Millennium marketing mayhem!

Rate this topic

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Guest A Stranger
And Frank is good in all the Seasons because Lance Henrikson invests so much in portraying him no matter how awful the script or corny the lines are. He was at the core of the show and was one of the main reasons I kept watching. I still think he is given his best lines in Season One as he turns into an action hero at various points in S2, plus several of the scripts are just too melodramatic (Monster, A single blade of grass).

I didn't know about the whole 'Mulder committed' thing. A good thing they were stopped is all I can say. They only produced one good episode in S4 X-Files anyway (The Field where I died) and even that had some ropey acting at various points. When they were co-executive producers of the X-Files in S1 and the first half of S2, I believe the X-Files experienced its best times. S2 takes a nose dive as soon as they leave and like I said, most UK people starting to give up on the XF by Season Three. The comedy episodes just shouldn't have been in them (or they should at least have been funny) as I could never understand the wild popularity of Darin Morgan. In MLM, 'Jose Chung's Doomsday Defence' is very funny but is very, very similar to the only XF of Darin Morgan's that I like (Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose), that it seems like a rewrite in places. I should probably mention that I don't really like 'Somehow Satan got behind me' at all, it just isn't funny most of the time. 'War of the Coprophages' is one of my contenders for worst XF ever (along with the Post-Modern prometheus) and I really despise 'Jose Chung's from Outer Space' too. That said though, Season Three had 'The Howard Gordon effect', i.e it was much, much darker in the main than the two previous seasons. That would have been great for Millennium (Grotesque could be considered a de facto Millennium episode!), but the X-Files was never that dark and suffered immensly as regular viewers who tuned in for the strange and wonderful, just couldn't handle the harsh intensity that Carter, Spotnitz and Gordon were blitzing them with. It has some truly outstanding moments (Grotesque, Oubliette, Pusher, Piper Maru) but it really signalled the end of the XF's runaway success in the UK.

But anyway, back to millennium...

Thanks.

Abosolutly agreed on Lance's acting.

I didn't say I liked the idea of having Mulder commited but was saying that if the show were to follow Scully as the rational thinker it does seem strange the she would just continue to follow him around for 4 years.

And I don't think I can take your XF criticisms seriously if you didn't like "Joes Chung's..." :laugh_big:

Season Four of XF is probably my favorite. I found it to be the most dramatic and consistent.

Guest A Stranger
Hello again.

Sorry, MDM, I just think we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm in Ireland, so I get BBC and ITV...and i have to say that I'm just not interested in detective dramas; thats not to say i hate them, they just never, you know, moved me. You are obviously very interested in them (I get the Sherlock Holmes reference in your username). So what's to do? [shrugs shoulders]

We also seem to disagree very deeply on the X-files too. Personally, I think Howard Gordon was responsible for all the 'filler' episodes. I always thought of him as a bit of a journeyman. Also (this is probably blasphemous), I think that Chris Carter, yes, Chris Carter, was responsible for all of the worst (ever!) XF episodes:

Space, Fire (complete with smug [un]witty hollywood brit), Fight Club...

On second thought, he wrote some of the best aswell...

But, after all that, I agree with what you're saying about 'finding an audience'(it needs one to survive)...but then again I think that keeping that audience would (at least for MM) involve a certain amount of compromise.(SevenandOne was a very uncompromising episode, which is a good thing, I feel.)

I should probably qualify everything by saying that, generally, I'm not much of a TV fan...which probably goes some way in explaining my cynicism.

eh, that's all, I think,

PMO

Yeah, Horward Gordan wrote some decent ones and one great one (Grotesque) but he was a filler writer.

Guest amnesic

Abosolutly agreed on Lance's acting.

I didn't say I liked the idea of having Mulder commited but was saying that if the show were to follow Scully as the rational thinker it does seem strange the she would just continue to follow him around for 4 years.

And I don't think I can take your XF criticisms seriously if you didn't like "Joes Chung's..." :laugh_big:

Season Four of XF is probably my favorite. I found it to be the most dramatic and consistent.

How come Mulder seemed to know all these bizarre facts about physics, but when it came to basic theories of psychology (and he was a psychologist) he seemed to be completely amnesic to it. XFs and FOX have a lot to answer for in peddling pseudo-science to the general public!

I like the mystery too but I think that CC began to rely on it way too much. A big complaint about TXF as it began to go on is that it was at times nothing more than a set piece, smoke and mirrors, and some cryptic dialgoue and there you go, a story. Now, I'm not saying that this is what happened in MM but the same devices are there.

And yeah, M&W haven't done much of anything worth while that they created on thier own in general.

........hard to argue with that logic because i know it to be true,but i think the writers of S1 were still very adept at keeping one on his/her toes.

~se7en :ouro:

How come Mulder  seemed to know all these bizarre facts about physics, but when it came to basic theories of psychology (and he was a psychologist) he seemed to be completely amnesic to it. XFs and FOX have a lot to answer for in peddling pseudo-science to the general public!

Mulder was a party animal in college. THey didn't call him Spooky for nothing (and you thought it was something to deal with the x-Files).

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

Guest A Stranger

How come Mulder seemed to know all these bizarre facts about physics, but when it came to basic theories of psychology (and he was a psychologist) he seemed to be completely amnesic to it. XFs and FOX have a lot to answer for in peddling pseudo-science to the general public!

If I remember correctly Mulder graduated Oxford with a degeree in PSYCHOLOGY! That guy has enough psychological quirks to fill that secret Pentagon alien warehouase!

Guest amnesic

Mulder was a party animal in college. THey didn't call him Spooky for nothing (and you thought it was something to deal with the x-Files).

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

oxford must be so pleased to have hime as one of their distinguished alumni!