Abyss Ratings for "Pilot" through "Kingdom Come"

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber

What do you think of the Millennial Abyss' Episode Scores?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest ZeusFaber

I agree with those redeeming factors about "Dead Letters", although I think the parts are perhaps greater than the whole. The positive points you identify are reasons why I give this episode a 2 and 1/2 out of 5, but not reasons for any more in my eyes.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I agree with those redeeming factors about "Dead Letters", although I think the parts are perhaps greater than the whole. The positive points you identify are reasons why I give this episode a 2 and 1/2 out of 5, but not reasons for any more in my eyes.

Ughhh, not even a 3 out of 5?? :oneeyedwinK

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Well, Let's see...

'Pilot' should be a 4/5. Its rushed ending and vague plotting prevents it being a true classic.

'Gehenna' should have been 4/5. I don't know why the Abyss thought it so average.

'Dead Letters' has a poor villain but that's not really the point. Agree with 5/5.

'The Judge' is not as good as it could have been. It picks up after the halfway mark though. I agree with 3/5.

'522666' is pretty good in places, awful in others. The bombings have no real power and the villain is a bit hit and miss. The phone conversations in the vans do lift it however. 5/5 is just crazy though. It's more like a low 3/5.

'Kingdom Come' is not nearly as good as some people think. The ending is one of the greatest moments in Millennium but the rest is slow and lacks tensions. Galon is played well but this is still very much a 3/5 (and only that much because of the end).

Millennium had a very good run of opening episodes. Character studies like 'Dead Letters' were instrumental in cementing my enjoyment of the show. At the time I thought 'The Judge' was a bit much with all the dismemberment (coming right on the back of DL as well). But Frank's meeting with Marshall Bell's Judge (vastly superior to the meeting with Hance for example later in the season), and the implication of something more going on than meets the eye, have made it an episode I have returned to many times.

• 3 years later...
Guest Jim McLean

The Judge was a very decent episode and one of the best from the early part of the first season.

I think they're all brilliant, so I guess its in context with each other. Pilot is fantastic, with maybe just the end encounter not quite living up to the tone and feel of the rest of the show. Gehenna has a hard time following that, but thematically, its more interesting with each watch. Dead Letters is very much in the vein of The Pilot and James Morrison brings it alive! The Judge to me defines a lot about what Millennium is about, and Kingdom Come is more of the Pilot vibe - nasty and heartless, but that's note exactly bad.

Incidentally, DiRT reviews the pilot this week:

https://bringbackfrankblack.blogspot.com/2010/01/heres-my-thing-pilot.html