how does this site exist?

Rate this topic

Guest brittonbloom

Guest brittonbloom
Just curious about why this site exists...there was a period when carter was clamping down on unauthorized sites.

Guest fisbin

:thinking_big:

Are you certain it was not FOX that was doing it?I do not see why CC would want to shut down sites that promoted his finest creation?

live long & prosper.

Absolutely.  Chris Carter and Ten-Thirteen Productions have never been anything short of enthusiastic regarding their fan base and the actions of that fan base on the world wide web.  Never have Carter or any of the show's producers taken any action to shut down fan activities online.  

20th Century Fox, however, has a nasty reputation for stomping on the endeavors of those who follow their programs.  From a legal standpoint, one can understand why.  Fox's position has been that fan sites build themselves on copyrighted material from the shows, including photographs and logos, and that such blatant exploitation of those copyrighted materials should not be allowed for any reason.  Unfortunately, from a logical standpoint, it would seem that Fox is combating the very viewers which make their shows successful.  Fox's actions against fan websites seemed extreme for the sort of individuals they were targeting.

In the early days of The X-Files and Millennium Fox was very active in shutting down the most popular of fan sites on the web.  Since then, however, they have come to their senses and taken on a laissez-faire stance regarding fan websites; these days Fox does not seem willing to interfere in many fan activities at all, provided that they are clearly non-profit.  This especially holds true for Millennium fan activities.  I guarantee that 20th Century Fox has all but forgotten about that particular series.

I thank my lucky stars that the Millennial Abyss never received a letter from the lawyers representing 20th Century Fox.  In some ways, I can't imagine how I escaped their scrutiny during the first two years of the series.

:thumbsup_big: I'm glad FOX finaly came to it's senses.... (too late for XF & MM)  It was kinda like shooting yourself in the foot, don't you think?

I'm very glad and grateful that you managed to escape the "powers that be" at FOX.  Count those lucky stars! :wink_big:

~Raven Wolf :smokin:bgstars.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brittonbloom

Sorry for the long delay getting back to the discussion board, and I am very grateful for the serious answers and good information here. It was a bad call on my part to say Carter was behind the closing of fan sites...certainly Fox was being its corporate self.

A further question:

It is my impression that Carter envisioned Millennium as a deeper detective-type show as reflected in the first season. The writers themselves took over the show in the second season when Carter became involved in other projects and turned Millennium into the multi-dimensional, darker program I came to love.

Is this a true impression?

....unfortunately CC was busy with the upcomming x-files movie and then with S5 of x-files to "try" and ensure some continuity and buildup for the movie. he then installed M&W as executive-prods/writters

...Again,VERY unfortunately,when a lot of the writers/producers/directors of S1 saw the direction the show was heading in a lot of these brilliant people simply left the show and/or quite.    

...while realizing the impact M&W had in the MM-universe throughout most of S2 it is a sad fact that they essentially "benched" most of the writing staff that year as they wrote more than half of the eps that season,and alienated many a writer and producer-(such as ken horten,J.P. kousakis and chip johannessen)-in the process.

...just a few personal observations/thoughts,

Take care,

se7en :ouro:

Guest brittonbloom

Fascinating...pardon me for harping on the technical side but I am fascinated by the process of production. I am a writer so that aspect intrigues me (note: not a television or movie writer).

I'm sure you have more interesting material than correcting my rather distant impressions about the production world of TV, so I'll get off that topic...but thanks for taking my questions seriously.