Oubliette

Rate this topic

Some time ago, long ago.....there was a discussion about Frank Black as an Empath. In this episode Scully sees Mulder as an empath and also tells him he is empathic. I have seen this episode several times before. I guess I have never paid attention to this. Makes sense to me since Mulder identifies with others that have lost family members and loved ones.

Empathy is a strange thing Joe, especially in fiction. Empathy in its truest sense is the human ability to have a familiarity with the feelings of another without losing sight of the fact that those feelings are not your own. These days, however, empathy seems to have taken on a whole new definition, especially in paranormal circles, to indicate an almost clairvoyant like facility to perceive and experience feelings in an uncannily accurate way without cause or reason. I can't remember exactly how Scully uses the phrase but does she imply that Mulder is simply empathic to people's feelings (which is unremarkable as most people are) or does she use it in the sense that it is something 'Professor X' like and an almost magical facility found in special people?

Eth

PS I love your signature Joe and if it's been there for an age I just didn't notice it before. Long live The Peacock Family.

PPS Did you know M&W were planing a Frank Black/Peacock meeting in S3 of Millennium had they stayed around for the ride? Oh and while I'm on the subject here is The Peacock Family's entry at number 6 in the scariest TV characters of all time.

Yes I do recall reading about the Peacock/MM crossover before. I do know that the "Home" episode was banned for a few years after its release.

Something else I wanted to share about this episode. There is a scene where Mulder is watching the Peacock boys rejoicing by jumping and grunting after killing the FBI Agent. Mulder describes this to Scully as if they are Cavemen.

Recently I watched a special on National Geographic which they now believe the disfigurement of CaveMan is due to years of incestary. I thought I would throw this out there.

empathy seems to have taken on a whole new definition

Some religious communities, not spiritual, often see empathy as a form of divination, or witchcraft. Sad too because Jesus showed empathy throughout His entire earth ministry.

Eth, I don't know about "long live the Peacock family," but HighPlainsDrifter, I think them wishing us a Happy Halloween is really a cool idea. Great idea, love it.

Recently I watched a special on National Geographic which they now believe the disfigurement of CaveMan is due to years of incestary. I thought I would throw this out there.

The problem with incest currently is that often we inherit a recessive disease gene from our parents. When siblings or close relatives breed it is more likely the child will inherit two copies of the disease gene thus exhibiting the recessive phenotype (they will have the disease). Image how the offsprings end up after multiple generations as with the cavemen.