Campaign

Rate this topic

Guest donkeyjote

Guest donkeyjote

Hello friends,

I've been a "lurker" on these boards for years, but now I feel compelled to talk about a matter of great importance. Or, as Mr Jeffrey Lebowski, aka the Dude, would put it: "New s** has come to light, man." :)

Being an X-Phile, I've been reading every new interview with Carter and Spotnitz and following all of their appearances during 2008. They have both been asked, repeatedly, about the possibility of a Millennium movie. Each time, they answered that they would be willing and interested in doing it. Recently, though, both have mentioned the fact that THEY NEED OUR SUPPORT. Now, I think, in a way, this changes everything. It's up to US to make the movie happen.

As you can infer by my lurker status in the community all these years, I'm not very good at writing clever arguments, organizing campaings, etc. But I know there are fans out there with the means and the wits to start a well-organized campaign: petitions, webpages, letters to Fox, and all that. I know this takes time, and that it seems hopeless - one tends to think "Oh, well, in the end, the suits at Fox just don't care, so why bother..." But I think we should embrace the spirit of the series we adore and show that WE CARE. That there IS hope. And that if WE start rolling the snowball down the hill, the future will do the rest.

I've tried taking the first step, and created a Facebook group you can all join:

We want a MillenniuM movie NOW!

Please feel free to change or add anything in the group.

I hope this is only the start of something big, and that we can make this movie happen.

Thanks for reading,

Diego.

btw: I've just created the group, so there's not much up there for the moment. I'll start contacting people and urging them to join soon. I think what matters above all is to get as many people involved as we can. So if you're on Facebook, for example, try to make all your friends join, even if they haven't heard of the show or don't care.

Edited by donkeyjote

Guest Laurent.

Welcome to the board Donkeyjote!

Just to add a bit to the importance that fans have, Carter said in his last interview that the main reason behind the greelighting of the new X-Files movie was the big fanbase the franchise still had. He also mentioned the campaign and publicity that the fan organized. There's hope. And the time is now, especially if XF:IWTB does well!

edit: I'll join the facebook group ASAP. Right now I'm at work; and facebook.com is blocked on the local network!!

Guest donkeyjote

D'oh! :snore:

and D'oh! again.

I hadn't seen the pinned thread about the campaign! Oh well... Way to go for a first post, huh?

Anyway, I've added a link to the petition on the group. And I'm pasting links to both anywhere I can. I truly believe if we make this our aim, we'll get the movie made.

Edited by donkeyjote

Greetings Donkeyjote,

May I add my warmest welcome to Laran's and hope you enjoy your time here with us. As it seems you have a working knowledge of what has been said with regards to an MM movie you may be able to shed a little light on what puzzles me. My own view is that some fairly mixed signals have been given out with regards to this with both CC and FS shedding doubt on the likelihood of such a project ever reaching fruition. Now this is not a criticism but rather than unite the fans as 'one true voice' in order that they might push for some development with this the interviews that I have read that have generally only featured a tepid response to the suggestion of a movie and do little to bolster enthusiasm. In fact, was not the last statement we had on this from Frank Spotnitz who stated on his blog recently that as time moves on an MM Movie looks increasingly unlikely? Lance on the other hand has kept this topic in the public domain beyond the call of duty, so eager is he to see this made that he took the rather unusual step of telling Swedish fans that it was to begin filming in 2008 - a statement I have never truly understood in light of the facts.

I have gone from optimistic to nihilistic in the space of paragraph with regards to this but my gut tells me that I doubt such a project, as badly as I want it, will get made. I believe Carter and co showed much more enthusiasm with regards to The X-Files franchise in interviews than they do about Millennium and whilst our enthusiam may be 'ever burning' it is their enthusiasm that is the ultimate decider in regards to whether this movie gets made or not.

Hope springs eternal I guess.

Best wishes,

Eth

there are 2,784 sigs on the online petition that was done by Sue Myatt. Has this ever been sent to FOX? or Chris Carter?

geez if this amount of people would pay to see a MM movie FOX would make $25,000. Plus there will be more than 2,784 to see this movie. FOX would be satisfy from its numbers

Joe....good point...However, in the same vein as Ethie, its great to see 2700 + sigs here at TIWWA, however, MillenniuM's popularity falls precipitiously when out of the shadow of this board..if, say, a MillenniuM movie could be made for around the same amount as the new X-Files feature...the equation is as follows...35 million divided by 8.50/ticket (standard cost of a movie ticket for Regal Entertainment nationwide) would require, JUST TO BREAK EVEN, 4,117,647 ticket sales....we can all speculate about how Carter could produce something at a lesser cost, but do you really want a MillenniuM movie, after all these years, made on a sub-standard, bare bones budget? Its pretty obvious that any success would be contingent upon many, many more people WANTING to see it, and i have said before i have run into the problem of the general pubic just REMEMBERING the series...

4th Horseman...

If a full-blown theatrical release isn't fesible then how about a DVD movie. this would also be better. You have your rental percentages and sales on top of that. I tend to think a straight to DVD would be better for Carter and Company

A direct-to-DVD or direct-to-TV movie is a very interesting option that I had theorized might have been suitable for XF also back before XF2 was announced. If XF2 turns out to be a financial success, we can hope to see more of Carter's work on the big screen. If it turns out to be...not as successful, the odds are that Fox wouldn't endorse another of Carter's projects. Carter's career with Fox is at stake with this. I think we'll know soon enough if the idea is dead or if there are still possibilities.

Of course he could move to a different production major like WB, but Fox would still keep rights to XF and MM. Donkeyjote's initiative is good but how much can we do? As 4th says, outside of these boards MM is seldom discussed. As much as we would like to fantasize, I'm not sure if MM is perceived as profitable enough for a theatrical release -- if XF2 had trouble to be greenlit, then imagine for MM.