First X-Files Experience

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

I wanted to post my memories of my first X-Files episodes in the X-Files Help topic... but the thread has had enough off-topic discussions that I thought I would make this one myself.

So, I have distant memories of watching The X-Files each friday at nine on a French network here. As far as I know it was the original airtime of The X-Files. So I unknowingly watched The X-Files at the very same time as millions of people... only I was a season late and in the wrong language.

Anyway, I remember being scared to death by quite a few episodes and strangely the ones I remember are usually quite forgettable episode. The ones I remember that made me go hide behind my couch (I know it's a bizarre habit but remember I was quite young) were:

The Calusari

The Walk (God... I was frightened to go alone in a pool for almost 5 years after this one! The idea of an invisible monster, or spirit, in the water with me still bring shivers down my spine.)

Teso Dos Bichos (The rat in the toilet scene crossed my mind more than just a few times while I was on a toilet)

The Host (At least this one is really a memorable episode and just added to my fear of the toilet! hahaha)

Now it's your turn. What do you remember of you're first X-Files experience? Or since most members are a bit older than me.. Who here was a fan from the very beginning (10 September 1993)?

in 1993 i was living in Albuqurque,NM. I believe i was channel surfing when i dicovered the series. I think it was The Host, but for some reason i didnt have alot of intrest in the series until 95' when i moved back home to St.Louis.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

For the first showing of the first season, I kept running across the beginning of the show with the "doo doo doo doo doo doo" music, and I would just flip to something else or continue channel surfing. For some reason, I thought the show was some kind of informative science show like Nova or something. When they started the reruns of season one (and I know I have told this story before, but I would still like to contribute to the thread), I missed the Pilot again. Then, by accident, the following week I was channel surfing and stopped when I ran across a gripping scene of a SWAT team (or whoever they were) breaking into a home. As it turned out, this was one of the early scenes of "Deep Throat", and the rest is history.

I really really loved those early years, because, at the time, there were very few people on the band wagon, and X-files felt like something of my own, to share with a select few fans. Of course, as we all know, it developed into one of the most popular shows in the history of TV. As for my first experience, "Deep Throat", right off the bat I could sense that it was going to be something great, and really looked forward to seeing what else they would come up with. The shows subject matter was right up my ally, as I have always been fascinated with UFOs and other phenomena, like bigfoot, Nessy, etc., as well as psychic and other phenomena. In addition to the subject matter, Chris Carter did a brilliant job of writing and telling the stories. Then, of course, there was the long line of fascinating characters he created. First, and foremost, there was Mulder. Again, this is coming from a heterosexual point of view (no comments Joe), but with his looks, wit, and charm, he was probably the most charismatic leading character to come to TV in years, if not ever IMHO. It was like he was made for the role. Then, they presented us with the beautiful, ultra smart, intriguing and sexy Scully, who complimented Mulder perfectly. Add in all of the other wonderful characters that CC created, such as Cancer Man, Skinner and, of course, the Lone Gunmen, among others, and the result was a level of excitement that I don't remember feeling about a show previous to X-files. Of course, I got a similar feeling of excitement a few years later with Millennium, but not sense.

Who here was a fan from the very beginning (10 September 1993)?

Yep... here I am! 1993 was quite a year for me. I was recovering from a SERIOUS car wreck in November of 1992. I'd Tried to go back to college, after my shattered leg, and other broken bones had healed, and I'd basically re-learned to walk, talk, read and write. (going back to college that soon was a BIG mistake) After soon realizing that my limitations were lifelong, and that it was time to re-think my entire life, I sat down to watch the very first X Files. WOW!!!! Could something that groundbreaking really have made it onto tv??? I'd heard that the inspiration came from actuall FBI files on unexplained phenominon. After a lifetime (I was 19) of seeing how close-minded the rest of the population was, I didn't think this show would last long. It was too creative, to ground breaking. Who would have thought it would have lasted 10 years, and had such an influence on the planet. Both in the entertainment industry, and in so many other "down to earth" aspects of life.... :alien2:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
in 1993 i was living in Albuqurque,NM. I believe i was channel surfing when i dicovered the series. I think it was The Host, but for some reason i didnt have alot of intrest in the series until 95' when i moved back home to St.Louis.

Wow, living in New Mexico and no interest in UFOs?? Did you ever get over to check out Roswell? :oneeyedwinK

Its funny you asked. I have been to Roswell at least twice. i have never seen a UFO while i was there. I have thought i have seen a Chupacabra, and i am being for real. Very strange animal from the dsitance. Something i do remember where hearing alot of sonic booms

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Its funny you asked. I have been to Roswell at least twice. i have never seen a UFO while i was there. I have thought i have seen a Chupacabra, and i am being for real. Very strange animal from the dsitance. Something i do remember where hearing alot of sonic booms

That would be cool to see something like El Chupacabra. I haven't ever seen anything good like that.

Guest SouthernCelt

I was with the series from the very first. I got hooked on the Fox advertising of the debut of the show in the next season and was there when it started. Didn't get to see every ep in first run because of conflicts but managed to catch most of them either in end-of-season reruns or in syndication showing.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
WOW! That's pretty cool, Joe!

No Chupacabra for me, but I did see a UFO when I was little. But, it wasn't an Unidentified FLYING object so much as a HOVERING one! LOL :alien2:

Wow, how come I never see anything good? :down: