Millenium - UK first run

Rate this topic

Guest mv666

Guest I Made This

I remember watching it at the young age of 16!

First season was sky one on a Sundays night, second season was sky 1 on a Thursday night.

I remember me and my dad sitting there watching the last episode of S2 and then the voice over saying 'The next series will be back next year' and him saying to me 'didn't they just kill everyone?!'

Ha, yeah I bet there was much confusion. Also there's the irony of Sky 1 not actually showing season three, I think it took nearly two years for it to premiere on the Sci-Fi Channel as it was then known. Interestingly RTE, the Irish television network, still continued to show it, but only in in a grave yard slot on a Friday night, I remember having to set the VCR (those were the days) to record it.

• Elders (Moderators)

Oh, I remember setting up the VCR - either by channel and time, and hoping there wouldn't be any change, or by inputting the programme code, which I had to find by looking it up in the TV pages of the newspaper. And having to do that for each episode aired - no "series link" back then.

No-one seemed to know what to do with Millennium, but neither did the Fox executives:

Ken Horton:

Both the studio and the network were wary of Chris and how to handle him. And because he and I got along and because I seemed to be a pretty good interpreter of his vision, I was designated for both of the corporations, because they’re different companies, to go over and sort of find out what was going on. So I would go over periodically and go, “Chris, what is this show exactly? What do you conceive it to be?” And, as he does, he goes, kind of cryptically, “Seven. I like the movie Seven.” And that was basically it. So I’d go back and there’d be a room full of suits. They go, “So, what is this project about?” And I’d go, “It’s basically Seven.” And there’d be a blank stare, and they go “What else?” And I’d go, “That’s basically it.”

Guest I Made This

Oh, I remember setting up the VCR - either by channel and time, and hoping there wouldn't be any change, or by inputting the programme code, which I had to find by looking it up in the TV pages of the newspaper. And having to do that for each episode aired - no "series link" back then.

No-one seemed to know what to do with Millennium, but neither did the Fox executives:

Oh God, yeah, I remember the VCR 'Codes', those massively long numbers you had to key in. Yep, it's all coming back to me now. I always did the thing of setting the timer, setting the tape to record five minutes before and fifteen minutes after because television schedules can be unreliable at the best of times.

I'm not surprised that Fox didn't know what to do with the show because in all honesty I don't think Chris Carter has ever been like David E Kelley or Steven Bochco, his shows have never been classifiable. Fox may have wanted another X Files, but I think it was great that whilst Carter was staying within the parameters, genre wise, he wanted to go and explore different avenues with Frank and the series. Oh and I love how Horton tells that story on the DVD.