Truth is stranger -

Rate this topic

Guest kath

:ouro: Ok, Its not going to be on the news any time soon, but...

(sigh)

Its about my co worker. (true story)

Anita's dad was killed about 20 yrs ago. No one knows who did it and 20 yrs ago there wasn't much CSI to find out who did what. People died, people were killed and life goes on. Bets were it was a rivil who wanted him out of the way.

Last year Anita (who is in the process of divorcing her second husband) starts to date a guy who was into numbers, and running a bike shop. Love conqures all and he had made the decision to go straight and quit the on the side numbers deal and he told her as much. she was to go to see him one night except it was snowing, and she couldn't go and she called him and he was cool with it, and the next day, he doesn't answer his phone. nor does he answer it for the next two days, and she doesn't have a key to get in, so she goes to his buddys at the bar and says, Hey have you heard from him and they say no, and they go and find out that he is dead and his head is gone.

Now, first they say he did it himself, and then the FBI shows up on her doorstep and want to know what her relationship was with him and where was she, and she tells them and they say ok, but she realizes she is being followed for about three weeks so she goes to the friends of this guy, (one of them who knew her father and was friends with him) and she tells him they are following her and Mr Tom tells her that he will take care of it, and the people who were following her just- go away. Mr Tom tells her that she could come work for him, that her father would have wanted it, and she does, and after a while she and Mr Tom start dating. It was a summer/ winter relationship, he had known her father and after her father had died Mr Tom took over her fathers operation. If her father had lived, he would be running everything, not Mr Tom.

I had a chance to meet him one day last summer, and it was like looking into the face of a king cobra ready to strike- there was a - preditor look to him- and I let her know that he was a very dangerous man. (It was then I learned that her father had erm - connections-)

Well, the relationship went on for several months, and she calls work and says that there was an accident, and that he was involved. She couldn't figure out why the other guy was driving - because Mr Tom did all his own driving, but he was in the passanger seat and didn't have on the seat belt, and the driver was a doa, Mr Tom lived for about a week before he died, and the FBI shows up again asking questions.

The town I live in is very small. Everyone knows every one elses family, where they work, what the kids are doing, - what your having for dinner-

The town is ethnic, and reminds you of mayberry rfd. ( I know some people may be offended by it, please don't be! its the perfect example of the tight knit neighborhoods of yesterday.

A town so small to hid something as large as organized crime.

places where players are welcome, and treated right.

In a way, I should be scared. I know too much, and too many people.

I just keep nodding and smiling ...

Kath :ouro:

When I bought the house that I live in now, it was after searching for 3 years to find something that I could afford and that was close to work. Small town politics weren't on my mind, I just wanted something that wouldn't leak in the first 30 years.

When I was young, the town that I lived and grew up in had five founding familys and you had to be related to them to run one of the shops in the town, and it was with one of the founding family nods to say if your business thrived, or went the way of many others- Everyone knew eachother. Growing up, I learned where the one brother had got off the shortline rail and waited in a small garage until the rain stopped, and didn't make it home. They found him the next day when the others were waiting for the rail to come pick them up and take them into town. He was quite dead, hung by the neck with some cloths line. His younger brother took over the busness after that. Years later the small town would have 37 unsolved murders that happened over 3 months. The first one being a young war vet who was paralized. He and his wife were butchered and found two days later by her family when they couldn't get in touch with them. The local police said it was drug related- he had *stuff* all around the house- hard drugs- suringes, etc. They wrote it off that he was a dealer, and that he deserved it. The family struggled to maintain that every bit found in the house was given to him by a dr, and that nothing was missing, according to the pharmacy, everything was as it should be. The police shrugged and said maybe he was starting to be a dealer, and they closed the case- only to have another family who lived 100 yards away be discovered two days later in the same conditon-.

and then another four days later and then another- all with in a three mile area. There were no signs of a robbery, the closest things the cops could discover was that the person doing this had tied the doors and the screens closed together with a slip knot and the more the people struggled to get out the tighter it got. (the person entered by a ground floor window.)

A young lady coming home from college found her mother bleeding on the front lawn, the woman was alive and told her daughter to get away- the daughter was able to get her mother in the car and to the hospital and called the police who found her father dead- the same MO. some how the mother was able to find the window and get out after he had left her for dead.

The killings stopped, up here for two months. - Months later it would filter back to us that there was someone arrested and charged for the same type of murders in florida, that they had taken the same route, and would stop in the same area, park the car, murder, then get back on the road.

other murders would haunt my birth town. The first being of a man, whos brother in law told the police that he had killed him to protect his sister from her husband beating her. The police patted themselves on the back for the easy solving of the case, never asking the time or how he did it. later, it was learned that the wife had killed the husband - she said it was self defense- ... but....

Years later her eldest son *missed* the school bus (well he had actually been expelled from riding it because he knifed a classmate for looking at him the wrong way on the bus) he hitchhiked to school. He was picked up by a lady who knew his mother. When the husband came home from work he found her tied to the bed, raped and strangled. Another neighbor had said that he had seen her pick him up, and his locker at school was searched. With the evidence of her hair found INSIDE his boots he was convicted of rape and murder and senticed to life.

Two years later her younger son would be arrested for a felony murder of an elderly woman- he admitted to mugging her, he didn't mean for her to die when she hit the pavement. We would have our arsonist as well, 18 unexplained fires over two months, the person was caught while setting a fire across the street from where the police sat having his midnight break. Her appartment had been the first fire that she had set right before christmas. ( I knew this girl, she always HAD been a bit wiggy even in highschool)

while my parents had owned a home and raised two generations in the house for the last 55 years, we were only just getting to be accepted when the population explosion hit (farmers who sold out to housing plans brought thousands upon thousands of new people in, and the old ways fell by the wayside. )

The house that I live in, everyone knows me, (I have not a clue who they are btw) all the work that I did about the house, and the back yard was discussed every morning at the coffee shop and people would come into where I work and just - look at me - to see who I was that everyone was talking about. Things about here havent changed in the last 20 years- the property tax hasn't been raised, the board of supervisors is still the same, crime is non existant in the practical sense- (well we did have one car come through the neighborhood with a getto blaster and instead of everyone hiding behind their doors, the porch lights came on, and everyone opened the doors to see who was there and the people fled.

The neighborhood is filled with window peepers. My neighbor is a driveway peeper. he has a chair thats on a dolly and he sits in it all day reading, and he can move it to anywhere and see whats going on. In the colder weather he sits at the living room bay window and watches..

I dunno. I think yeah, this would be the makings of a very good book- maybe even more scary than stephen king?

What do ya all think?

kath

Guest icubud

Sounds to me like a script for a movie. :tasty:

Or maybe a mini-series :gaba:

What is the name of this town? State?

I'd like to see what can be found from the "outside" about it.

Great research topic :grin2:

Guest A Stranger

I would just like say this sounds fake. I just want to be the who guessed it as an elobrate joke. If it's not, it's a good story told very well.

Its all true. Every single word of it has happened.

I did a search for my hometown on the web, and a couple of hits came up, but they weren't archived information. Most of it was for the town in another country in which it was named after.

I know the best resource would be the local library, mircofishe stuff, if they still have the reels. They are currently renovating that library, so I may have to go to another older one. there just isn't the space to keep old papers - not from that length of time.

I was able to access the local librarys web site, but there just isn't a news archive section.

However...

I was able to look up the list of trustees, and I recognize two of the names, one of them is my neighbor/ councleman...

Which makes research a bit sticky.

very very sticky.

Kath

ok, I managed to sneak a photo of my neighbor with my digital camera ( hid behind the blinds & shot it through my bedroom window ) and get it into a web folder. you can find it at the neighbor

I will continue to do web searches for the rest of the information...

Kath

I found out why there has been a problem with finding the stories- At one time we had one newspaper. but in 1977, the one major paper changed its name and so there are only records from 1977 to the present. While some of this happened pre '77, some of it was later and its a matter of sifting through all of the records that are not case sensitive. you can look under Murder, but unless you know of a specific date, its not there. It won't sort through by names.

Unfortunatly the paper that DID take over the major paper was a step up from the national enq. Its cleaned up its act, and I am trying to remember if there was another more local paper that would have handled it. - You have to understand the place where I grew up was a Hamlet- not big enough for a town, or a city, and largely overlooked. I will keep looking though-

um, did I mention the missle silo by the police horses stable in the park? (that discovery was a bit more receint- and there is a place that I past going to work that until I went to england I had not a clue what it was- and now I am suspecting that it was used as a landing strip for the military during the cold war- (why would you have a quansit hut and a building thats built into the hillside?)

This is really really creaping me out too..

Kath

Guest icubud

I have a lot of research tools - besides the internet - what is the name of the place you live at and I can fwd to you info electronically? :smokin: