Arab op-ed: Pope’s remarks may lead to war

Rate this topic

Guest SouthernCelt

Guest SouthernCelt

ARTICLE

So, who-the-f**k (excuse please) are they going to declare war on? The Vatican? Or on the non-Muslim "West" which I thought they had pretty much done already?

I hate to say it but if something drastic happens because of this, we'll be one step closer to Armageddon 'cause they (the Muslims) will be effectively attacking the whole Christian world. What say ye, Fourth?

Guest Frank L.

I don't want to offend anybody, but why did the pope say this in the first place? Religion is never safe to discuss, especially if you're talking about another religion than your own.

He was trying to make a point that violence is not the way to convert people.

But in light of the Crusades etc. :eyes:

I think many eastern Muslins still feel that any involvement in the middle east by the west is an extension of this hostility.

And now the Pope is involved. God help us all.

Guest Frank L.

Proselytism:

the practice of attempting to convert people to another opinion, usually another religion.

Limits to proselytism:

making unjust or uncharitable references to other churches’ beliefs and practices and even ridiculing them.

Not all muslims are violent murderers. I'm not defending muslims here, but I just don't like these remarks. They're childish. Think before you speak. Say what you mean, mean what you say. Don't talk bollocks.

ARTICLE

So, who-the-f**k (excuse please) are they going to declare war on? The Vatican? Or on the non-Muslim "West" which I thought they had pretty much done already?

I hate to say it but if something drastic happens because of this, we'll be one step closer to Armageddon 'cause they (the Muslims) will be effectively attacking the whole Christian world. What say ye, Fourth?

Wayne...man, you could not have asked for my opinion on any more of a furiously divisive issue...due to its incindiary nature and the very likelihood of igniting contentious debate here at TIWWA, i will only say that it should not be too great a leap of logic to realize you and i share identical opinions on this issue..

I WILL say thanks for posting a "real world" issue instead of continuing to talk about a long dead and largely forgotten television show..because as you may or may not be aware of, recently, we have been critisized as being predictable, pathetic "viewers", our silence on certain topics presented here dooming us to an ever darkening world of "big-brother" paranoia, deserving what we get...

Gosh, and to think that some of us can exist in both worlds, the fantasy that is MillenniuM, and the "real world" where we are striving to make changes, via education of the issues at hand, and more powerfully, by our right to vote...

Wayne...it just keeps getting worse...click on the link..

https://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article...slim/article.do

4th Horseman...

I don't want to offend anybody, but why did the pope say this in the first place? Religion is never safe to discuss, especially if you're talking about another religion than your own.
Frank L - as an FYI, the Pope quoted a remark made in the 14th century by the Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus that derided Islam.

(Posted as informational reference ONLY)

4th Horseman..

Proselytism:

the practice of attempting to convert people to another opinion, usually another religion.

Limits to proselytism:

making unjust or uncharitable references to other churches’ beliefs and practices and even ridiculing them.

Not all muslims are violent murderers. I'm not defending muslims here, but I just don't like these remarks. They're childish. Think before you speak. Say what you mean, mean what you say. Don't talk bollocks.

I'm confused again. I didn't mean offense to Muslims. I was trying to see from their prespective. I'm aware Muslims aren't violent. Only the radical element such as you find in any Religion.

Unless you were refering to the Pope's remarks?

Guest SouthernCelt

Wayne...it just keeps getting worse...click on the link..

https://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article...slim/article.do

4th Horseman...

Yes, I found that myself earlier in the lunch hour. It does indeed keep getting worse. Have you seen all the stories about bombings and the killing of the nun in Somalia?

I noticed that the Muslims in the UK have said they accept the Pope's apology but obviously most of the truly Islamic countries don't, so I wonder where that leaves the UK Muslims in their own religion and culture. Will they be put on the equivalent of an Islamic "hit" list like the Pope and like Rushdie was a number of years ago?