Songs Millennium Changed For You

Rate this topic

Guest RodimusBen

Guest RodimusBen

What are some songs that you think of completely differently since you've watched Millennium?

I guess the most obvious candidate for this list would be "Love is Blue." But I got this idea when I was in the car this morning and heard Love Hurts by Nazareth on the radio. Talk about changing a song. The scene in Skull and Bones (and you ALL know what I'm talking about) is possibly one of the most disturbing in the series.

I thought it might be fun to suggest some others.

Love is Blue without shadow of a doubt. It became a song I obsessed about for a while when I first became a huge fan of the series and I have it in so many versions including a very strange samba version just to be a completest. There was an instrumental that was used for a deodorant advert in the UK that was very similar in sound to Love Is Blue (some people even claimed it was Love Is Blue) and when the opening notes of it began it always plunged me into Millennium mode. People may argue but for me it's the stand out choice of musical track in the whole series. Dancing Barefoot is another that I mildly liked prior to Anamnesis and have really loved it ever since and Till Then from Matryoshka and The Dark End of The Street from the Sound Of Snow are two other tracks wild horses wouldn't have made me listen to until Millennium made me a real admirer of them.

I don't think there's any I don't like to be honest.

Eth

BEER----> OK, here goes - how about 'The Lord High Henchman' - that one made me go and look for a G & O play to go to. And then there was 'A Horse with No Name', ah the insight there. How about 'Good-bye Charlie' there was an old 50's or 60's movie with that name. And how can we forget Patti's 'Horses'. The list goes on ====

BELCH

Guest RodimusBen

Ooh, Horse With No Name is a good one.

I didn't know most of Bobby Darin's music before Millennium, so it's pretty much exclusively associated with the show in my head.

Oh definitely A Horse with No Name, it's impossible to listen to that song and not think of Johnston getting it with the tubing and the gasoline. (They Long To Be) Close To You is another one for me as is Bless the Beasts and The Children and Rainy Days and Mondays (Rain King - X-Files)- who'd have thought The Carpenters would be soundtrack to die to lol

Eth

• Elders (Admins)

Excellent topic idea. There is no way that I can listen to A Horse with No Name or Close to You without thinking about Millennium. Its with me for life now!

Although you seldom here them on radio now, any of the Cypress Hill songs would also get me thinking of Gehenna too.

Guest RodimusBen

Oooh, great one! Yes, in fact, I remember when I began watching Millennium on DVD last year, right away in episode two I heard Cypress Hill and thought, "Yeah this is definitely a 90s show!"

MM made me a Patti Smith fan...both Horses and Walking Barefoot became favorite songs almost immediately!

(sidenote: and in turn I came to appreciate PJ Harvey who channeled classic era Ms. Smith on her 2000 album "Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea". I had friends that liked PJ Harvey and I heard her stuff and was kinda lukewarm to it...but it was really my introduction to Patti Smith via MM that led to my deeper listening of PJ Harvey)

Also, wasn't there a Blur song in a season 3 ep? I know I wasn't much of a fan of theirs back in their 90's heyday, but at some point there I picked up 13, which is a masterpiece of decent experimentalish mainstream rock.

Edited by wolvesevolve

There sure was Wolves, it was Trimm Trabb. Around the time that Millennium used the track my brother was, and still is but to a lesser degree, a huge fan of Blur and it was almost impossible to be in his company for any length of time without hearing Blur at some point. It's one of the few Millennium musical choices that was firmly engrained in my memory as associated with something or someone prior to hearing it on the show so it never really struck me the way other tracks did.

I had to give Season's In The Sun a mention as well, after hearing Tucker Smallwood crooning that one it chills me to this day whereas it was always a bit of fluff I heard now and again that I didn't pay much attention to before.

Eth

I was a big Patti Smith fan back in the 70s,and saw her in concert twice.Now every time I hear Horses,instead of remembering her on stage,I think of Lara Means goin all crazy town.

But no perception of a song was so trasformed as Love is Blue. It's now a creepy tune that I can't get out of my head after hearing it.Make it stop!!!