THE Message

Rate this topic

Guest A Stranger

Guest A Stranger

As an overview of the show, stripping it down to the basic's what did you get out of MM? What was the impression the entire work gave you? I'm interested because after reading some posts it seems there are lots of different perspectives.

There were so many different writers and directors with different takes but I think in it's bare bones it was about finding hope in pain. The show always painted a a picture of a desperate, frightening reality and Frank tring to find the best way out.  Real art, if it has the guts doesn't lie to us about realityh. Which is why I think this show is still in my head and had such a huge impact on me. This show obvisouly struck a chord with many people. And of course none of us have ever seen demons, angels or tracked down seriel killers but I see these as abstractions of real emtions and expierences the fans have had.

Aslo, I just remembered   :smily_tooth_big: in "Gehenna" Catherine says she sees Frank as "the catcherr in the rye," one of my all time favorite novels. And I could go on here about Frank's attempts to persevre the innocence of the world much like Hold-on Caulfield but I'll stop. Remember, Frank did have a copy of "The Catcher in the Rye" on his bookself in "The Time is Now"...

:hello-big: Stranger!

I think you hit the nail right on the head with your observations!  In addition to what you said, I see it as representive of all of us, all humanity, trying to find hope in what seems to be a hopeless world, sometimes.  Trying to find where we fit in.  Trying to find peace, love and happiness, which, when you get right down to it, is all any of is wants.  Also, it's about learning to stand up for what you beleave in, even when the whole world is against you.

This is simply my opinion, and others have other opinions, none of which are wrong.  That is the beauty of such a work of art.  Everyone comes away with something different.  A gift, unique for each of us. :Ouro_Large:

Wow!  An excellent topic, to which I will have to return more than once, as I cannot even begin to tackle this one in just one post or opinion.

But, what comes to mind first, is the MLM was not afraid to portray the dark, suffering, painful aspects of life, AND was not afraid to indicate that most of the time there really is no resolution to such things.  MLM was not afraid to portray life without a "happily everafter" or neatly resolved conclusion.  I don't think any MLM episode ended in this fashion.

I also think much of the MLM story was about Frank Black, being his own man and freethinker, who would fight to find the truth and see that it was exposed, no matter how he was threatened, tempted, or was made to suffer because of it.  He would not relent, he would not give up, he would not give in.  In fact, the only thing that seemed to have stopped him at times, where his mental collapses, or near collapses.  But these only slowed him down temporarily.

I think the other message of MLM seemed to be that we are pretty much on our own, as far as evil and destruction, and chaos in the world.  And that, even those beings sent to help us (like the angelic manifestations) are not much help.  And, the other message was that even if we think there are human beings that will help us, in the end, they often turn out to be on the side of evil or against our purpose anyway (like the MLM Group).

These are not necessarily my own views of life, but these are the things that I see as some of the undercurrent messages of MLM.

I'm in agreement regarding the importance of Frank Black's personality and character to the show's overall message.  In the series overview that I wrote for the Abyss episode guide I did my best to depict the series briefly yet completely for visitors.  At the end of that general description I wrote one sentence that, I think, sums it all up...

"Frank Black stood determined against the building force of evil that apparently accompanied the countdown to the new millennium, a bright hero against the darkest of backdrops, a strong and solemn man who knew all too well that the end is always near and the only thing needed for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing."

If I were pressed to describe the show and its message in a single sentence for someone that would be it.  One of the overriding themes that I am left with after experiencing Millennium is this idea that it is the necessary role of dedicated, talented, moral individuals to involve themselves in horror.  If they don't, if they choose to ignore or avoid it, there can be no hope.  Frank Black's character, and the trials he was constantly faced with, show us this very clearly and I feel it is one of the show's strongest messages.  It speaks of the responsibility that we all carry while living in a world such as this.

......as far a an overall descriptor of the show i cannot think of anything better than C.C.'s own brief description of the show in an interview nearing S3,he was essentialy asked the same question posed here and he replied that,to him,MM is about "...BAD THINGS HAPPENING TO GOOD PEOPLE.AND THE PAINS AND CHALLENGES OF RISING ABOVE IT ALL."   -to my mind........WELL SAID.

~se7en :ouro:

Guest Yaponchik
I'm in agreement regarding the importance of Frank Black's personality and character to the show's overall message.  In the series overview that I wrote for the Abyss episode guide I did my best to depict the series briefly yet completely for visitors.  At the end of that general description I wrote one sentence that, I think, sums it all up...

"Frank Black stood determined against the building force of evil that apparently accompanied the countdown to the new millennium, a bright hero against the darkest of backdrops, a strong and solemn man who knew all too well that the end is always near and the only thing needed for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing."

If I were pressed to describe the show and its message in a single sentence for someone that would be it.  One of the overriding themes that I am left with after experiencing Millennium is this idea that it is the necessary role of dedicated, talented, moral individuals to involve themselves in horror.  If they don't, if they choose to ignore or avoid it, there can be no hope.  Frank Black's character, and the trials he was constantly faced with, show us this very clearly and I feel it is one of the show's strongest messages.  It speaks of the responsibility that we all carry while living in a world such as this.

Well said!

On a really personal note, the show gave me a lesson in modesty on the crossroads of intellect, morality and emotions (especially caring). The theme of life itself!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fledgling666
it was edmond burke, i think who said "all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." and that is the entirety of the message in my opinion. and i think those that made millennium believed that and tried to do what they knew how to do to "do something" about the approaching christian millennium and about the approaching control take-over by those in some sort of power. how safe and secure do you feel now that we are all regarded as suspects or possible suspects when boarding a plane? our rights stripped and more being proposed to be taken as we speak. our safety in question because the mere answer to whodunit is still in question. our trust of our leaders in question because of false promises. ben franklin said something like- those who would give up their freedom for the slightlest bit of security do not deserve it. do we?

• 3 months later...

:ouro:

I know this an old topic, but I wanted to give my answer

All my life I have been raised in church, in fact I will be leaving to go to church this morning in about 25 minutes. I have had my share of good and bad experiences involved with attending church. From my teens to now I have known that there are things we can not explain. That there are things that are often explained incorrectly by mislabeling or putting into a box that is way too small. Life as we know it is only half of the real picture. There is another realm - the spiritual - that is running along side and also actively involved in our physical world.

So called good people can do alot of harm to themselves and others by not taking into account the other "real world" and how it does indeed influence us. Whereas so called bad people purposefully deceive to insure "we" latch on to things that are wrong or deliberately lie about their existence. (Very general comment I know but it is to cover bases so I can go on to the point.)

In the show Millennium we see:

1. A man who has discernment and insight that he has developed to a point that is razor sharp.

2. The conflict of his wife who does not understand his burden because of this insight and also who wishes to "protect" her daughter (and herself) from this world and its impact on her world.

3. A group that started off with discernment and insight with all good intentions but later through time and loss of vision decided to embrace the science of man and the physical world as a way to bring about their religious beliefs.

4. Outsiders who see the power of what is going on and what the power and its benefits with little to no consideration of the cost.

5. The reality of other groups who are trying to help mankind while developing and nurturing their spiritual insights and discernment.

All said - we really don't understand what is going on in and through our world and life but we need to realize that things that seem contrary or impossible should not be dismissed as stupid, wrong, or impossible just because they do not match to what we perceive as norm.

Edited by icubud