Millennium in Audio Format

Rate this topic

ethsnafu

Dear friends,

As I mentioned here I am a huge fan of Big Finish Productions and the outstanding work they had done over the years producing Doctor Who adventures in audio format. When the show was axed they kept the dream alive for fans the world over by bringing the cast back together and furthering the adventures of the Timelord in audio format. As one who has heard these stories many times I can vouch for how outstanding they are. The scripts, production values, effects and musical compositions are outstanding and after a few minutes you are totally immersed in the adventures, some of which are far better than those that have been televised. Forget the shoddy effects of classic Who, your mind fills in the blanks and the stories become more cinematic than anything that could be realised on a TV budget. After doing the recent Halloween Poems with some of the Millennium cast it has really spurred me on to thinking this is something I would love to happen to our own beloved franchise. Whilst we wait for a movie why not?

We have demonstrated the sheer passion that exists for Millennium and if the suits are nervous about investing in a full blown movie then why not test the validity of the franchise in other formats? The cast are crew are eager to reprise their roles, heck Sarah, Missy, Van and Barry were willing to lay down audio recordings for free and gratis such is their love of the show and their love of the fans. Missy Crider is even promoting these poems herself at Facebook - you couldn't ask for a finer response to a group of fanboys could you?

What I want to know is this: if Lance, Sarah-Jane, Terry et. al. could be brought back together to record a new episode of Millennium in audio format would you buy it? Would it appease your appetites until we get the movie we've all been waiting for?

Let me know what you think guys,

Eth

• Like 1

• Elders (Admins)

Whilst its not the proverbial and ideal movie, an audio based outing written by an ex-Millennium writer and featuring the cast would be a must purchase, for me at least. This would have my vote. :thumbsup:

Guest RodimusBen

I can pretty safely say I'd buy ANY new Millennium product they put out. I would buy an episode written in sanskrit on the back of a paper bag with a magenta crayon if it was an official product and the right people were involved!

Sigh, that sounded so fanboyish... so, to redeem myself I'll say something more specific to the topic. I quite enjoy audio novels. I used to listen to them all the time at an outdoor job I had where we could use audio devices. So, yeah, I'd be down for that, but it would be no substitute for the movie, of course.

Edited by RodimusBen

Hi Ben,

I'm with you on this and to some degree I am a little mystified as why an opportunity such as this has not been seized upon. Almost all shows that have attained cult status over the years have yielded spin off media: be that novels, comics, audio books and the like. Shows and movies that are far less celebrated and far less known than Millennium have all be given this treatment. I was amazed to see recently that an obscure horror movie called Society was being continued as comic. I thought I was one of the few to have seen it. It wasn't widely popular in it's day and it's even less so now yet thousands of comics will sell and the fans will be over the moon and money will be made.

I was really dismayed that after eleven or so months of campaigning, Frank Spotnitz announced the release of a second X-Files comic. After all our hard work we were being overlooked again and I know this is nothing to do with Chris or with Frank, they don't own their rights to either show so it's not as simple as doing whatever the fancy takes them I guess.

I'm getting quite militant of late and somewhat irked that Fox seem content to let our beloved franchise continue in Limbo. If you're not going to do anything with the show then give up the rights. What sense can their be in preventing others from delivering what you can't or won't. If need be I will find a way to acquire them myself and we, as a community, will bring this franchise back one way or another. Silly fanboy pipedream I know but whilst we wait for the movie why not give us a little something to show for our work.

I really do think an audio adaptation would be stellar and hopefully we can spur individuals on to thinking along the same lines.

Eth

• Like 1

Guest RodimusBen

We all have moments of doubt and frustration, but let me tell you this. When I first got into Millennium in the fall of last year, I thought BTFB was a doomed project, something conjured up by a few obsessed fans who didn't know how to let go. Then I saw the amount of passion that not only these well organized fans have, but also the actors and creators who would like to see the show return in some form. The fact that you've managed to not only get interviews from these folks, but things like the recent poem readings, the signings of merchandise in support of the campaign, and so on, is pretty phenomenal. The fact that the core of Millennium's fandom is actually the campaign to bring it back shows a tremendous amount of devotion. Just last week, I sent my first letter to FOX about the return of Millennium, and I am working on converting others and selling those DVD sets. You made a believer out of me, Mark. Maybe that might help you a little to know.

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for taking the time to write that and I thank you for the show of support and encouragement. It does mean a lot. It has been the response of the cast and crew that has made me even more resolute to deliver something at the end of this project. I believe it was Jim who once said to me that we owe it to them and I couldn't agree more. I had a cursory glance at my files and realised we have the opportunity to speak to over thirty members of Millennium's cast and crew over the last year and many more memorable individuals from within the industry who have lent their talents to our project. I currently have two interviews on my computer to publish, two waiting to be returned, one in discussion and something quite spectacular being arranged for the near future: there's something about the show that elicits such generosity of spirit from the people who were part of it. When I spoke to the wonderful Missy Crider she told me, anything you need you just ask. Lance said the same as did a number of others and we couldn't have dreamt for such a response from the people we had admired for so long.

I am more determined than ever that all the faith that people have in us will not be for nothing. We will bring Millennium back, in some form, in some way. And I happen to think an audio adventure is a very good place to start.

Thank you for sending that letter Ben, you couldn't do anything more important to help us.

Eth

• Like 1

Guest thadarkside

Let me jump in on this as well. Coming into this project, I was well aware what it takes to be involved with a fan campaign. I remember this same sort of passion with the Brimstone campaign, but with fewer people behind it. Millennium is a show that continues to grow in popularity even though it's been off the air for 16 years. I have never seen any fan campaign that has had the involvement of cast, crew and entertainment people outside of the show itself so passionate about it. It is truly amazing to me. ON top of that, I have become great friends with several of the cast members and that is just awesome for me.

I'll put it to you like this. Sitting in Lance's suite, drinking a beer with him and talking about Millennium for several hours was the cherry on top. It was such a surreal moment and to have the man himself praise us for what we are doing and offering to do whatever we need him to do is phenomenal. He literally sat in front of me and signed at least 70 photos for the campaign. He talked about how our campaign has ignited the fire in him for a Millennium movie. I am truly honored to be apart of this. As I told James when I was first asked if I wanted to join BTFB, if I didn't believe that this movie would be made, I wouldn't be here. We wouldn't be spending all of our free time working on this campaign.

THIS IS WHO WE ARE...

Guest RodimusBen

Oh hey, TL! I didn't know who you posted as on this board. Let me just keep this love fest going then and thank you for all that you do as well. It's nice to hear a voice out there that is as fond of season 3 as I am. If you check my statistics on the left you'll find have a lot in common in that regard.

• Elders (Admins)

I'll put it to you like this. Sitting in Lance's suite, drinking a beer with him and talking about Millennium for several hours was the cherry on top. It was such a surreal moment and to have the man himself praise us for what we are doing and offering to do whatever we need him to do is phenomenal. He literally sat in front of me and signed at least 70 photos for the campaign. He talked about how our campaign has ignited the fire in him for a Millennium movie. I am truly honored to be apart of this. As I told James when I was first asked if I wanted to join BTFB, if I didn't believe that this movie would be made, I wouldn't be here. We wouldn't be spending all of our free time working on this campaign.

THIS IS WHO WE ARE...

I think I need new underwear. How cool is that! I demand photographs be uploaded into the gallery immediately!

Seriously, comments like Bens above reason to keep going and the number of comments on the blog is now always in double figures (I think!). There was a time when nobody commented at all, and the support of the ex-cast this last week alone has been truly awesome and indicative of what we all know - Millennium hasn't gone away yet.