Sexism on The X-Files?

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

I stumbled upon a recent interview with Gillian Anderson and was pretty surprised to read this particular comment about FOX control over TXF' actors:

I ask about the time she dug her heels in when she discovered the salary of her male co-star on The X-Files was twice hers. "It made sense at the beginning because he had been cast first and had a body of work already, whereas I was plucked from obscurity. Also, I was being paid more money than my parents or I had ever seen in our lives. So I felt very lucky. Then after three years, I was like, 'Know what? This isn't working for me any more.'

"I made a stand and the gap in our pay closed. Was it sexism? Maybe. It's like the way we were directed by the studios; I was to walk behind him, never side by side. I mean, that is f---ing priceless when I think about it now.

Anyone already knew this? Is this still a common practice?

• Elders (Admins)

That's pretty disgraceful isn't it? I'm quite surprised about this, given the culture of sue anyone over anything that is often portrayed in the US. of course I don't really know if it is like that in real life.

• Elders (Moderators)

From what I can recall, GA seeking parity of pay between the two stars was the reason their contracts got out of step. GA did get more money, but had to sign on for longer than DD. Some (many) GA fans thought that her manager didn't do a good job but maybe the suits wouldn't play fair.