Did Frank really go "too far" in killing the Polaroid Stalker?

Rate this topic

Guest massofspikes

Gunslinger...

You write superbly well my friend and my spelling is only as good as my spellchecker. I often look at posts, especially those by Laredo, and wonder if my education was up to much lol.

We are due snow in the next few days and I for one am giddy at the prospect, the eternal infant in me and all that.

I extend my best wishes to you again.

4th I was reading you post with much interest and wondered if you could clear a translation problem up for me. Would I be right in believing the word 'John' to refer to the *ahem* Lady of the Night's *ahem* customer? It's not a term I've heard used before in Blighty so want to make sure I have the context right. I think the common parlance here is punter though I bet there's a fair few colloquial variations.

Best wishes to all,

Keep warm

Eth

Guest Heath328
Speaking of Catherine (now I'm spelling it correctly) and Frank's marriage and these very issues, I think it would have been a fascinating conceit for an episode to go back in time and, in some sort of flashback form, explore their meeting, their courtship, and eventually their union. (Would s3 be a good time for this, or would it have been too much coupled with "Sound of Snow"?) I mean, just how much did Catherine know about Frank's life, his job, his mission back in those days? Granted, Frank had yet to be placed center-stage as a leading character in The Battle Between Good and Evil ™, but why was she okay with things then? (Of course, a lot of partners in a marriage are "okay" with some shortcoming involving the other partner, at least initially, because s/he's in love with him/her; eventually, though, whatever the problem is can become wearisome.) I've also always been very curious about Catherine and Frank's apparent dismissal of the vast age difference between the two as a hinderance. Did Frank ever surreptitiously use his "gift" to gain an edge over other suitors when it came to knowing what Catherine wanted, perhaps? The episode could even feature a Terminator-like angle in which some form of evil spirit (unrecognized as such by even Frank at this time) tries to either sabotage the marriage (which provides this future warrior of light stability and strength) or prohibit the birth of Jordan (Frank called her a "miracle child," after all), which would provide even further evidence that, one day, Jordan will be faced with the choice of maybe taking daddy's place in The Fight.

It would have been interesting to get that insight about Frank and Catherine's courtship!

About the gift, though: I always got the impression that Frank's "gift" wasn't the kind of thing he really wanted. In Season 1, he described it in terms of "becoming capability." It was just basic profiling. You look at people and how they act and then draw conclusions about future behavior from it.

(My wife says I'm good at reading people very quickly. It's more or less just using my imagination based on how people act and how they see themselves. As a writer, I study people and think about how they would act in different scenarios.)

Frank would have been good, I think, at learning about Catherine and want she wanted because he's a good listener and he genuinely cares about people.

From Season 2, Frank's "gift" had a supernatural component that often made it, from Frank's perspective, a curse. He couldn't turn it on and off to do his bidding -- the visions came when he saw evil at work.

That's why Catherine was so adamant about not wanting Jordan to have her father's visions. It tended to tug at the seams of Frank's sanity, even though he is a stable and secure man.

Guest Heath328

As to the original post, I don't think Frank went too far. Given the Polaroid Stalker's intelligence and capability, he would return to attack the Blacks again.

We don't really know if Frank went in to rescue Catherine with the idea that he was going to kill the Stalker. It would have made Catherine's reaction more understandable if Frank had alluded in some way to the fact that he decided to execute the Stalker. It's murky because the showdown has Frank acting in self-defense.

Edited by Heath328

LOL, good post 4th. I completely agree with you, there are some weird people in the day, even weirder on the evening shift, but if you really, really, really, want to be around when the freaks come out at night, graveyard shift is the place to be. Consistenly, graveyard shift officer and dispatchers have the craziest, whacked out, weird stories hands down that other shifts put together. By the way, reference you coming into NWA, I just spoke with my wife, I think the dates are a week after you will be in town, but we are scheduled to be in Hot Springs, AR sometime in March for vacation. My wife's sister who is from Kingman, AZ is coming into town, they have not seen each other in about 3 years, either way, I will drive back up here to Fayetteville if I have to to meet you so either way, we will have at least an evening BBQ while you are in town. The forces of evil cannot be working against us this badly....I will let you know as soon as I find out for sure, told Gina to call her sister when she gets off work to confirm dates. Gunslinger.
Slinger...i DO work graveyard...10p-6A and as i stated before have story after story...days are just to damned boring..LOL

4th Horseman

My wife says I'm good at reading people very quickly. It's more or less just using my imagination based on how people act and how they see themselves. As a writer, I study people and think about how they would act in different scenarios.)

Frank would have been good, I think, at learning about Catherine and want she wanted because he's a good listener and he genuinely cares about people.

Hi Heath,

I enjoyed you thoughts very much but had my interest piqued by your mention of being a writer and wondered if you would enjoy contributing to Millennium Virtual Season 6?

At the moment it is one frantic brainstorm but an ejoyable one at that but if you feel you would enjoy exploring Millennium in a literary sense then please don't hesitate to PM Highplainsdrifter or Ravenwolf and ask for the password to the forum. Of course there's no obligation simply jump in and see if there's anything in the mix that inspires you.

Just one for your consideration.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Heath328
Hi Heath,

I enjoyed you thoughts very much but had my interest piqued by your mention of being a writer and wondered if you would enjoy contributing to Millennium Virtual Season 6?

At the moment it is one frantic brainstorm but an ejoyable one at that but if you feel you would enjoy exploring Millennium in a literary sense then please don't hesitate to PM Highplainsdrifter or Ravenwolf and ask for the password to the forum. Of course there's no obligation simply jump in and see if there's anything in the mix that inspires you.

Just one for your consideration.

Best wishes,

Eth

Thank you, I am honored to be invited!

I'm afraid, however, that it might be a while before I can take on another project. I'm immersed in graduate studies at the moment. If I find I can contribute somewhere down the line, I would love to participate.

Thanks again!

• 8 months later...
Guest The Robin

Ok, my take on the situation:

I think Cathrine was being a bit selfish and self-centered in her decision to separate from Frank. What about his take on the situation? What about his feelings after killing the guy? After all, he did kill the stalker coming to her aid when no one else would.

Frank needed somebody to talk to after something bad happened during an investigation. Notice in Part 1 of S2's finale, Frank called Lara Means when he needed someone to talk to, but he couldn't find her. I think if he would have had Cathrine there to comfort him and be there for him, they both would have been better off and Jordan would have too, because in that same episode she was having those bad dreams, I think, because Frank wasn't there.

Cathrine should have been more understanding of Frank and his career. She should have known beforehand what his joining of the Group was all about and the measures that he would take to ensure his family's safety because of him being in the Group.

Hi Robin,

First time I have had a chance to exchange banter with you on the board.

Frank needed somebody to talk to after something bad happened during an investigation. Notice in Part 1 of S2's finale, Frank called Lara Means when he needed someone to talk to, but he couldn't find her.

Not strictly true methinks. Frank was aware of the growing threat of the Marburg Virus and called Lara as he was concerned for her wellbeing. Rather than needing her he believed she was in need of him.

Cathrine should have been more understanding of Frank and his career. She should have known beforehand what his joining of the Group was all about and the measures that he would take to ensure his family's safety because of him being in the Group.

Which is fine and dandy had Catherine been given the opportunity to be cognisant of what Frank's membership of the Millennium Group would mean for him and his family. A large portion of the narrative during the first and second seasons was devoted to Frank's mandate to shield his wife and family from the apparent horrors he faced. Catherine could not have been more understanding of the implications his Group membership would have on their family life as she was never given the chance.

This does not mean that Catherine's parting from Frank is not beset with counter considerations merely that it is not as one sided as many presume.

Feel free to add your thoughts :)

Eth