Duchovny...

Rate this topic

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___

I must admit that in all the other times I watched the series, I never really noticed how many of the shows where Duchovny was co-creator of the story. A LOT of these particular stories are VERY important to the basic mythology of the show and the unfolding of the episodes in themselves was extremely well done.

Now, I know that a number of you here are not particularly enamoured of the primary mythology of the X-Files, however, even if you don't care for those directions, still, you HAVE to admit the sheer creative talent and thought behind these concepts. And what's more, Chris Carter and David were co-creators together on most of them AND he started this with CC in the 2nd Season!

So, I guess I was somewhat wrong here in my earlier posts where I concluded that Duchovny really didn't have a knack or interest in the more esoteric elements of the show; his coming up with these brilliant ideas definitely proves that wrong! :yes:

Yeah...

What's weird is, David is the opposite of Mulder, and is NOT a believer (though the episodes you referr to show his ability to set that aside to create a wonderful story) and Gillian actually IS a beliver in the paranormal! Kind of a roll reversal for Mulder and Scully, wouldn't you say?

Yeah...

What's weird is, David is the opposite of Mulder, and is NOT a believer (though the episodes you referr to show his ability to set that aside to create a wonderful story) and Gillian actually IS a beliver in the paranormal! Kind of a roll reversal for Mulder and Scully, wouldn't you say?

Yes indeed; that is exactly what I commented on here about a month or so ago how ironic it is that the actors themselves portray opposite characters; I was basing this on how Duchovny's projects seem to be VERY realistic and people oriented as opposed to anything supernatural at all. But, these story lines were excellent that he came up with.

I get the impression that when he fully realizes his true talent as a creative writer, etc. THEN he will allow himself to come up with these really neat 'Out There' stories that we will all love!

It's true Duchovny said he doesn't believe in the existence of ET's, but he also said he loves science-fiction.

Ah, thanks Frank! I didn't know if he even really cared for it; but, with his obvious expertise in coming up with these great stories, I guess it's evident :yes:

I think the reason that he was able to add so much to the stories and mytharcs was precisely because he is not a believer. The supernatural, paranormal, conspiratorial, and prophetic make for great fiction. But, in the real world, they just don't tend to make great explanation for natural phenomena.

In my way of looking at it, if a person is a 'believer' they will tend to be trying in create a fiction of something they believe is a reality. So, they will often be limited by the confines of certain preconceived beliefs and ideas. Whereas, if someone is not a believer, they are trying to create fictitious reality of something they have no need to believe is real. I tend to think, that, for such a person, the sky's the limit in terms of imagination, creativity, and conceiving of fictitious realities, because they have no preconceived notions or beliefs about the nature of such things.

I think the reason that he was able to add so much to the stories and mytharcs was precisely because he is not a believer. The supernatural, paranormal, conspiratorial, and prophetic make for great fiction. But, in the real world, they just don't tend to make great explanation for natural phenomena.

In my way of looking at it, if a person is a 'believer' they will tend to be trying in create a fiction of something they believe is a reality. So, they will often be limited by the confines of certain preconceived beliefs and ideas. Whereas, if someone is not a believer, they are trying to create fictitious reality of something they have no need to believe is real. I tend to think, that, for such a person, the sky's the limit in terms of imagination, creativity, and conceiving of fictitious realities, because they have no preconceived notions or beliefs about the nature of such things.

A good insight; well said...

Guest Frank L.

In a bonus feature on one of the X-Files dvd's, they asked the crew members if they believed in the existence of ET's. Most of them said "no". So there you go. :yes:

A good insight; well said...

Thank you...

In a bonus feature on one of the X-Files dvd's, they asked the crew members if they believed in the existence of ET's. Most of them said "no". So there you go. :yes:

Wow. I had never really heard that, but it does seem to support my earlier statement. I had suspected that most of them were not believers for various reasons - their sense of humour, the books and philosophy that would sometimes be referenced, and other things that I can't remember right off hand. I haven't really spent a lot of time thinking about whether or not the production team members individually were believers or not in para/super/conspir-naturalism. It was just something that would occur to me from time to time. The only 2 people that I ever definitely knew about from the 1013 cast or crew who were not believers were David Duchovny and William B. Davis. I have only every heard Duchovny say that he was a skeptic, and scientifically inclined. William B. Davis, on the other hand, is very forthright that not only is he a skeptic and scientifically inclined, but also an atheist. He says that he does not believe in the paranormal, the supernatural, or alien mythology because there simply is no evidence to support such claims.

It just now occured to me that these 2 (Duchovny and Davis) played to of the most key and important characters to the paranormal/aliens mytharc in The X-Files. How ironic is that?!

Guest Frank L.
It just now occured to me that these 2 (Duchovny and Davis) played to of the most key and important characters to the paranormal/aliens mytharc in The X-Files. How ironic is that?!

Very. :bigsmile: And let's not forget Gillian Anderson. She does believe in aliens/paranormal/supernatural. While as Dana Scully she constantly points out to Mulder that such things do not exist.