We Are All Shepherds

Rate this topic

We Are All Shepherds

There are different kinds of shepherds. First we will speak of the biblical shepherds watching over their sheep. The true shepherd walks among them, to get to know them, and for them to know him. In the Holy Land you often would see a shepherd, or even a child, walking with sheep following behind, and that is because they are being led to the slaughter. In front also is a sign of pride and ego, being "high and lifted up," and having no concern over the sheep, just self and a following to have power and control over. A shepherd walking behind the sheep is letting them go any direction they want and will lose most of them if not all because they have no one to show them the true path. He just doesn't care. The true shepherd stays close to them all and always watches over them. His staff has a hook at one end to hook around the neck of a sheep that starts to wander off, and the other end is used to poke wild animals to keep them away from the sheep. Sometimes a sheep will go astray, and when the shepherd has secured the others in a safe place, will follow the sheep that has wandered off. Eventually, the sheep will collapse from exhaustion and begin to bleat, and will continue to bleat until it eventually dies. The shepherd will watch and listen for the right moment before total exhaustion, and then go and pick the sheep up, drape the sheep over the back of his neck, and nurse it back to health and strength. At the same time he is talking to the sheep so it will completely know the sound of his voice, and never stray again, once he puts it back down with the other sheep. And when night falls, shepherds will put the sheep in a coral and lay in front of the opening, or gate, to protect them while they sleep and keep one or more from walking off into the darkness. When shepherds are gathering together for fellowship by a campfire, and it's time to go to sleep, they each make their own sounds and their own sheep will follow them, because they know their shepherd's voice.

The world has a shepherding system, but it's completely different. Most of the time the world shepherds are far away from the sheep, and if the sheep can manage to get close enough they, maybe, can see them, and hear what they have to say directly, however, most of the time they only receive the words through a messenger that the shepherd sends out. And when the shepherd's scheduled fellowship is at its end, they all begin to go their own way. Most of the sheep do not know their shepherd's voice, so the only way they can be separated is to ear mark them or brand them. And along with helping to separate them and prevent any from going astray, the shepherds will send out their dogs to intimidate them, and bring them back into their control.

As we get to know our shepherd and the sound of His voice, we are able to bring others into the fold of truth and love. His voice is "a still small voice," deep down inside your gut, your midriff, not in your head, your intellect, nor in your soul realm of emotions. The worldly shepherds get you to follow them through your mind and emotions, and control you through them. The Lord guides and directs you through your spirit, separated from the intellect and the emotions by the double, (2)-edged sword of the spirit, the Word of God.

FRANK: But only by discarding the questions that confuses us – what do I want – and asking what the world, what the universe wants and needs. Asking what does life itself expect of me.

JORDAN: Which side wins, Daddy?

FRANK: That's what I'm saying. It's up to us.

JORDAN: We are all shepherds.

FRANK: Yes, honey. Yes, we are.

Edited by Earthnut

Guest MRT6644

I just watched the final episode on Chiller today.

I watched a few episodes years ago, but it wasnt until Chiller aired the entire series that I had the chance to see the whole deal.

I always knew it was good, but never realized how good.

Watching the end today really put a chill down my spine. Partly because of the implications of the plot, and probably more because it was all over.

I counted on seeing Frank, Jordan and the others every day on Chiller. Watching a new episode every day for 3+ months, you kind of get attached to the characters, and you take for granted that there is an end.

The images of the 2 running down the hallway and driving down that lonely road is haunting.

Guest Laurent.

Hi MRT6644! Welcome to the board!

Glad you found us and that you enjoyed the series so much! I'm not a big television fan, in fact the only series that I've watched and wasn't canceled before reaching a conclusion is The X-Files (Harsh Realm, Night Stalker, Carnivàle, etc. were all canceled before reaching their narrative end), but the finale to Millennium is in my mind the best way to end a series. There were elements from all three seasons; depicting evil as a sociological problem (Ed Cuffle), a religious manifestation (the Group itself, the 14 stations of the cross) and as a biological impulse (the group turning Lucas Barr into another Ed Cuffle). It had powerful scenes which were logical denouement for some characters (Frank vs Watts, Hollis' pact with the group) and still left us in an open-ended way which allowed the viewers to fill in some blanks, hoping to see the characters again.

Anyway, I find it amazing that people are still discovering Millennium a decade later. Thanks to Chiller I guess. It's a bit disconcerting that some "men in suits" at FOX are willing to sell this brilliant show to other networks, but that none of them had enough guts to help a new Millennium production. If it's still on the air, it's because there is an audience for it; unlike some newer mediocre shows.

Guest MRT6644

Thanks for the welcome!

I watched a few episodes back in the 90's when it aired. I remember falling in love with the show, but never kept up with it and didnt see many.

In January when I heard Chiller was airing it I in Feb set my Tivo to record every one.

Luckily Chiller airs them in exact order, unlike the way other rerun shows are aired.

There have been very few shows I like as much. I have liked other types of shows like Hill St Blues, NYPD Blue, 24, etc, but in a much different way. Those shows are good for instant entertainment and less thinking.

Millenium is like XFiles in some ways. Well written and requires some thinking. However, I think Millenium is much better.

XFiles went in all sorts of directions and most of the stories didnt stick to a constant theme.

So, since the start in Feb, I have watched every single episode, usually on the same day it aired. I'd go home for lunch and watch the new recorded episode.

There were probably only 2 episodes that I didnt like. One was what seemed to be a Halloween special where 4 devil like creatures sat in a donut shop telling stories. I cant remember the other.

Yesterday I watched the last episode and it is sad to come to the end.

There are so many reasons to love this show, and its not the suspense of what happens next show.

Frank Black is an extraordinary character. He is a modest, honest, intelligent person that takes a unique approach to crimes and personal life.

What I realized yesterday is that what makes this show, and Frank Black, special is the special relationship he has with his daughter. That is present throughout the seasons, but takes on a new dimension after Catherine dies.

Seeing the 2 of them run down the hallway of the school is chilling and heartbreaking. Its shows that they are alone in the world and vulnerable. Its a very powerful ending the way they drive off.

I know it is not the ending that the writers planned for, but I think it works.

Im sure there were other loose ends they would have tied off if they had known a year earleir that it was the last season.

I think the writers assumed it was going to continue.

But today I watched the pilot episode again. (Yes, I intend to watche the whole thing again).

In this episode Frank explained what made him quit the FBI. He described how his last case was Ed Cuffle, and shortly after arresting him, the polaroids started arriving.

I think its almost a coincidence that the show ended with Ed Cuffle & his clone, and that was the case that drove him to the Millenium group.

My mind started wondering if the Millenium group was in fact responsible for his original breakdown. Frank mentioned that in the last episode to Peter Watts, about the group sending the Polaroids and the video of Jordan. Is it possible that Ed Cuffle was a product of the group? Did they send those original Polaroids which lead to his eventual breakdown? That breakdown forced him to leave the FBI, and eventually to work with the group.

It seems as though the group always wanted Frank out of the FBI, like in the last season.

Anyway, Im sure I will pick up many more conspiracy theories throughout my 2nd run of the seasons.

Guest Laurent.
That breakdown forced him to leave the FBI, and eventually to work with the group.

It seems as though the group always wanted Frank out of the FBI, like in the last season.

Just like the Devil/Legion himself! That's an interesting theory.

By the way, if you haven't given any thoughts to the "Legion connections" throughout the series, you might one to search through the topics of this board. There are many very interesting discussions on this (and other) subjects!

I have to defend SOMEHOW SATAN GOT BEHIND ME - the episode wtih four demons sitting around. This episode has, religion, philosophy, satire, humor and good insight to the human conditon. Is it campy? yeah Yet it has some outstanding dialog and wit that is rare on a TV show.

Guest AndreTIWWA

I did not intend on continuing the thread, but I must say that "Somehow Satan Got Behind Me" was one of those timeless episodes, like "Humbug" from the X-Files. It stands on its own.

What I did intend was to call attention to a little poll on the 1013 News site (https://universe1013.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20X-Files) where people are being asked which Chris Carter creation is their favorite.

Just thought there should be more votes...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Verbal_Kint

Well, my first post here. :) I just finished watching the show and now i feel like someone close to me died. :sad:

The final episode is absolutely stunning, with everything kind of turning upside down... with Peter Watts appearing to be more ambiguous then we first thought him to be, Emma Hollis betraying her strong beliefs... we see that Barry Baldwin actually admires Frank and looks up to him, although we were led to believe him to be carrier-centred, close-minded, machiavelistic little bureaucrat...

Great, truly great show! Doesn't reduce people to stereotypes (like, for example, X-Files do), doesn't spoon-feed you with conclusions, but forces you to make your own. And, what i consider a quality, is not a black-box, in a meaning that you can see through the creative process, you can notice when there's been a change of screenplay writers, when they gave-up some thread of the story to go to the another direction, and i think that is great because you realise that behind all that, behind the scenes (like in Alejandro Jodorowsky's ''Montana Sagrada'': 'This is everything just a film'), are the people trying to say something, trying to express and share some insight... and knowing that, you try to understand what are they trying to say.

It really is a shame it got canceled in the third season... Did it ever happen, in the history of television, that some show got resurrected 15 years after cancellation? :yes:

PS: Pardon me my not-so-great English, it's not my native language. :smile:

Edited by Verbal_Kint

Guest MRT6644

I had the same reaction after watching the last episode.

While I think they made a good last episode, part of me thinks they made the best out of a season ender that was not supposed to be a grand finale. I think the story line in season 3 was written under the assumption that another season would follow.

I think more was planned for Emma Hollis, like redemption of some kind. Instead she ends betraying Frank and selling out to the group. But then again, that could be the point. That the group compromises good individuals in their time of need, the way Frank, peter and Emma were inducted.

If there was a season 4, it would probably begin by Emma contacting Frank when she was ready to investigate the truth about the group. No doubt that Peter would be found to be alive. The show was probably meant to end around the time of the real millenium, whether in 2000 or 2001.

Well, my first post here. :) I just finished watching the show and now i feel like someone close to me died. :sad:

The final episode is absolutely stunning, with everything kind of turning upside down... with Peter Watts appearing to be more ambiguous then we first thought him to be, Emma Hollis betraying her strong beliefs... we see that Barry Baldwin actually admires Frank and looks up to him, although we were led to believe him to be carrier-centred, close-minded, machiavelistic little bureaucrat...

Great, truly great show! Doesn't reduce people to stereotypes (like, for example, X-Files do), doesn't spoon-feed you with conclusions, but forces you to make your own. And, what i consider a quality, is not a black-box, in a meaning that you can see through the creative process, you can notice when there's been a change of screenplay writers, when they gave-up some thread of the story to go to the another direction, and i think that is great because you realise that behind all that, behind the scenes (like in Alejandro Jodorowsky's ''Montana Sagrada'': 'This is everything just a film'), are the people trying to say something, trying to express and share some insight... and knowing that, you try to understand what are they trying to say.

It really is a shame it got canceled in the third season... Did it ever happen, in the history of television, that some show got resurrected 15 years after cancellation? :yes:

PS: Pardon me my not-so-great English, it's not my native language. :smile:

Guest Another Old Man

I just watched the entire series. And I must say made me sad that such a show could not be kept on the air. But watching the story jump through the seasons could make it difficult for most people to follow and understand. Pity that television must be written for the lowest common denominator. Frank and Jordan driving off into the sunset was... sad, beautiful, tragic, heart-warming, I could go on and on...

And the last message is prophetic: it is up to us.