Exact Quality of MillenniuM

Rate this topic

Guest massofspikes

Gosh don't leave now lol,

I fear I may be forced to plunge into the non-Millennium discussions as a result of this :helpme:

Actually a few factors that we have belabored upon here would make appropriate precursors to debate in the recent 'Polaroid Man' topic that was so enjoyable. I believe 'Danielle Barbakow' and the 'Legion' mytharc were touched upon by myself and others. I'm only waiting whilst a few members have time to complete their reassessments of the relevant episodes and hopefully the 'flak session' will begin again.

I hope we will get the chance to expand upon our points there soon.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Jim McLean

I think I can only part agree. While I don't think the Legion mytharc was given great attention, I'd say Siren was very much in this mytharc, be her directly a manifestation of Legion or not, there was a direct test and message to Frank. I'd say "Curse of Frank Black" again, is distinctly Mytharc, not just in intent, but visual signature. The tests of Frank Black in season two are more blatant, but there is no doubt their source is distinctive and their representation more than ambiguous. The only angle I'd add to the debate is that M&W extended the gestalt notion of Evil to being less kindred; that the manifestations of Legion were not uniform but maybe more like an army, subject more to individual identity or even, drafted into the "cause". IMO.

Thank God you're back lol.

Whilst I have noted that I believe that M&W shed the Legion arc in order that they could play in a much larger mythological universe I do concur that they continued the arc of sorts...

I would probably agree with much of what you wrote, not solely on your ruminations regarding which functionaries composed the Legion entity but also in your analysis of M&W's treatment of it. Without wanting to bore with my discombobulate views I feel that M&W removed the overt trappings of the 'Legion' conglomerate from the arc, made the avatars more dialogical and created characters that by their demeanor and give-and-take made a pointed move towards depicting the metaphysical as less organic whilst possessing more individualistic traits that were behavioral, temperamental, emotional, and mental.

In my addled opinion there were numerous markers during the episodic depictions of the characters noted earlier

that reinforced the notion that they were supernatural husks, shells of something that lacked the arguable bones and blood of previous Legion incarnations. In essence there was a bold move to depict each avatar as decidedly unbodied and loftier than the limited Biblical account of Legion would allow. Barabakow was noted as being an old soul who could elicit no maternal response from her mother, Crocell was blatantly represented as inhuman: an entity that all but announced its incorporeal state, Tamara Shui Fa Lee was to note that the despite seeming to communicate coherently she was in fact displaying something akin to xenoglossia and so on.

Whilst imbuing there characters with greater nods of otherworldliness they also adorned them with a more expansive glossary of metaphysical thought. Tamara was conceived from accounts of Shinto mythology, Crocell was lifted from "The Lesser Key of Solomon" and therefore represented Goetic theory, Barbakow was described in terms borrowed from Wicca/Neo-Paganism and thereby stated the arc was not being confined to Western, Judeo-Christian mythology nor was it going to be true that a vast majority of Legion avatars would hereby be depicted as the archetypal mature -able-bodied-white-male.

Changes such as these rightly ask of the enquiring mind if the arc continued in earnest or whether M&W simply shed its trappings in order to raid a larger store cupboard of reference points and whilst much of the machismo and Hannibal-Lecter depictions were no longer served us I believe, as you do, that there was still much to find in support of a continued exploration of the first season's arcs.

I'm actually in the process of collecting a few pictures in order that I can start a new topic that will bring all of this to a tidy resting place and hope, nay beg, that you will join me in it to further this discussion?

Best wishes

Eth