Millennial Consciousness

Rate this topic

Guest Sheree Dawn

Guest Sheree Dawn

I finished planting my garden this week. I have tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, two kinds of lettuce, green onions, radishes, egg plant, spaghetti squash, cucumbers, and yellow squash. It has been a trip and a half to find squash plants OR seeds. The shelves are bare; the only thing that is plentiful is tomato plants and seed.

I did it for a couple of reasons, initially. One, I like to grow things. When I am in a funk, it helps to get my hands dirty. I am not satisfied with growing flowers; I like to grow that which I consumer, hence my huge-ar$ed mint garden in my front yard. Two, with fuel prices rising, grocery items are also increasing in price. I think a lot of people have decided to grow a garden out of necessity and financial reasons. We have slowly migrated back to "the good 'ol days".

But I am wondering if this trip "back" will awaken some primal spiritual awareness, since growing a garden requires direct interaction with Mother Earth. Perhaps our lives will somehow be transformed through a seemingly unrelated act of financial frugality.

The Millennium of any age, whether it be the end of a century or the upcoming 2012 event, may be nothing apocalyptic in the sense that the sun will explode, the population will not be raptured up or annihilated, but rather we may develop into a society with a conscience and clearer understanding.

Perhaps the manipulation of things in our economy has a positive spin; it's just going to be several years to see the silver lining inside this cloud of poverty.

Guest Byron

I wouldn't mind at all leading a simpler life. At times it feels like life is passing me by and i'm only 22 so if things were somewhat more simple and slowed down i would have no problem with that at all. But, saying that, i don't want to be controlled like a serf which is what im afraid would happen. There are too many bad people out there who try to do just that and do it on a daily basis.

Guest Sheree Dawn

And just when it looks as if there is no hope, as if things are forever trapped within bonds that man has no control over, I went to water my patch of dirt...

Voila', I have radishes and lettuces sprouting up. Greenery in a brown world. Hope for tomorrow.

Guest Sheree Dawn
hmm we're trying to get back to the garden?

tired of being east of Eden?

I think you have no idea of what I am talking about, and if you're trying to bait me into a dispute on biblical theology, it won't work. I won't respond to further posts.

I think you have no idea of what I am talking about, and if you're trying to bait me into a dispute on biblical theology, it won't work. I won't respond to further posts.

Hey, I've watched Green Acres! I know what working the land means!