X-Files on BBC America

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

This was posted on rec.arts.sf.tv:

https://press.bbcamer...se.jsp?id=22529 - "BBC America strengthens its commitment to sci-fi with all new supernatural Saturdays in 2011."

Complementing its primetime commitment to supernatural drama, BBC AMERICA is also introducing a sci-fi block during the daytime schedule comprising episodes of fan favorites like Doctor Who andTorchwood. The weekday block will see The Doctor have a new American companion – sci-fi touchstone, X-Files. Like Doctor Who, X-Files has long been hailed as one of the defining series of its time.Created by Chris Carter, the Emmy award winning program, launched the careers of David Duchovny (Californication) and Gillian Anderson (The Last King of Scotland, Masterpiece Theatre) who starred as FBI Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, investigating the existence of alien races and other paranormal activity. The X-Files premieres Monday, January 3, 11:00a.m. ET/PT after Doctor Who airings at 10:00a.m. ET/PT.

There are other shows mentioned, so the whole article might be worth reading through for people who get BBC America.

But, I was amused by one response on rec.arts.sf.tv:

Well, if they can pass off ST:TNG on BBCA because the actor who plays

the lead is English, I guess they can schedule a show with a lead

actress who spends a lot of time in England. :-)

I was absolutely bemused by this. I thought BBCAmerica had a remit to provide British TV to a US audience. I don't understand how X-Files has made the schedule despite being very happy that it is still on the screen somewhere in the world. It seems a shame to dilute the brand somewhat as I would assume that most people are tuning into the channel precisely because it offers them the opportunity to see shows not normally broadcast on US networks. A very odd decision indeed.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

I thought BBC America was showing solely BBC programmes (like New Tricks and Waking the Dead). But I noticed a few weeks ago on EpGuides.com that ITV1 series Law & Order: UK is being aired on BBC America.

It is a confusing set up isn't it? BBC America has co-produced shows with ITV before (the new run of Primeval is thanks to such an intervention as ITV had axed it) as well as co-producing things with the main body of the BBC. At least those shows were British born but XF is still a mystery to me. In addition, I wouldn't have thought that The X-Files would have been much of a ratings winner for BBC America. There can be few people who haven't seen the show these days and I would have imagined that showing something original and from Blighty would have stood them in better stead ratings wise. I could be wrong and it could do really well.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

I could say the same about UK telly over here Mark. Just to see some rarely or never-repeated UK series would be great, because they may never get a DVD release. Repeating The X Files on BBC America may very well dilute the enthusiasm for some people of the show.