been used to play off of Mulder and Scully's love. The focus was shifted to make Mulder "just another character" in Team X-Files but he was really the focus of the first seven years, or at least he and Scully equally. It's hard to create characters as real, timeless and in tune with the culture the way Mulder and Scully were and I think Carter and Co. got selfish when they thought he could do it again with Doggett and Reyes.

Interesting points, and you have made me want to watch "Closure" again. Of course, I don't have the DVDs, so I am going to have to rely on reruns and luck, but I have had my interests rekindled a bit with recent discussion of the X-files, as well as such a long period of time that I haven't been watching. Interesting that you mention the ending of "Closure" because that is what stuck in my mind, but I haven't seen it in so long that I can't say much more about it. I kind of lost track of the whole Samantha story line. I think they probably tried to use her in too many different story lines, and instead of her being a continuous part of the story, they just kind of plugged her character in to suit whatever plot they had going at the time. At least this is how I remember it. I thought the whole cloning thing was kind of silly, and I seem to remember they borrowed Samantha for that episode, or series of episodes as well. As mentioned before, I do agree on Milagro though. personally, I think season 7 was better than 8 and 9, but I do agree that the show should have packed it in while it was on top. As has recently been suggested by at least one person here, I think they might have been better off trying a spin off with Doggett and Reyes, rather than to try to keep the X-files going with patchwork.