Fiat Lux

Rate this topic

Greetings Group Candidates, Initiates, Elders and our most respected 'Old Man'!

Fresh from yet another initiatory 'blood letting' I come hot-foot with the following:.

I haven't perused the blogs to any great degree in the past but devoid of 'Millennium Group' duties I had a mosey through the profundity and was astonished to find the following post by Maxx. For those who don't recall him he was an eccentric wonder who thought beyond the bubble and proffered some startling and heterodox musings and to be fair was quite capable of niggling the less explorative thinkers around these parts. Be that as it may, I remember him fondly for inspiring some of the most acroamatic confabs this board has ever hosted. I happened upon his dormant blog and to be honest I was amazed. The following are his own thoughts and Jove knows why he never shared them with the masses and I pray that should he frequent these parts he will forgive me for doing so but I drank every word in and went away and thrust numerous episodes into my DVD player.

As Skinner said "...he was a member that left no paper trail..." so I know not what became of him but be you Owl or Rooster surely you must have some thoughts on this most majestic musing?

This Is Who Are

*Creepy Elder Eth*

This is nuts, but it seems to work. I'm writing this here and now so that it doesn't slip my mind.

Last night while watching Lamentations something occurred to me regarding the Marburg PrP Variant outbreak. Frank has been write all along that the virus was released to kill Catherine.

The Marburg PrP Variant Virus was created by the Soviets during the cold war. During the fall of the Soviet Union there was a leak that released the virus into the environment where birds picked it up and transported it around the world. The question is, how did it leak. Just like the Chernobyl incident. Yiponchek was responsible.

When the viral outbreak occurs in The Fourth Horseman it's revealed that the Millennium Group has a vaccine against it, but only enough for Group members and not their families.

Frank begins to see that the Millennium Group is responsible and he's not entirely wrong about that. In Innocents we learn that the remote viewers were keeping tabs on the Millennium Group and that they released the virus, not to kill Catherine but to kill them. And they're not entirely wrong about that also.

In Antipas Lucy reveals that she wants for her and Frank to be together. This is only possible now that Catherine is out of the way.

If proponents of the theory that Yiponchek is one of the identities of Legion and we know Lucy is, and we suspect that Mabius is or even if Legion is the AntiChrist and Legion serves him, then there is a potential link here. It is conceivalble, yet the stuff of conpiracy theories, that Legion operates with a collective mind. Lucy seems to be the primary head of this many headed hydra, so what Lucy wants, Lucy gets.

• Yiponchek releases the Marburg PrP Variant Virus. Pestilence is let loose.

• Mabius has the Millennium Group create a vaccine.

• 1996 - Polaroid Man was a former Group member who likely went bonkers after being intitiated. He may have attempted to kill himself, died and was brought back to life with Legion in him. The Polaroid Man photographs Jordan and Catherine to terrorize Frank.

• 1996 - The Judge approaches Frank enticing him with a pure justice to join him and appeals to Frank with promises of safety for this family.

• 1997 - Lucy Butler invades the Yellow House and attempts to kill Catherine, is foiled by the intervention of Bletcher. Bletcher is murdered as revenge for interfering. This will be used to further terrorize Frank.

• 1997 - Al Pepper offers Frank a job with him and offers protection for his family. Frank rejects this.

Lucy directs it against Catherine.

• 1997 - Polaroid Man uses a serial killer to attract Frank's attention and then takes matters into his own hands to kidnap Catherine. The original intent is to lure Frank in and either bring him onside or prepare him for Lucy. Legion succeeds in driving a wedge between Catheriine and Frank and they separate.

• 1998 - Legion acting through Odessa tries to bring Frank onboard.

• 1998 - Frank discovers Lucy Butler's mind-control camp and puts an end to it

• 1999 - Lucy directs Mabius to use the Marburg PrP Variant Virus to kill Catherine. Lucy knows Lara cares for Frank and foresees she will give the vaccine to him. She knows Catherine will sacrifice her life for that of her daughter. Lucy succeeds in killing Catherine and Jordan is innoculized against the Virus. Lara is out of the way so no woman stands between her and Frank.

• 1999 - Mabius uses the Marburg PrP Variant Virus as a tool to wipe out the remote viewers - you can't protect yourself against something you can't see coming.

• 1999 - Lucy creates a chain of clues that bring's Frank to her still wishing to bring him in for herself.

Guest WhiteWolf

Lot of good points there. But I will say that the "Lucy knows Lara cares for Frank and forsees she will give Frank the virus" part is a little bit thin. Isn't it more likely that Lara's decision was completely unforseen by the group and their intention was not only to kill Catherine but Jordan as well?

Anyway Lara was never infected, so who's to say she needed the vaccine in the first place?

I did enjoy the musings, however. Can you provide a link to the blog?

Hi Wolf,

Sadly we can't link to blogs from here but it can easily be found by hitting the Blogs option in the grey bar at the top of the page.

I agree that aspects of his interpretation struggle during analysis but I'm always impressed when people take such an expansive and complex mythos and attempt a definitive resume or timeline. I certainly struggle to reconcile much smaller arcs sometimes and think that Maxx's attempt is incredibly brave.

I do agree with your assertions regarding Lara. At the time she decided to give her vaccine to Frank she was incredibly unstable and unpredictable though in Maxx's defense he is arguing that Lucy foresaw this pre-cognitively rather than by deducing its probability logically.

One element (I say 'one' conservatively) of that plot-aspect that I never understood was why Lara was in possession of the Marbug Vaccine in the first place. The Group went to extraordinary lengths to keep the vaccination programme covert. Even a high ranking member such as Peter had to resort to subterfuge to even ascertain that the Marburg Virus existed and that he and Frank had been inoculated against it. My guess is that in light of his findings he stole a vaccine and gave it to Lara in order that she might protect herself but that is nothing more than conjecture.

Glad you enjoyed his words by the way I found it a real pleasure to read.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest WhiteWolf

I have to say that, while thinking about some of the analysis, it really did occur to me that Peter might have been the one who provided Lara with a vaccine. But the idea that she needed it at all is still what gets to me. I know we are all aware that Lara's whereabouts after Season 2 are a mystery--one of the many mysteries from S2--but I think we can all assume rightly that she was never infected by Marburg anyway. So why would Peter, or anyone else, give her the vaccine? I guess the whole idea of the "foseeing pre-cognitively" of things is what bothers me.

I don't know. S2 had a lot of great episodes, but there were just so many things that threw me for a loop and changed direction from S1 that I have struggled to understand them all.

I think you're right though, that it's brave for anyone to make an honest attempt at making sense out of something so complicated and with so many missing or secret or hidden elements. It's difficult to make sense out of the big picture, but it's nice to think about is in between viewing of the DVDs!

I've often wondered that, too.... Yes, I felt Lara gave her vaccine to Frank because she cared for him.... but #1 Where did she get it, and #2 HOW did she get it were things I always wondered.

Maybe this was a "loose thread" that CC & Co were going to investigate further in season 4. Who knows?

Greetings my friends,

here's my thing,

I doubt very much that Carter would have ever returned to Lara's arc even if Kristen had been complicit in such a thing. When Morgan and Wong started their tenure Carter gave them a mandate to address the falling ratings situation and only one year in which to do so. Kristen, by her own admission, is disrespective of accepting work that takes her away from the man she loves so Lara was conceived as being a one-season character regardless of Carter's intentions thereafter. Morgan and Wong created a character that they considered experimental, she would have no back story, no happy ending, no 1013 trade-mark unrequited love issue and so on. They wanted to explore the possibility of presenting a character and getting us to care about her without resorting to the countless back-story angst that was to be exploited to the nth degree with Emma. Sadly when we last see Lara that was all we were ever meant to see and the character was never devised to be taken any further.

I agree that there is a huge gap in reason between Anamnesis and the final two-parter. Morgan and Wong never explained the time-line that brought Lara to initiation and so forth. Even in the Virtual Seasons the glaring inconsistencies of Lara's story have never been explored and it was deemed preferable to kill her off than proffer a reasoned deconstruction of the post-finale Lara story.

I guess she figures as one more element of the mytharc that was swept under the carpet but considering that the power of the Marburg Arc was reduced to nigh incomprehensible twaddle that isn't surprising.

Being the sad soul that I am I often 'create' the Lara story in my own mind and I'm pretty sure what became of her. Here's hoping VS6 will pause a little in introducing characters we have never met and give a decent coda to one we do know.

There's a Lara story out there waiting to happen methinks...

My thing,

Eth