Finland school gunman kills nine

Rate this topic

Hi Vivi

I have been watching coverage of this on British Television and my heart goes out to all those involved in this senseless and tragic episode. Does anyone have any information regarding on what grounds it was deemed appropriate to grant a license for a firearm to a 20 something cookery student? I am totally unaware as what criteria needs to satisfied in order that such a license be granted but I am curious to know why it was felt the individual in question required or needed such a thing.

My prayers go out to the families and friends of the victims.

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)
Hi Vivi

I have been watching coverage of this on British Television and my heart goes out to all those involved in this senseless and tragic episode. Does anyone have any information regarding on what grounds it was deemed appropriate to grant a license for a firearm to a 20 something cookery student? I am totally unaware as what criteria needs to satisfied in order that such a license be granted but I am curious to know why it was felt the individual in question required or needed such a thing.

My prayers go out to the families and friends of the victims.

Eth

I don't know the legislation very well but I think that just about any adult can have a license here if they are members of some hunting or shooting club, and if they are not KNOWN lunatics. Don't know what was the case here but i guess we will hear that soon.

They've been planning a change in the law, God knows when it will actually happen.

Needless to say that I'm miserable about this mass murder but also mad as hell.

Guest Laurent.

Yes I was quite shocked actually when I heard that it happened again in Finland. We also had recent school shootings in Québec in the last years. They are very disturbing, especially because of the relatively young age of those involved.

just last year (April of 2007) in Virginia, a gunman entered the campus of Virginia Tech and before he shot himself, had killed 32 students...since the aforementioned date, there have been 7 further instances here in the U.S. of school shootings...

4th Horseman...