Necessary Evil - The worst Lance film ever?

Rate this topic

• Elders (Admins)

A few nights ago I saw a film called Necessary Evil. It was so dire, that for a moment I thought that my eyes and ears must be bleeding, kind of like some of the people in the film. I honestly thought the days of Lance starring in such films was long gone, but here another one slips through the net, one that makes you wonder how easy it is to get funding for such trash. I know it pays the bills, but sometimes I wonder why on earth he doesn't turn these things down. Perhaps he turns down plenty of rotten apples, but I'm wondering if Lance would have been more of a mainstream success if he had been a little more careful about some of the rubbish that he's agreed to work on.

I absolutely love Lance Henriksen, but I get so tired of seeing poor Lance giving everything he's got, being the consummate professional that he is, when he's surrounded by talentless wasters who can't act and worse a simply awful script for him to work from.

Chief,

I refrained for replying when this first went up as I knew it was due a repeat airing on Zone Horror and I wanted to check it out. Oh Lordy, what can you say that's positive, I mean that truly, what can you say? It is such a shame to see such a talented and dedicated man phoning his lines in during a debacle put together by a local am-dram group with a budget of £30.25. Shall we refrain from comparing some of the not very special effects to 1970's Doctor Who? Sorry, too late, did it.

As a fan of the man and one who is all too aware of what he is capable of I cannot help but feel my ire rise when I see his face in yet another low budget affair or hear the announcement of his latest film coming from it's official website on myspace. I fully understand how much he adores the acting process, he's never wanted a stellar career he has only ever wanted to act be it film, TV, stage, local school, he doesn't care as long as he is practicing his art. For his fans this can be a disappointing and frustrating thing to see. The last few films I have seen of his have been woeful and his imdb does not cheer me up at all. Sadly, I have read a few blogs and sites of late that have begun by referring to him as a good actor from some shocking films and I believe he is becoming known for this. I spoke to an amateur film producer recently who told me he was looking to Lance for his next venture and whilst I am sure this particular individual will produce something of merit I have no doubt that either way he will get his man. It's a shame but it's also, sadly, becoming the truth.

Best wishes,

Eth

• Elders (Admins)

Yeah, I feel your pain Eth. I think I saw it recorded from Zone Horror too. I watched it with a friend/colleague who likes Millennium and he was wincing as much as I was.

I currently re-watching MLM from the beginning, I just reached Monster. There have been so many times during Season 1 when I have wondered how such an amazing actor could still be getting these awful roles sent to him after showing what he was capable of during MLM. Maybe he seriously needs a new agent, but I have to wonder whether there were moments on set with Necessary Evil when he must have thought, "My God, what the hell am I doing here?".

Actually Chief things might be looking up for the mighty Lance.

Lance is 'rumoured' to be leading the cast of the forthcoming horror/comedy movie 'Punctured'. I'm not sure why it's just 'rumoured' at the moment as the rest of the cast is in place, but, it has a competent cast, this is an award winning script so it is clearly a class act and from what I can discover a shed load of money is going in to it. We can only keep our fingers crossed that this is more than a rumour but let's hope this gives rise to a 'Lance Henriksen' renaissance, it truly has been long overdue for such a fine actor.

Best wishes,

Eth

PS Director Shari Hamrick co-produced Bone Dry, which as far as low budget movies good, is actually very good. I bet she could so wonders with a few coins in her purse.

Shoreline Entertainment has acquired Karl Williams' spec script "Punctured," which won the comedy and sci-fi awards at the 2005 Austin Film Festival.

Shoreline plans to take the project into production in spring, with Shari Hamrick producing and directing. Steve Chicorel will exec produce and Williams will co-produce.

Story centers on a horror novelist who's unable to move on emotionally after the loss of his wife until he meets a beautiful college professor. He overcomes his fears with the help of the original Dracula, a werewolf and a supernatural detective.

Williams won the awards at the Austin fest while attending UCLA's graduate screenwriting program. He has also won UCLA's Screenwriters Showcase Award and its Jack Nicholson Prize.

"Punctured" is an "homage to the films of Woody Allen, if the films of Woody Allen included vampires, werewolves, ghosts and some gore," he said.

I'll certainly cross my fingers.

As a side note, I saw Alien vs Predator yesterday... that was pretty bad!

BEER----> Sorry you feel that way about AVP, I have a poster of it in my garage. I even liked AVP- Requiem.

BELCH

Guest Laurent.

Hahaha! No need to feel sorry. If anyone should be sorry it's me for insulting a movie you like!

Honestly, I thought it had some great elements, but none of them are original: an atmosphere similar to The Thing in some outdoor scenes, some moments reminded me of the good old Aliens and Predator, and there even is a X-Files wink (Piper Maru).

The original elements were mediocre in my opinion, so it sums up to a forgettable movie for me. Glad you liked it though. What's your opinion of Predator 2? Oh and I'm hearing things about a Sigourney Weaver/Ridley Scott project to bring back the Ripley character for a new film; that sounds exciting!

BEER----> Yup, liked P2 also, with Danny Glover. It was sort of a lead in to AvP looking back at it now (IMO).

Sigourney in another 'Alien', wouldn't that be something. BTW, she really loked hot in 'Galaxy Quest'.

BELCH