She Is Benediction.

Rate this topic

ethsnafu

Greetings amassed cognoscente,

Firstly my sincere apologies for a laborious trawl through Eth's-finest-fetishes but this comes with intent and is not simply a way for me to direct attention in favour of a subject that gives me the fuzzies.

I am currently researching 'Lara Means' in order to write an essay for Graham's consideration and whilst I may be the unquestioned bastion and rampart of all things 'Lara' I am hoping those much wiser than me can add their thoughts to my quandary.

In 'Anamnesis' it is presented by Ben Fisher that her angelic entity has deserted her in 'fear of a higher power' and though she is aware of this she mentally scrambles in a moment of immediacy and clutches at the presence of the Magdalene as being the reason. I would be grateful for all or any interpretations of what is going on here. There is no hint of agreement from Fisher who glibly relishes her seeming lack of certainty and no reason to think he has a more authentic appraisal of Lara's situation than her own but given that Anamnesis cheekily uses the Magdalene as an obvious cover for a mythology 'a fortiori' it ranks amongst the countless moments of addling in an episode that clearly is a potboiler that is difficult to penetrate.

If anyone could offer any thought no matter how small I would be greatly appreciative and I threaten you all that if no one rises to the challenge my own slaphappy analysis could appear on a web site shortly.

Worrying isn't it?

Best wishes to all as always,

Eth

profile_image.jpg

This episode has so many angles to it that I've yet to be able to cut through all the layers. There is so much about it that does not make sense to me, and I fear that may be from my own ignorance on certain subjects. My mother pointed out many things that I did not realize when I first saw this. But, for this scene, I have to say I am at a loss too, my friend.

Thanks for taking the time to reply angel (no pun intended.) :angel2:

The only conclusion I can reach for the enigmatic statement rests on my assertion that the writers used the Gnostic legend of 'Ennoia' as their prime matter. I have identified at least three lines of important dialogue used in the episode that appear to have been directly lifted from an account of Simon Magus' life and his belief in the Ennoia principle. After studying the document again I noticed that the legend states that the Ennoia was responsible for the generation of the angels and archangels and after being passed from body to body as the lost sheep she would one day return to judge them for their iniquities.

If I'm right, and I'm not even sure I am, it could be this element of the legend that inspired the narrative decision to have Lara's angel abandon her in fear of the power of Clare Mackenna's incarnation.

Either way, as you say, it is an inscrutable episode and I would dearly love to have the chance to pin the writers down and ask if any of my ruminations match their original intentions.

Slightly off topic but still interesting. I found a small snippet of an interview during my research in which Genele talks about her role as Clare McKenna and there's a couple of lovely backstage shots to boot. Just adding here for anyone's interest...

Q: How did you get the role at Millennium?

A: I auditioned for the role in Millennium when I was 16 years old. The episode had originally called for the casting of 7 girls, who are all apart of this cult-like group which is headed by one girl: Clare McKenna. I figured I would have a fairly good chance at getting one of the roles since there were 7 to be filled. My agent set up the audition and I was to audition for the part of Maureen (the role went to Kimberly Warnat). Well, the whole day was a disaster from the start because I was late for the audition! I thought for sure that my unprofessionally and tardiness would cost me any chance at getting a part and my spirits were low by the time I arrived. Fortunately luck was on my side and the auditions were running late as well. I went in and read the scene required, which was the scene in the library where Maureen describes the first time Clare sees the vision of the Virgin Mary in church.

After I was finished the director, John P. Kousakis asked me to stay behind for a moment. They asked me if I wouldn't mind reading for the part of Clare, the lead role in the episode. Of course I told them yes! I had 10 minutes to look over the lines of the scenes I would have to read. It made me nervous because I was worried I would not remember my lines, even though it is a cold read and no one expects you to memorize your lines for a cold read. After I was finished the second audition, I felt more confident about how well I did, but I was still reluctant to get my hopes up. I had not worked in about 3 years and was very used to not getting roles, even when I thought I had done well in the auditions. However, later that after noon when I was back at home, I received a telephone call from my agent. She said, "I have good news!" I said, "I got one of the parts?" And she replied, "No Genele, you got THE part!" She of course meant that I got the role of Clare, the lead. I was so excited that I was jumping around the kitchen and laughing! Unfortunately I was all alone in the house and had no one to tell the good news to. So I called up all my friends and my grandmother and I believe I called my dad at work as well. So there you have it. That's the whole story of how I got the part.

Q:How was working with Chris Carter?

A: Actually, I did not really work -with- Chris Carter. Of course he is the creator and was involved, but for the most part it was the crew and actors and director that I truly remember most. John P. Kousakis is a wonderful director. He is firm, but kind and was extremely helpful in fine-tuning my acting skills for this role. He had the amazing ability to bring out the best in me. He would just come up to me and whisper something in my ear about what he wanted me to do, and then I would just do it naturally. I tried very hard to make a good impression and do well because I really wanted his approval.

post-1185-1203521790_thumb.jpg

post-1185-1203521809_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that interview, Ethie!!!

This was truly one of the finest of creations for Millennium. I cannot imagine with all of the other hogwash we see on the "tube" these days, that someone crafted this with such care. It's almost like picking apart an ancient mystery each time you take a hard look at one episode!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gang,

I am just putting the finishing touches to my Lara piece and would desperately like to include a quote from Kristen with regards to her character. I only have one solitary interview in which Morgan, Wong and Cloke briefly touch upon the character and wondered if anyone could point me in the way of anything more substantial?

I would be really appreciative.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Laurent.

I found this interview: kristencloke.com interview

There's nothing particularly interesting in this one.. but I still learned something:

Question: Now that you've formed 1213 Productions with Glen, will we see you acting, writing, producing, or directing?

Answer: 1213 is mostly Glen’s but you never know.

1213??? What's up with that? Clearly a reference to 1013 if you ask me...

Guest SouthernCelt
Thanks Laran :clapping:

1213 eh? As they say..."Imitation Is The Best Form Of Flattery".

I always heard it as "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

How dare you lol....

Actually I adore language discussions so many thanks for an excuse:)

Though first coined by Charles Caleb Colton there are numerous forms of this phrase in existence each modified with influences from coloquism, linguistic modernism, adaptionism and cultural norms. All are valid as language is valid and adages endure precisely because they modify and modernise. Though it would be endearing for all us all to pepper our vernacular with 'hath' and 'thee' and so forth "Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis" my friend.

Best wishes Celt,

Eth